Running Away

Running Away

A Chapter by Mary Greenwell

Chapter Two

“How dare you?!?!” I roared but when I got into Dad’s workshop there were Englishers there. I waited for them to leave and then started at Dad again. “You saw how upset I’ve been without him.” I begged, “How could you tell him that we couldn’t move up the wedding?” I felt the tears grow harder but I kept going, “How could you force him to break-up with me?” I stopped then because I could not talk any more but he held his hand out and I shook my head.

“Alex.” He said and I shook my head again, “I can’t let you get married early.”

“Yes you could.” I snapped. “You could make me the happiest girl in the world if you were only willing.” I whispered and then I walked out of the shop. I turned back to him and said, “I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to forgive you for this, Daddy… I will try though.” I sighed and then still crying I walked into the house to find Bell and Mom sitting at the table. They had obviously heard everything.

“Baby…” Mom whispered wrapping her arms around me. “I’m sorry.” She promised before pulling away and walking outside.

“Let’s go do something.” Bell whispered.

“If it doesn’t include getting married to Andy I have no desire to even see the community.” I whispered.

“Wait…” She whispered, “You promised me you wouldn’t.”

“I told you I wouldn’t until I was sure that Andy wouldn’t come back for me.” I corrected, “Well guess what he came back and we still can’t get married so… yes I am leaving, Bell.” I walked out of the house and started down the driveway. I knew that Bell would wait until I could not hear and then go tell on me and so I started to run.

It was an hour later that I heard a horse running behind me. There was no buggy sound though and so I just kept walking. “Alex.” Andy’s voice came from beside me and I could not help but stop. The horse stopped with me and his next words cut like a knife, “I’m not here to stop you if you want to leave.” He continued quickly when he saw my pain, “I’m here to ask you to wait for a little bit. Let me try to talk to your dad again and then if he still says no we’ll ask to go to another district.”

“We?” I whispered.

“I was going to talk to you about it in the woods but you ran off too fast.” He whispered, “I’m going to marry you Alex. With or without your father’s permission.”

“No community will allow that.” I whispered but I let him pull me into his arms.

“I can find one though that will let us wait the required time for your dad’s permission.” He promised, “I can’t let you get shunned. You would lose Bell and Elizabeth and your mom…” he trailed off when my tears hit his chest and just led the horse and me into the field beside us. He held me until I had stopped crying and then just continued to hold me until we heard Bell’s yells.

“We’re in here.” I told her when she was by the field.

“Thank goodness.” She whispered seeing Andy’s hold on me. “You aren’t running away are you?” She whispered.

“No… not today.” I sighed but they both looked worried, “I know it’s a sin to think about leaving but… I can’t help it. If I left the Amish then I could write and publish my books.” I whispered and Andy’s arms tightened.

“Let me know before you decide to run next time.” He told me and I nodded silently. “We need to get you home then. You’ve already missed dinner. They will know something is wrong.”

“Well you just talk to Dad and then I’ll get ready for the Singing and they will think I just ran off to get everything under control.” I told him and I reached out for Bell walking through the field to the house. I realized that I had not made it very far in the hours I walked.

“You must have been going in circles.” Bell gave me and I nodded. Going in a circle was easy in the community and when you were not paying attention you were sure to go in circles. It was one of the defenses against running away.

“Where were you?!” Dad yelled when we got into the house.

“Walking the circle.” I answered honestly pushing past him but I saw Mom’s tears building and knew that she knew that I’d almost left.

“Who brought you back?” Mom whispered following us back upstairs.

“Andrew got her.” Bell smiled but then frowned, “You’ve got to convince Dad to let them marry Mom.” She whispered and I just walked down the hall to my room. I knew she was telling Mom everything she overheard but I could not worry about that. I put on my new dress and redid my hair. I walked downstairs then to find Andy sitting at the table.

“You aren’t going to Singing tonight, Alex.” Dad told me and I looked down realizing that I hadn’t fooled him about my walk any more than I’d fooled Mom. “This is twice you’ve tried to run.” He started and Andy tensed looking at me, “Both because I’ve refused to let you marry Andrew.” Andy seemed to realize when the first try was at that and just looked at me. I looked away and just stared at the wood floor. “If you are convinced that you can’t be Amish I’m giving you an out now.” I looked up quickly and saw what he meant in his eyes.

“I want to stay Daddy.” I begged, “Please… I’m sorry… I just get upset and…” it hurt worse hearing Dad tell me that he would not stop me from leaving if I wanted to leave than it did Andy. We all knew that if I left then they would have to shun me and I could not stand hearing it sound so okay with Dad to shun me for the rest of my long life.

“Then don’t run off again.” He sighed but opened his arms and I knew that the forgiveness expected out of the Amish was coming out loud and clear. I took my chance and ran into his arms letting the leftover tears run onto his shirt. Mom’s arms joined a few seconds later and I just stayed inside their arms like I had when I’d been nine and had gotten so sick I’d had to go to the hospital. I’d been so scared at the time and so the entire time in the Emergency Room waiting area they’d held me just like this.

“We want to talk about something with both of you.” Dad said after they’d pulled away and so I moved to sit across the table beside Andy.

“Yes sir?” Andy nodded.

“I am going to give my permission for this marriage.” Dad warned but looked right at me before finishing, “You aren’t getting your way because of the tantrum you threw today.” I looked down ashamed of myself and Mom reached across the table taking my hand.

“We aren’t perfect.” She told me just like every other time she thought we were being too rough on ourselves about an inequity we’d committed.

“I’m still sorry that I did that.” I promised and Dad’s hand took my other.

“Now there are stipulations to my permission just like there were with my first blessing.” He told us.

