Destinations

Destinations

A Chapter by ShaunMosley

    Jeremiah arrived in Kansas City on schedule and was anxious to find his hotel and clear his head. He had been here once before, during a debate a few years back. Sadly this city looked a lot like every other city he had been to visit in the last few years.  Worn out buildings, and poorly maintained roadways, told a story of American tragedy that could have only been authored by President Johnson.  It made Jeremiah furious the American people, his people, had suffered under Johnson's leadership for as long as they had.    Every sagging brick and cracked sidewalk cried of social injustice.  Sorrow descended onto Jeremiah like a dense fog.  This is the last place he had seen his brother, Kevin, alive.  
    "Mr. Manning,  your car sir," said a man dressed in a driver's uniform snapping Jeremiah back into the present.
    "Thank you," Jeremiah said handing the man his luggage before climbing into the back seat of a large limousine. "Take me to the Belvedere Hotel."  
Sitting in the back seat of the limo Jeremiah wanted to call the Stone's regarding his dream about Jade.  The screen twice before one of Mr. Stone's house slaves answered it.  
Mr. Manning, Mr and Mrs. Stone are not here right now?  My name is Eric, how can I help you?  Jeremiah hadn't expected them to not be home at two thirty in the morning.  
"Where did they go?" Jeremiah asked bewildered.
"They are with Mr. Lake from the A.B.I.  Their daughters Chromo-tag came back online earlier tonight, so they went to find her."
"Really, that's incredible," Jeremiah exclaimed!  "When they get back will you let them know I am at the Belvedere in Kansas City."
"Yes or course Mr. Manning, have a great evening." Eric said and then hung up the phone.
Relief swept through Jeremiah.  At least he knew Jade was alive.  Now with a little luck he could get a full nights sleep before the election tomorrow.
    As the limo approached the main entrance to the Belvedere hotel, a bellman stood patiently waiting for his arrival.  
    "Welcome to the Belvedere Hotel, Mr. Manning," greeted the bellman, opening the door for Jeremiah.  The bellman was impeccably dressed in a wrinkle free red uniform and hat complete with white gloves.  
    Simply nodding his thanks, Jeremiah continued through the doors as the chauffeur handed the bellman Jeremiah's luggage.  The Belvedere was by far the best hotel in the city.  The lobby was amazing, boasting marble terrazzo floor tiles with gold inlay.  The massive marble columns seemed to stretch to the heavens where they met with remarkably intricate chandeliers of brilliant chrystal set in polished solid gold.  A fountain centered in the lobby depicted a golden statue of Poseidon, as its centerpiece. The Greek God, hammered from the precious metal, seemed to be welcoming those who were fortunate enough to afford the hotels lavish accomodations to live amongst the Gods.  His meticulously crafted hand held his trident; which cleverly pointed towards the double set of marlbe stairs that leading up to the rooms.  
    Jeremiah strode over to the concierge desk to check in.  The concierge was a woman who looked like she was in her mid thirties and was quite attractive.  She smiled as Jeremiah approached her and greeted him in the same professional manner the bellman had, showing her perfectly white teeth.  Her exquisite dress exposed her perfectly shaped breasts
    "Welcome to the Belvedere Hotel, Mr. Manning."  We've reserved the Presidential Suite for you.  I hope your journey here was comfortable," she commented
    "It was great ,thank you"Jeremiah said, politely extending his arm to her so she could scan his Chromo-Tag for check in.  
    It took less than ten seconds for all of his information, including his preferred method of electronic payment to be entered into the system.  
    "Mr. Manning you are all set. Jonathan our bellman will escort you and your luggage to your room, enjoy your stay at the Belvedere Hotel, and if you need anything please don't hesitate to call.  My name is Jessica." she added still smiling.  Jeremiah couldn't help but be impressed by the ambiance of the hotel and the quality of service he had received so far.   
Jeremiah thanked Jessica and followed the bellman to the elevator.  They rode together in silence before reaching the fortieth floor of the building where the Presidential Suite was.   When they had finally reached their destination the doors opened and Jeremiah stepped out first and then waited for the bellman to catch up before askign"
    "How many rooms are on this floor," Jeremiah inquired to the bellman
    "Just the one sir," Jonathan answered
    "That's great Jonathan, do me a favor," he said patting him on the shoulder.  "Can you make sure I am not disturbed."
    "Of course Mr. Manning.  I will notify the concierge desk not to allow anyone to trouble you sir."  The Bellman responded
    When they reached the door of the room, Jeremiah stuck his forearm against the digital scanner which had been programmed so only he could open it.  The door slid open mechanically, and Jeremiah entered, followed by the bellman who asked where he should put the luggage.  Jeremiah simply pointed to a place in the floor next to the door and then handed Jonathon a slip of paper authorizing a tip to be charged to his room.
