Chapter Five - The Girl Who Lived

Chapter Five - The Girl Who Lived

A Chapter by Taylor Ann

Grayson

 

      Something didn’t feel right. I didn’t know the feeling, but it was off. I glanced around my bedroom when suddenly my phone vibrated to life. I reached over seeing Skylar’s face sprawled across the screen. She was so beautiful.

      I pressed the talk button putting the phone up to my ear. “Hey, what’s up?”

      Sky sniffled. My breath hitched in my throat. “Gray, I don’t know what to do,” her voice was weak.

      I sat up on my bed, throwing my jacket on while the phone was tight against my ear, “Sky, where are you?” I asked urgently.

      “At St. Eves hospital,” she said through a soft cry, “In the emergency room.”

      I ran down the stairs, my pulse spiking. “I’ll be there in five minutes.”

 

      I pushed through the doors running into the waiting room. I glanced around when a small body slouched in a chair caught my attention. I paced over to them as they looked up. My breath froze. It was Skylar. Her eyes were red from crying, as tears coursed down her cheeks.

      “Grayson,” she whispered my name. We looked at each for a few seconds, motionless, before she threw herself into my arms. “Grayson,” she cried wrapping her arms around my neck.

      I hugged her tightly back. “It’s okay,” I whispered into her ear, “Everything’s going to be okay.”

      She sobbed. Her tears soaked into my jacket as I softly swayed her back and forth. Part of me shut down seeing her in such pain. I wanted her to stop crying so badly. If I could’ve said one word to take all the pain away, I would’ve already said it. But there wasn’t anything I could do but be there for her.

      She stayed wrapped up in my arms for about five minutes, before her sobs turned to soft cries. She pulled away, wiping at her eyes. “I’m so sorry,” she whispered.

      I cut her off, “Don’t be sorry.”

      The corner of her mouth rose as she hugged me, “Thank you,” she murmured into my jacket.

      We sat down on the couch in the waiting room as I glanced over at her. Skylar’s eyes were glassed over with tears as she looked at me. “So what happened?” I asked.

      Her finger twitched. “My brother was sleeping on the couch in the living room,” she began unsteadily, “And I was watching television. Suddenly I heard this noise, as though someone gagging. I looked over to see my brother foaming at the mouth,” her voice choked up. “His body started shaking violently, and all I did was stare in shock, before I screamed.” Tears dripped from her eyes. “My mother ran in, and she dialed 911. The ambulance came, along with a huge red fire truck! At least seven paramedics walked into the house, and carried him out. My mother went with him, but I wasn’t allowed to go.” She broke down crying again.

      I reached over as she leaned into me, digging her fingers into my jacket. I hushed into her ear as she cried. I shattered, blinking away a tear that threatened to escape. “Everything’s going to be fine,” I whispered, “Your little brother is a strong boy, he’ll fight through it.”

      She pulled back slightly, “That’s what he did. But Gray,” she whispered, “I watched him seizure for a full minute. Do you know what that does to a person, to a sister?”

      I was speechless. I couldn’t imagine. I didn’t have any siblings.

      “It was the longest minute of my life,” she murmured.

      I pulled her close to me, giving her a kiss on the forehead. “Everything is alright now. It’s over and done with. His heart is still beating, isn’t it?” I asked.

      Sky nodded staring straight ahead into oblivion. “I won’t be able to sleep tonight.”

      I gave her another kiss on the top of her head, “It’s a scary thing. But now that it’s over, you just have to relax.”

      She rested her head against my shoulder, her eyes fluttering shut. “Thank you, Grayson.” She murmured, her voice dying down to nothing, “Thank you.”

 

      Skylar was asleep on my shoulder for about twenty minutes before a nurse walked out of the double doors. I looked up at her as Sky stirred. She stopped before me as I shifted positions, carefully waking her up.

      Sky looked up groggily until her eyes saw the nurse. Her eyes widened, “Is everything okay?” She asked quietly. Her voice was a squeak.

      The nurse smiled in sympathy, “Yes, everything is fine. We did a cat scan of his brain and nothing is damaged. He just suffered an epileptic seizure,” she said kindly. “He somehow got a very mild concussion, and his brain was just reacting to it. But everything is fine now. He’s talking and laughing, and everything is back to normal.”

      Skylar rose from my lap, “Can I see him?” She asked innocently.

      The nurse nodded, “Yes, you may. Your mother is waiting inside of those doors for you. You can go through.”

      Skylar turned to me, “I’m going to go see him.”

      “Do you want me to come with?” I asked, rising from the cushion.

      She smiled gratefully, “No, that’s alright. It’s late.” She hesitated before giving me a hug. Her breath was cold as I gave her a gentle kiss on the cheek. When she pulled away she smirked, “Thank you for coming, Grayson.”

      I smiled, “Anything for you.”



© 2012 Taylor Ann


Author's Note

Taylor Ann
A lot of things happened in this chapter. A lot of which I can completely relate with too. It just shows how much those special people are there to support us. <3
Enjoy.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really think this is an interesting story, and I would like to see you expand it. With a little more detail and perhaps some more "filler" chapters this could be a wonderful romance.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great chapter! Can't wait for more

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Taylor Ann

11 Years Ago

Thank you :) I just posted the next chapter. Hope you enjoy it!
I can relate too. You did a great job with this chapter and I am astonished at what happened. It is so much, I can't wait for the next chapter.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Taylor Ann

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much :)
Dominique

11 Years Ago

Your welcome :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

183 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 14, 2012
Last Updated on August 14, 2012


Author

Taylor Ann
Taylor Ann

Where I Can Be Me, WI



About
You are beautiful, just the way you are more..

Writing
Stranger Stranger

A Poem by Taylor Ann


Stage. Stage.

A Poem by Taylor Ann