The Evolution of Me

The Evolution of Me

A Chapter by Alyssa Dufresne

I was a Poet before I was a "Writer"; I was an Artist before I was a Poet; I was Human before I was an Artist, and I was an Animal before I became a Person.

 

I cannot remember being anything before I was an animal, most likely I was nothing before any of that happened. I can't tell you a damn thing about being nothing, it's kinda hard when you don't have a brain, but I can say something about being an animal; it's fun as hell, cause you get to raise it. As an animal, A.K.A. a small child, you are generally allowed to run rather wildy through the house while screaming your lungs out; however, when I was at that age, I practically was an "animal". I would run around howling, yes howling as in a wolf, while baring my "fangs" and chasing cats. Odd, I know. Eventually I was told to grow up, and so I did, sorta. I then evolved into that human being stage; this mainly means I stopped howling in public. Now being Human, to me at least, is probably the most annoying stage you can possibly be stuck in; you are looked down upon and you have to see the worst that humanity has to offer. In this stage I got to see the cruelty of the majority, the idiocity of adults and their ignorance, and just how much indepence it takes to stand on your own two feet and fight. After all, mommy and daddy can do nothing for you, except make sure you don't starve from lack of food. I think I stayed in this stage for several years, meaning about five or so, and then I evolved, again. I turned into a person; actually, I got stuck mid-morph. Now, I had thought that being just plain human was annoying, it's worse when you can't even identify what you are. I was a "thing". I was a freakish "thing"; a freakish, friendless, creepy thing. After a while, I gave up on evolving, and went straight back to animal. It's funny, most people don't seem to care that I'm an animal, a lot of them seem to like it. An animal is not crude, it's not very refined either. It takes what it needs, occasionally it gets what it wants. It shoves it's way past others, groups up with a few like minded companions, and fights for survival; doing whatever it must to stay alive. What happened next still confuses me: I turned artist. I somehow managed to skip two rather important stages and turn into this, this creative, "gifted" person who could draw and capture the world around her, in detail too. I stayed an artist for about three more years, and I added onto it; I became a poet. By this time I had already given Normal the finger and moved on. I still am a poet, I plan to forever be one, but I am now attempting to move up to the position of "Writer". I have always envyed the Writer; the way they can create stories, and worlds, of their own. I am trying to expand what little imagination I have been given by creating Isabella Jillian Darkheart. In the meantime, I'll be writing about real life. The only thing an animal can truely be in touch with, cruel reality.

 

Though I can only hope I don't lose touch with that too.



© 2008 Alyssa Dufresne


Author's Note

Alyssa Dufresne
This was written sometime back in January before the "Great Deletion"
[-You know - when everybody's work was accidentally deleted by Charlie, our Mod.-]

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
Added on May 6, 2008


Author

Alyssa Dufresne
Alyssa Dufresne

Winston-Salem, NC



About
Formerly the Midnight Writer, Alyssa Dufresne was born into your average abnormally-broke and overly-dysfunctional family sometime in the fall of 1993. After a brief incident involving being adopted b.. more..

Writing