Accidents

Accidents

A Chapter by Mary Greenwell

Chapter Three

“Bell!!” Mom yelled when we walked inside that night.

“We didn’t think you would still be up.” I commented.

“I couldn’t sleep.” She smiled and Dad came up behind her.

“You’ve seen your newly promised little girls… can we go to sleep?” Dad requested of her and I giggled.

“Love you!” Bell and I called as we walked upstairs.

“Good morning.” Mom smiled when we walked down to help her with breakfast the next morning.

“Bell, I’ll help Dad this morning.” Bell and I switched back and forth between helping in the kitchen and outside every day.

“We’re leaving after breakfast to pick out material for your dresses.” Mom reminded me and I nodded. I ran out to the workshop and Dad looked up surprised.

“I thought it was Bell’s day?”

“I told her I wanted to help out here.” I shrugged.

“Let me guess you have a request?” He laughed and I blushed.

“Kind of.” I admitted, “I just wanted to ask if I could start helping Andy in his shop again.” I promised.

“How many days a week?”

“Only a few.” I promised.

“Are you going to be helping after your wedding?”

“Yes.” I smiled eagerly.

“Then you might as well start helping him out every day after lunch.”

“Really?” I smiled hugging him.

“Really.” He nodded and I smiled even bigger. The door chimed though and so I walked up front.

“Hello Bishop Joshua.” I smiled bowing my head a little in respect.

“Hello Alex.” He smiled back and then asked, “Is your dad here?”

“Yes.” I nodded and then turned to go to the back. “Dad? It’s Bishop Joshua.” I explained when he looked up from the cabinet he was making.

“Good.” Dad nodded and we walked back out together. “Why don’t you go inside and help your mom and sister finish breakfast?” He suggested and I nodded knowing that I was not to be part of this conversation.

“Alex?” Mom asked.

“Bishop Joshua is here.” I explained and she nodded as I started to set the table.

“Alex?” Dad asked walking into the house with Bishop Joshua. I quickly started to worry. “I’m going to take you to the hospital now.” He promised and I felt myself stop breathing.

“What… happen…ed?” I managed and Bell wrapped her arm around me.

“Come on.” Dad nodded and he looked at Bell, “Do you want to come?” He asked and she nodded. “Then come on. Bishop Joshua brought a cab for us.” I followed silently and just clung to Bell’s hand the whole ride to the hospital.

“I’ll go inside with her.” Bell’s voice brought me back to the present and out of my worries.

“Will that work Alex?” Dad asked and I quickly nodded knowing that we would not be allowed alone. Bell pulled on me some to get me to move and then we hurried into the room.

“He’s sleeping.” Eli whispered.

“What happened?” Bell asked while I moved straight to Andy anyway.

“Nobody’s sure. They said he broke his arm in four places and that there was a hole in the concrete.” I flinched remembering how bad it had hurt when I’d punched the barn and I had not even put a hole in it.

“Will he be okay?” I managed to find my voice.

“He’ll need surgery and won’t be able to build for a while but…” The doctor trailed off as Andy’s eyes opened, “Mr. Williams… how are you feeling?” He asked.

“Fine.” Andy promised but he was only looking at me.

“Hi…” I whispered and he smiled some stretching out his good arm so that he could take my hand.

“I’d like to have you sign the necessary forms for the surgery Mr. Williams.” The doctor told him and so Andy nodded to me.

“She can sign for me. I can’t write right now.” He told him and I blushed.

“Are you his wife?”

“Not yet.” I smiled.

“Christmas eve.” Andy smiled and so the doctor nodded handing me the forms.

“Just sign at the x’s.” He explained and so I quickly signed when I finished I looked up to find Bishop Joshua and Dad watching me.

“I told her to.” Andy told them and they both relaxed some.

“I’m here to give you some medicine.” A nurse smiled coming in. She started an i.v and then stuck a needle in the i.v and I watched as Andy slowly went back to sleep.

“I’ll come let you know when he’s out of surgery and you can come back.” The doctor told me and I nodded letting Dad wrap his arm around me and lead me into the waiting room.

“We’ll need to discuss some things.” Bishop Joshua told Dad and he nodded.

“I’d like to get the girls some breakfast.” Dad told him.

“Can I just stay here?” I whispered, “In case anything happens.” I begged.

“I’ll bring her a biscuit back.” Bell promised as Dad handed her money. “Do you want one?”

“Yes and bring Bishop Joshua back something too.”

“Oh no…” Bishop Joshua shook his head, “The wife made an early breakfast.” He explained and Bell walked away. I sat looking at my hands and wringing my dry apron until Bell got back and then I just sat ripping my biscuit into small pieces until Dad took it from me and then I went back to my apron.

“The surgery went fine.” The doctor finally came back. “He’s in the recovery room but one of you can go back if you want.” He looked at me and I looked over at Dad begging him.

“What about two?” He asked.

“I’m sorry but it’s against hospital policy.” The doctor shook his head.

“Then…” Dad and Bishop Joshua leaned over to each other and started whispering and then nodded.

“You can go. There will be enough people around that you will be watched.” Bishop Joshua told me and I jumped up. I followed the doctor and when I got to the recovery room Andy was awake.

“I’m surprised they let you back here.” He whispered obviously still tired.

“Bishop Joshua said that there were enough people back here that we would still be chaperoned.” I smiled moving some of his sweaty hair off of his face.

“What happened, Andy?” I whispered.

“I got mad.” He shrugged.

“I understood that part.” I sighed, “But Eli said that you put a hole in concrete?”

“It’s hardly a hole. Barely even a dent.” He shook his head.

“Why were you so mad though?”

“I had been talking to Dad and he said something…” He shook his head, “It all seems stupid now.” He promised taking my hand. “Alex… they said I wasn’t going to be able to work for at least two months.” He whispered.

“That’s okay.” I promised him, “It might be hard but we’ll get through it. I mean if nothing else I’ll go back to work at the school. The only thing I care about right now is the fact that you are better.”

“I’ve got enough saved to cover most of the hospital bills.” He promised me softly, “We’ll figure out the rest as we go but you aren’t going to go back to working. Not as my wife. At least not unless it’s at my shop.” I smiled some but then the doctor came in.

“I’m going to move him into another room where the rest of the family can come in and then in a few hours we’ll send you home.” The doctor promised and we both nodded. He walked us out and I followed him into the private room.

“How are you feeling Andrew?” Dad asked.

“Fine.” Andy promised but I knew everybody could see the drugs pulling him back to sleep.

“Goodnight.” I whispered as his eyes closed and he turned towards me.



© 2013 Mary Greenwell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on March 9, 2013
Last Updated on March 9, 2013


Author

Mary Greenwell
Mary Greenwell

Bloomfield, KY



About
I love to write and read. I am in college right now and so I don't get to write as often as I like but I still enjoy it. more..

Writing
Flashbacks Flashbacks

A Chapter by Mary Greenwell