Suspicions

Suspicions

A Chapter by ShaunMosley

The restaurant where Jeremiah was meeting A.B.I director Stan Lake was extremely crowded.  It must be the food, Jeremiah thought to himself as he looked around the less than impressive dining area.   The faded red carpet floors looked as though they were a hundred years old, the murals on the walls were obviously cheaply rendered, and the lighting was very poor Jeremiah noted as he scanned the room looking for Lake.  About 10 minutes had passed since he had first entered the dining room before it was finally his turn to be seated.  The hostess, a very pretty girl probably two or three years younger than Jeremiah, looked him up and down with her dark brown eyes and smiled flirtatiously.
"How can I help you?" she asked politely"
I am just here meeting someone Jeremiah replied.  Do you know if he is here yet? His name is Stan Lake.  I tried to see if I could find him, but its too crowded.  
Yeah he got here about 15 minutes ago, he's sitting in the back.  I will take you there.  She paused momentarily still studying his face before adding, "Hey don't I know you from somewhere.  Aren't you Jeremiah Manning, the guy running for President?"
"Guilty as charged" Jeremiah remarked and smiled back.  It was rather exhilarating whenever people recognized him.  He enjoyed being almost famous.
Her smile widened as she pulled a menu from the side of the hostess station.  "I will take you to your seat now Mr. Manning" she said adoringly.
"Just call me Jeremiah,"  he replied.  He was enjoying this exchange.
"Ok,"  she giggled.  "I cant wait to tell Jesse about this, she'll be so jealous I met you in person; she's like in love with you."  Follow me...Jeremiah"  she paused before adding his name and giggled again then started walking towards the back.  
Jeremiah just smiled  and started following her.  He couldn't help but notice her tight black pants and the way her hips swayed hypnotically as she moved.  I wonder how old she is he thought to himself, still looking at her apple shaped bottom.  When they were half way to the table she acted as though she noticed his eyes on her because she turned her head and looked at him mischievously.
" Here you go Mr. Manni...I mean Jeremiah, your waiter will be right over.  She smiled at him one last time and flashed her eyes in that way that women do when they like someone.
Jeremiah caught her arm as she started to walk away, " Thank you so much for you help he said."  He grimaced reluctantly.  He wanted to say something smooth, but his nervousness betrayed his intent.  
"Oh, its my pleasure.  Its not everyday you get to meet the next President of the United States." she smiled and then turned and walked away.  
"I didn't get your name," Jeremiah shouted when she was a few steps away.
 " Well maybe if you are lucky, you'll find out before you leave.  She said playfully, then winked and continued walking off."  That just made Jeremiah want her even more.  
Jeremiah followed her with his eyes one last time, before shaking his head...incredible he thought.  
"Why don't you take a picture Manning,"  Lake said mockingly.  
"Jeremiah turned to his companion, his face crimson from embarrassment."
"Oh,  I was just, I thought she looked familiar, she..." Jeremiah fumbled his words and Lake started laughing.
"Yeah, yeah,"  well take a seat before you burn a hole through hers.  He teased again.
Still beet red, Jeremiah sat down.  Lake was nursing a scotch on the rocks.  Thankfully the waiter arrived ending the awkwardness of the moment.  Luckily the waiter was a guy who looked in his mid twenties.  He hated the thought of being embarrassed twice by Lake.  
"Hello, my name is Billy and Ill be your server.  What can I get you to drink sir," the waiter asked.
    "I'll have a beer, something imported"  Jeremiah replied.  Jeremiah had been able to drink legally since he was 16.  President Johnson had lowered the legal drinking age from 18 to 16 during his first term; a move that had enraged parents.  Alcohol was taxed by the Federal Government and the lower limit had increased sales substantially.  It also had caused more alcohol related deaths  and serious injuries, but Johnson was greedy.  His only concern was money.  
Very good, do you need a moment with the menu Mr. Manning?" the waiter asked patiently.  Apparently the hostess wasn't the only employee of this restaurant who followed the Presidential race.  
"Just the beer for now, Jeremiah replied and then handed the menu to the waiter.  
"I bet you get recognized a lot", Lake commented when the waiter had left.    
"Not as much as you would think,  Jeremiah replied humbly.  The fact was he was recognized all the time.  
"A modest man, just what we need running the country.  Lake said smiling.  If I wasn't already going to vote for Ms. Stone, you would be my second choice."  
"Thanks,  I guess," Jeremiah recognized a left handed compliment when he heard one.  He was already beginning to think Lake was a jerk.  
