Hazard to Myself

Hazard to Myself

A Chapter by Alyssa Dufresne
"

I am my own worst enemy... quite literally.

"

"I'm a hazard to myself
Don't let me get me
I'm my own worst enemy
It's bad when you annoy yourself
So irritating
Don't want to be my friend no more
I want to be somebody else
I want to be somebody else..."
~Pink - Hazard to Myself

 

     I found that song when I was about nine or ten, and no matter what I say, no matter what new song comes out, that is the song I can most agree with. I have always proved to be my only true downfall. The following will seem incredibly self-centered, but take it as a confidence booster to a writer who sees her faults... a little too clearly.

             The most prevalent area that this theory shows through is in my academic world. In academics, I am almost perfect; that is, I can kick almost anybody's a*s that I do so feel. I have the brains, I have the wit, I have the never-ending attention span, and I have the attention to detail, when I want to. Key word, want. This is where my downfall occurs - if I don't want, I won't. If I feel it is below me, I won't. If it is too easy, I won't. Most of all, if it bores me, there is no way in hell I am going to do it. Take my most recent "failure"; it was a research paper for my English IV Honors class. This paper was to be three to five pages long, double-spaced, Times New Roman, twelve point font, and in MLA format. Along with this paper, we were to include: a minimum of twenty flash cards with information from our sources, an outline, a works cited page, and our first draft. Oh, and did I mention that we had four weeks to do this assignment? Yeah... to make a long story short, I missed every checkpoint (meetings with teacher to review progress and ways to improve the project), and waited until two days before it was due. I flunked, right? Wrong. Actually, I got a B (86/100). Her comment when I got up there - "Could've been a 96." I had failed to make the required twenty flash cards, which were worth the additional ten points. I repeat, I am a hazard to myself.

             The worst part about all of this is that I have grown used to it. Here comes another reason I am my own worst enemy; I am incredibly lazy, and do I mean lazy. This kind of ties in with the If I Don't Want To Theorem (from now on, it will be referred to as the IIDoWTT). The IIDoWTT also ties in with the IHI-YP Theory, otherwise known as the I Have Individuals – Yes Plural. This theory states that I am possibly insane since I occasionally feel I am watching my life as if it were a movie, and with no control over the ending. The idea I have no control over the ending is counter-acted by the deeply engraved moral “The choices you make dictate the life that you lead; 'To thine ownself be true.'” Confused yet? Okay... basically, I have a tendency to lie helplessly watching my own misery unfold, and then try to push my sorry a*s up by fighting with myself. I am a hazard to myself.

             The consequences of the IIDoWTT and the IHI-YP, combined with my lifetime subscription to Procrastinator's Monthly, are devastating. It should not take a genius to figure out just how much s**t I am in. So “doctor, doctor won't you please prescribe me something” because I can't stand myself.



© 2008 Alyssa Dufresne


Author's Note

Alyssa Dufresne
Oh boy... what shall I do.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

117 Views
Added on October 12, 2008
Last Updated on October 12, 2008


Author

Alyssa Dufresne
Alyssa Dufresne

Winston-Salem, NC



About
Formerly the Midnight Writer, Alyssa Dufresne was born into your average abnormally-broke and overly-dysfunctional family sometime in the fall of 1993. After a brief incident involving being adopted b.. more..

Writing