The Challenge of Love Fourteen

The Challenge of Love Fourteen

A Chapter by Norma M Sutton

Previous Version
This is a previous version of The Challenge of Love Fourteen.



The next weeks were long and strange.  My days with the boys were joyful.  Full of adventure, excitement and noise, but joyful.  It wasn't until after they left that my promise haunted me.

Other then when Dave dropped the boys off and picked them up I didn't see him.  And even then he seemed to avoid me.  He even avoided making eye contact.  I wondered at the empty hollow feeling I had each time he looked away.  More and more he seemed to be slipping away.  Maybe if I were older or more like Julie he would see me.  

Then I would remember that day at the river.  Almost, almost, I could almost believe he had seen me that day.  Sometimes I wondered if it was a dream of my making.  Then I'd look at the blue, yellow and green bruises on my legs from slipping on the rocks and know that at least part of it was real.  

I found myself talking to Julie, apologizing for my failure to keep my promise to her.  Sometimes I would hear her reassuring voice deep inside.  But the sadness prevailed.  I could feel No'hta'wiy's eyes following me at times and wondered if he was disappointed in me.  Sometimes I felt I had promised too much.  I loved the boys, but it wasn't enough.

School would be starting soon and Mark and Jason would be getting on the bus in the mornings.  I wasn't sure how I felt about that, but I knew I would miss them.  I had grown accustomed to having William following me everywhere.  After school started it would just be the two of us.


© 2010 Norma M Sutton


Author's Note

Norma M Sutton
Just a partial chapter. No where near finished with it yet.



Reviews

Good job. It seems like Josh has come out of nowhere.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Enjoyed this chapter very much. Interesting read.

Posted 13 Years Ago


seems fine to me Norma! it's hard to go from noise of family around
to silence. you write fine :) enjoyed this read.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love this story and i love small towns
everybody is always so friendly
You are so right you can't keep any secrets
In a small town everyone knows everyone's
Business rumors do travel fast
Love this story and the imagery your words captured
Fantastic i would not change anything!!
Wishing you Peace Love and Light


Posted 13 Years Ago


A very good story. I like small towns. Life changes and we must move with the flow of life. A very good ending to the story. I like stories that tell a story of true life and the problems we must learn to accept. Thank you for sharing.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

9 Views
Added on August 14, 2010
Last Updated on August 14, 2010


Author

Norma M Sutton
Norma M Sutton

Bostic, NC



About
Norma Moore Sutton has written and published two children's books: The First Lamb and Harry Goes To The Fair She has written and published the first book in the Haunting Memories Series: Matthe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Poetry Poetry

A Poem by Tate Morgan