" Maybe we should talk about why I am here" Jeremiah said
"Okay, I will get straight to the point.  I called you here because I wanted to ask you some questions about Ms. Stone.  How well do you know her?  Lake asked.
"Well its like I told you on the phone.  We are friendly but I only talk to her at the debates, or competitions."  
"Mmhmm, he said, and when was the last time you spoke?  
"I guess about three weeks ago at the final debate before the election." Jeremiah answered
"What did the two of you talk about?"
"Just the normal stuff.  How our families were doing,  how our preparation was going."
"Did the two of you discuss the fact that you are both leading the polls over the other candidates?"
"Not really, we joked about Trimble not having a chance, but that's really about it."
"Donald Trimble?" Lake asked
"Yeah, hes kind of a flake.  Don't get me wrong he's a smart guy, does good at all the academic competitions, but when it comes to socialization, the guy is a real weirdo.  He doesn't talk to anyone unless its to answer a math question."  Jeremiah said.
"Do you think he could be behind Ms. Stones kidnapping."  Lake asked?
"Trimble," Jeremiah asked incredulously.
"Oh, no, I don't think he could even approach a woman, much less kidnap her." Jeremiah laughed at the thought.
"Well what about you?" Lake asked his tone getting more serious.
"I'm sorry what about me" Jeremiah remarked
"Are you the kidnapping type Mr. Manning"
Shocked at the question, Jeremiah's expression turned angry.  "Are you kidding me?"  
    "Well its no secret Alicia is your toughest competition for the nomination and she is kidnapped less than a week before the election.  And so far, nobody has requested a ransom.  Which is usually a kidnappers first demand.  So based on the information we have, the one person who stands to gain the most from Ms. Stones abduction is you."
    Outraged, Jeremiah slammed his hands on the table.  "Now let me tell you something, Mr. Lake.  Alicia is a friend of mine.  I respect and admire her.  If she beats me then well I would have been beaten by a woman who deserves the office of the President.  In fact if I win, I plan on making her my Vice President.  So instead of grasping at straws, why don't you get your head out of your a*s and find who has her.
"Watch yourself Manning, Lakes eyes grew cold.  You just watch yourself.  I am conducting an investigation and so far we have found nothing to determine this is a traditional kidnapping. The teleconference was demanded, we are sure, to let the world know she wouldn't be at the election hall.  The fact that nobody has demanded any money so far, tells us whoever is behind it is not interested in money.  They are trying to dictate the outcome of the election.  
Jeremiah just sat there studying Lake for a moment.  Lake's face was hard and rigid.  He revealed no emotion at all.  In fact he looked like a man who had earned his position through many years of hands on grunt police work.  His eyes seem to tell  the stories of a thousand deaths.  Murders, suicides, torture, Lake had seen it all and he bore the scars on his soul.  
Finally, after a few moments Jeremiah's beer arrived.  Jeremiah took a long, drink of it while Lake finished his Scotch and signaled for another.
"I'm sorry Stan, Jeremiah said.  I guess I could see why you would ask me that considering the situation.  But I would never, ever, do anything to hurt Alicia
Just then a light bulb went off over Lakes face.
"You have got a thing for her don't you?"
"Who, the hostess?"  Jeremiah asked surprised at the change of conversation.
No, not the hostess man, Ms. Stone.  You like her".  Lake said
"I uh, well what business is that of yours."  Jeremiah felt the heat rising in his cheeks.  It was too late, he was embarrassed again.
"Oh, its not...Lake laughed...Its not..but I can see why you would.  She is an extraordinary woman. I would be surprised if you didn't.
"Why don't you just trace her Chromo-tag. You guys can do that can't you."  Jeremiah asked getting back to task
"Well, if it was that simple we would.  Lake replied, "But her signal disappeared a few hours after she was taken.  We aren't sure yet how, but we've got our best tech guys on it.  So hopefully we'll find out soon enough."
The next few minutes while they finished their drinks went by in silence.  Finally Lake stood up and offered Jeremiah his card.  If you hear anything you will let me know right away.  Jeremiah nodded in agreement.  
"Oh yeah, one more thing, don't leave the country."  Lake said and walked out of the restaurant.  


© 2012 ShaunMosley


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
Added on December 20, 2012
Last Updated on December 20, 2012


Author

ShaunMosley
ShaunMosley

Baltimore, MD



About
I am a 33 year old small business owner. I am originally from Lexington Kentucky and currently residing in Baltimore, Maryland. I prefer reading and writing fiction, and other creative pieces. more..

Writing