    "Will that be all sir? Jonathan asked still displaying flawless professionalism.  
    "Yes, Jonathan, thank you for your help."  
    "It was my pleasure sir, and Mr. Manning sir, I just wanted you to know I am voting for you tomorrow."  Jonathan voiced proudly
    Jeremiah smiled before adding, "thanks Jonathan your support is greatly appreciated."
    Once he had a chance to put away his luggage, Jeremiah decided to have a drink.  He poured himself a glass of bourbon from the fully stocked bar in the corner of the suite.  The Presidential suite was almost as luxurious as the hotel lobby had been.  A grand Piano was placed in the corner of the sitting room, and the southern most wall was built of sliding glass doors leading out to a private balcony that overlooked the sleeping city.  
    Jeremiah stood next to the piano, staring out of the window like doors, and wanted to let the reality of the moment sink in.  The election was tomorrow and he was leading the polls. Soon all of his hard work was going to pay off.  There was one thing that was still bothering him though.  His dream about Jade.  He knew he could have conjured the images of Jade being kidnapped in his imagination.  But his inner voice told him that wasn't true, even though his rational mind wanted him to believe it.  If he only knew why the monks were so interested in his dreaming while he was there.  All he remembered was having a dream about Lama Guyatso one night, a few months after he had arrived in Tibet to study with the monks. The next day Lama Guyatso had called for him after the morning meditation was over.
      Lama Guyatso was a brilliant and quiet man.  He rarely spoke to Jeremiah, so this day was especially unusual.  Lama Guyatso was questioning Jeremiah about his dreams.  He told Jeremiah a few people including himself had been able to dream walk in others dreams, but he had never seen or heard of it before by someone as young and inexperienced at Jeremiah was at meditating.  Guyatso compared dreaming to meditating in that you become spiritually aware of the deepest recesses of your mind when you dream.  
    Mastering meditation however was much more difficult.  He told Jeremiah he must learn to channel his subconscious mind while awake.  Which only confused Jeremiah more.    He had asked the Dalai Lama how was it even possible that someone with only a few months training had an ability even the most experienced monks in the world could never obtain? Lama Guyatso told Jeremiah he was asking the wrong questions.  He shouldn't want to know how he was able to do it, but why was he able to do it.  What was his special gift for?   And would he use his gift to enlighten the world.
`     To the monks enlightenment was everything.  It provided balance to life and death, and often dictated the outcome of where or how a soul was reincarnated.  That is why they spent their entire lives dedicated to its pursuit.   And as commendable and  respectable as that was, Jeremiah needed his goals to be more tangible.  Jeremiah wanted to believe Lama Guyatso, but he was conflicted because there was no logical explanation for waking up, at the exact time he had fallen asleep.  It was scientifically impossible he thought to himself. Jeremiah finished his drink and set the empty glass on the piano.  He quickly found the bedroom and taking off his clothes relaxed for the first time in what seemed like months. The King size bed swallowed his exhausted body and his head deliciously sank into the softest pillow he had ever felt.  He immediately drifted off to sleep.  
    The Gelupga Monastery looked exactly as Jeremiah remembered.  It was dark outside, and the sun must have been down for hours as cold, moist anticipation hung in the air as it does in the Himalayas just before dawn.  It had been more than four years since he had last walked the grounds of this temple, and he smiled fondly as his memories came flooding back.  The garden had remained the same since before the war that broke the world. For more than three thousand years the lush green shrubs, and finely manicured grass had remained unscathed and untarnished by the  atrocities of men.  Wrapped deeply within the embrace of the worlds tallest mountains, the Gelupga Monastery was the most majestic place Jeremiah had ever seen.  It felt as though the essence of life itself was housed amongst these walls, eternally guarded by the humble monks who called this place home.
    Jeremiah knew he was dreaming, but he had often dreamed of being back at the monastery.  Traversing its stone hallways, lit with lanterns, and decorated with ancient scrolls written in languages long forgotten had been a favorite past time of his.  Jeremiah enjoyed staring at the letters and symbols, imagining they held stories of great warriors and heroic deeds of courage conjured in the mind of an adolescent boy, who wanted so desperately to have an adventure of his own. 


© 2013 ShaunMosley


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on January 2, 2013
Last Updated on January 2, 2013


Author

ShaunMosley
ShaunMosley

Baltimore, MD



About
I am a 33 year old small business owner. I am originally from Lexington Kentucky and currently residing in Baltimore, Maryland. I prefer reading and writing fiction, and other creative pieces. more..

Writing