Gone Fishing.

Gone Fishing.

A Chapter by Alyssa Dufresne
"

There's a fine line between standing on a dock, looking like idiots, and fishing.

"

 

Yesterday, we went fishing. Correction – my mother took us to a friend's house and we dropped worms on hooks into the water. Now, I kind of knew we were in trouble when we went to get the bait, and my mom told Emma that she was to carry the container and not open the lid under any circumstances: I found out why later. Once we got to their house, they, my mother, brother and little sis, headed straight for the dock. I sat in the car and waited for Isabel, my puppy, to finish her nap; it took about five to ten minutes before she woke up. So I leashed her up, walked her down to the dock, and sat. This was the first time she had ever seen a lake. Anyway, I looked around, and saw my mother attempting a nearly impossible feat: hook a worm without touching it. Yeah... she was sitting on the dock with a stick, yes, a stick, and a worm squished under it. When I asked her why she had this, she replied, “Because the stupid thing is so frickin' slimy – Eww.” I couldn't help but laugh and tease her a bit. So she told me to come do it. I said, “No – it's so much more fun to watch you do it.” Eventually, I did help. Then we caught a catfish – he was HUGE. However, my little sister cried last time we ate it, so we threw it back after a picture. At the end of the day, all three of us kids had caught something – I caught a baby catfish, my little sister caught a whopper of a fish, and my little brother caught the biggest prize of all, a tree, but it was to big to take home. In addition, we learned some very valuable lessons, my mother is a wuss who doesn't like slimy things, my little brother has bad aim, my little sister is a fish magnet, and, scary enough, I'm the “man” of the house.


Oh boy.


© 2008 Alyssa Dufresne


Author's Note

Alyssa Dufresne
Ever since my dad moved away and my mother got custody of us kids, I've had to be the "man" of the house. I move dead stuff that the dogs bring in, mow the lawn, fix things, and show my mother how to hook up the Internet.

Did I mention I'm a *girl*?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was such a sweet read Midnight Writer, you are a fine example of being the man of the house. I loved your authors note too. Way to go young man, and fishing is a great way....smiling at you, Tai

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

117 Views
1 Review
Added on May 11, 2008
Last Updated on May 11, 2008


Author

Alyssa Dufresne
Alyssa Dufresne

Winston-Salem, NC



About
Formerly the Midnight Writer, Alyssa Dufresne was born into your average abnormally-broke and overly-dysfunctional family sometime in the fall of 1993. After a brief incident involving being adopted b.. more..

Writing