“Yes sir.” We said together.

“Alex I wanted to let you know that you will be getting married the last date available this year.” I nodded but smiled.

“What?” Bell asked.

“The last date is Christmas Eve.” I smiled happily and Andy smiled at my smile.

“I need to talk to Andrew alone now.” Dad told me. “If you would like you can go with Bell to the Singing at Elizabeth’s but I can’t promise that Andrew will be there.” He finished.

“Or you could stay home and we can start on the wedding plans.” Mom added and I smiled eagerly.

“I’ll be back early to help.” Bell promised getting up, “I’ve just got to let Eli know that we won’t be riding tonight.”

“No!” I jumped quickly and Dad looked over at me but smiled realizing that Elliot had told me the plans for the ride tonight. “You need to go riding with Elliot.” I told her and she turned suspicious. “Just promise me that you’ll go riding.” I requested and she sighed but nodded. “Good.” I smiled and then looked at Mom. She looked as confused as ever and I smiled. “I’ll explain once Bell is gone.” I promised her and Bell just walked out.

“When did he tell you?” Dad asked me.

“Earlier this week he told me he was asking your permission and then yesterday he told me that he’d be asking her tonight.” I smiled but then I frowned, “Why didn’t you set the time limit for them like you did us?” I whispered and Mom jumped suddenly knowing what was happening that was so important tonight for Bell.

“Is that why you were so upset?” Dad asked and I nodded. “Elliot is older than Andrew, Alex. His job is more settled and he has the means to make sure your sister has the best life available.”

“Andy works as a carpenter.” I told him, “He builds furniture for the English.”

“Yes but he left for half a year, Alex. You never know what has happened between then and now.” Dad told me but then said, “Go into the living room with your mom and Andrew and I will go into the shop.” I nodded and walked out of the kitchen with another smile at Andy.

“So your sister will be getting married this season also?” Mom asked.

“Yes.” I smiled but then frowned, “It looks like she’ll be married before me after all.” I sighed.

“Maybe not.” Mom shrugged, “You two have always done everything with your own timing.” She laughed, “You never know what will happen.” I sighed but then smiled.

“Can we work on the plans now?” I asked and she nodded. We spent the time that Dad and Andy discussed our marriage bouncing dress colors back and forth off each other. “How about a pale color?” I was asking when Andy walked in.

“Elliot and Bell are outside.” He told me when I looked up at him, “They want us to go with them to get milkshakes.” He explained and I looked at Mom.

“Go have fun. We still have a month to plan.” She promised and I smiled jumping up. I walked over to Andy and then we walked outside together.

“You two can ride with us.” Bell volunteered.

“Nope.” I shook my head. “We’ll take one of the buggies here.” I promised and Andy smiled knowing that I wanted to break rules tonight if I was getting our own buggy. He helped me get the buggy ready and then we took off following Bell and Eli. I moved over into his side though and he smiled wrapping his arm around me. “We get to be married.” I whispered up to him and he smiled down at me.

“Your dad is giving me a year to prove that I can get my own carpentry workshop working enough to give you a good life.” He told me.

“And when you do?”

“He will retire at a year and send his costumers to me no matter what.” He said, “If I get mine started and running well then I’ll keep mine. If not then he will give me his shop.”

“Do you still have your old shop in town?” I asked.

“Yes. The landlord said that I can have it back.” He promised and I smiled.

“Then you won’t need Daddy’s.” I promised, “I know you can do this.” I paused for a second and then added, “Maybe Mom will let me work at your shop a couple days a week again.”

“Even if she doesn’t I would love it if you would after we get married.” He promised and I smiled.

“No need to ask me twice. I love working in the shop.” I reminded him and he tightened his arm. “Was that the only stipulation to our marriage?”

“No. We can discuss the rest after the wedding though.” He promised.

“Why after?”

“Because it’s inappropriate to discuss with you now.” He explained and I tensed knowing exactly where Dad had put other stipulations.

“That’s not any of his business.” I warned.

“We’ll discuss it later.” He promised and I sighed before relaxing into his arm.

“Are you coming?!” Bell jumped up onto the buggy as soon as Andy stopped.

“Yes.” I smiled but I jumped down and hugged her.

“We’ll both be married at the end of the season.” She smiled as we walked into the diner.

“I know.” I smiled, “On Christmas we will be wives.”

“Of men we love and who love us.” She added and I looped my arm with hers. “Did you and Mom get very far with your planning?”

“We’re going to the fabric store tomorrow to pick out colors for our dresses.” I smiled.

“We should do a Christmas theme.” She smiled. “It will be so close to Christmas that…”

“Everybody will be freezing.” I suggested and she laughed.

“Our love will warm everybody.” She promised, “Plus it will give us an excuse to sit closer to them.” She whispered in my ear.

“I need no excuse.” I argued as the boys joined us in the booth. Just to prove my point I moved even closer to Andy and he smiled before putting his arm around my waist. “See.” I smiled at Bell and she laughed.

“See what?” Andy asked.

“That I need no excuse to sit as close as I want to you.” I smiled up at him and he chuckled pulling me even closer.

“Never.” He promised with a kiss and I smiled putting my head on his arm for a second. I sat back up and took a sip of my milkshake and looked across the table to find Bell and Eli sitting close to each other.



© 2013 Mary Greenwell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
Added on March 9, 2013
Last Updated on March 9, 2013


Author

Mary Greenwell
Mary Greenwell

Bloomfield, KY



About
I love to write and read. I am in college right now and so I don't get to write as often as I like but I still enjoy it. more..

Writing
Flashbacks Flashbacks

A Chapter by Mary Greenwell