Declarations and Reincarnations

Declarations and Reincarnations

A Chapter by ShaunMosley

Chapter 13
Lama Denjai was the first of the Bhikkhu to arrive in the meditation room  during earliest part of the dawn, much like he did everyday. He stopped momentarily to look out one of the large stained glass windows on the East side of the room.  The windows had been a gift from the President of the Asian States several years ago for the monastery's role in providing a safe house for government officials during the latest invasion attempt by Euro-Russia.  Lama Denjai's eyes were glued to the landscape beyond the decorative glass watching in wonderment as the sun painted the horizon in violet and fuscia.  The day's first light sparkled on the icy surface of the snow.   As captivated as he was, he had work to do and slowly made he his way to the fireplace.  Lama Denjai was relieved to see the soft glow of embers still radiating under the ash and burnt wood in the hearth from last night's fire .  Soon the room would be filled with his fellow Bhikkhu; anxious to know what the "Great Gyelmo Maksorma" had foretold at Lhamo La-tso lake just a few hours before.  
    Of all the buddhist traditions, the Gelupga monks were the only ones in the world bestowed with the honor of "Gaysi"-the search for the reincarnation of the Dalai Lama.  Sadly, most of the young ones had not taken their vows when Gendan Gyatso had perished, and the immense privilege of swearing fealty to the Dalai Lama was unknown to them.  If he and the other elders failed to find the Westerner who would become "The Chosen One" and restore the balance, it would not matter; mankind would be destroyed.  
    These reflections weighed heavily on Lama Denjai while he tended the fireplace,  stirring the ashes with the iron poker he had taken from hooks hanging on the stone mantle.  The kindling he had skillfully placed moments before burst into flames, fueled by oxygen that flowed through the crevices of the small dry strips of wood. Lama Denjai took a step back-admiring his handiwork and listening to the soft crackling sounds drifting up and filling the large stone room.   Next, he added two larger pieces of wood that cracked and popped loudly as they became engulfed by the now roaring fire.  As the sounds of footsteps and voices filled the cooridor just down the hall of the room drew closer, Lama Denjai settled onto his mat and folded his legs in anticipation of their arrival.  He always sat facing the audience to direct the morning meditation and today no exception.  As Lama Denjai closed his eyes he heard a familiar voice whispering to him.  He looked around anxiously to see who it might be, but no one had entered the room.  Was it his own inner voice he heard, no... he quickly dismissed that as an option.
"It can't be"  Lama Denjai began shaking nervously.
"Don't be afraid old friend," the voice whispered.
"Is that you, Master," Lama Denjai whispered.
 "I am not of this world any longer old friend, there is no need to address me so formally," the voice responded warmly before continuing."I heard your request and I have come to your aid.  I cannot be reincarnated until the balance of life is restored.  The bringers of death have to be stopped, the balance must be restored, and the destruction of mankind avoided at all costs"  Gyatso whispered.  
"Yes, Gendan, that is the foretelling, but how can we find this "Chosen One?  The spirit said he is a Westerner.  It could be anyone in the world."  Lama Denjai replied, having regained his composure.  
"The Prophecy of the Chosen One has existed since the beginning of time, my friend.  It is a secret that has until now only been known to the Dalia Lama.  The Light of Mercy is the symbol you seek.  I am unable to assist you any further than this-to find answers to ancient questions, look to the ancient texts.  I must leave you now old friend, have faith and you will discover what you seek, and with that I must leave you."  To Lama's Denjai's dismay, Gendan  Gyatso's voice was gone as quickly as it came.
    Opening his eyes, Lama Denjai examined the room beginning to fill up with his fellow monks.  He sat motionless, staring ahead while waiting for the youngest monks and those yet to take their vows to join their elder brothers. Despite being emotionally distraught, his face was the perfect picture of tranquility.  It was vital to the success of their mission to instill confidence and hope to his fellow monks, and they all looked at him as their wise and capable leader.  
    Seated in the front row was the twelve elders who had accompanied him to Lhamo La-tso Lake earlier in the night.  The look on their faces were vastly different than the eagerness conveyed in the faces of those who remained behind.  Satisfied that everyone was ready to begin, he rose to his feet and stretched out his hands.  Reaching deep inside himself, he repeated Gyatso's advice just moments before to himself, and embraced his faith.
    "As you all know the elders and myself journeyed to Lhamo La-tso last night to perform the sacred ritual of "Gaysi".  Lama Denjai paused momentarily and scanned the room again with his eyes.  As he assessed the impact of his words on the younger monks, he felt their energy vibrating in the air like hopeful anticipation radiating throughout the room.  Lama Denjai's lips curled in a confident smile.  These young monks were strong in their faith.  Gaining strength from their projected emotions he continued addressing the room with  newly found conviction.
    Lama Denjai, filled with vigor, danced about the front of the room, telling the story of their meeting with Gyelmo Maksorma.  He appeared twenty years younger to the other monks, and astonished looks shone on each and every face in the crowd.  Even the elders were completely engrossed and perplexed by the enthusiasm and passion with which he spoke.
    "In the West there is a boy, the spirit told us-she called him the "Chosen One."  From the water she rose with a God like presence, she was very pleased and indicated that we were all men of honor, as are each of you here fanning his arm about the seated crowd who looked on in awe of this normally static man.   Lama Denjai crouched down and brought both hands close to his body and exploded upwards lifting his arms high above his head and then spreading them apart at the apex of his movement, like the rising of the sun, he added: " The Chosen one will indicate the reincarnation of the Dalai Lama when he shows the light of mercy to the world.  He brought his arms back to rest at his sides and scanned the room a final time, pausing only to catch his breath.  
He then spoke solemnly, in a quiet and serious voice.  " It is up to us to find this Westerner, or the fate of all mankind is doomed to end in a disastrous war."  The color faded from the faces of the younger monks in the crowd, and he thought he heard a few people swallow."  Hold Strong to your faith and cause, and we will succeed, for the light of the righteous will always burn bright enough to repel the darkness of evil."  Inhaling deeply he finished his empowered speech and slowly lowered himself onto his mat before crossing his legs in front of him-as the others already were.  "Before we begin today's meditation I have one more instruction, that didn't come from the Lake spirit.  It was told to me by the spirit of Gendan Gyatso, moments before you all arrived.  Below this Monastery, there is a basement.  Only four of our brothers know of its existence-those entrusted to protect its secrets.  Inside this basement is an ancient Library, built prior to the " War that broke the world", make no mistake we are in desperate times my devoted brethren, and desperate times demand desperate and courageous acts.  Tradition allows only four monks to know of the ancient texts contained in the library.  However, if we do not find this Westerner in time, there will be no world left, and our traditions will cease to exist along with us.  It is to save our way of life, and every soul deserving of reincarnation that we must break our own rules this day.  We need every able body to go to the library and find everything you can regarding the" Prophecy of the Chosen One."  The Bhikkhu looked around the room at each other with looks of trepidation and excitement.  "Please, I ask that you meditate on this matter, and search deep within your soul, for enlightenment.  Be stronger and braver than you have ever been.  You have all been called to this task, and we must not fail-we must restore the balance and free the imprisoned souls.


© 2013 ShaunMosley


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
Added on February 10, 2013
Last Updated on February 10, 2013


Author

ShaunMosley
ShaunMosley

Baltimore, MD



About
I am a 33 year old small business owner. I am originally from Lexington Kentucky and currently residing in Baltimore, Maryland. I prefer reading and writing fiction, and other creative pieces. more..

Writing