Chapter 9: Into the darkness

Chapter 9: Into the darkness

A Chapter by Doogie

Chapter 9:

I run down the trail as fast as I can. My family is gone. Taken from me and now these other hikers have suffered as well. I think negative thoughts as I race towards the train tracks. It's always darkest before the dawn but It feels as if it's getting darker and darker. I look up in the sky and it's pitch black. The trees and night sky blend together. No clouds, no stars, no moon only black. I look forward again as I run into the darkness. I stumble a few times but I'm in flee mode. No stopping. No resting. My headlight starts to flicker before that dies as I run further into the darkness. Into pitch black at this time. The dark void. The haunting laugh fills my head. They are close.

Ahead of me it looks like it clears up. I keep running as hard as I can while my legs cramp up. I trip over a few rocks I can't see. Tunnel vision in the dark is scary but I can't stop now. I must stay focused. I must survive. Then out of nowhere I'm through the trees and I'm back at the bridge and tracks. I stopped for a moment to catch my breath. My legs in terrible pain. My chest hurts. The moon and stars shining down on me once again. It seems peaceful and feels like a dream. The sun should be starting to rise any moment. For a brief moment I take in my surroundings. The peacefulness calms my adrenaline. I did it. I got away! I close my eyes and start to cry. I see a shadow of a person standing on the train tracks. Maybe it's another camper. I start to hobble over to them as they stand there.

"Dad! " I shout in excitement. As I slowly walk across the bridge. "How did you escape?" As I walk over over I get goosebumps and pause. The look of excitement was the frozen look of terror from before. The hair on my arms reaches into the coolness of the night sky as I look down. His feet weren't touching the ground. He was suspended in the air. I get a few feet closer when I hear that terrible voice inside of my head again.

"Daniel where do you think you're going? We told you there was no escape"

I turn around and beings are right behind me. I stare into those dark big terrifying eyes. I turn back again and dad is gone and more of them are in front of me. I'm completely surrounded. Terrified I turn my head away from the tracks again and stare into the creatures massive eyes that are now inches from my face. My body freezes. I can't move. I can't scream. I can't cry. I hear a loud humming above as a bright lights surrounds me. The last thing I think to myself is what if every time before was like this? How many times have I been visited? If I survive what if I can't remember this when I wake up? Could this be a dream? Then the closest being reaches towards my face...


Drip, drip, drip. I moan as I wake up to light rain falling on my face. What in the world? I think to myself. I feel sore and the back of my head hurts. I look around and see Dad and Zach next to me. I panic and I wake them up. We were in the middle of the field. Our backpacks next to us and packed already. I look around and see our campsite not too far from us. What are we doing out here and not in our tents? How long has it been? I keep looking around thinking something feels odd. Then it hits. Oh no, I think to myself. "Dad, Zach, where is mom???"





The end for now...
But the terror will continue...


© 2022 Doogie


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

43 Views
Added on December 29, 2021
Last Updated on January 11, 2022


Author

Doogie
Doogie

Denver, CO



Writing
Prequel 1: Endless Prequel 1: Endless

A Chapter by Doogie