Chapter 23-2

Chapter 23-2

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 23-2



* * * *

 


Gartooth scorned by Lord Morgan his master, he did not take it lightly as he sulked back to his brotherhood on Zolkren. He knew Morgan cheated him in his prize catch and had gotten the information his brothers obtain with their lives. T


The only problem was the proof he needed that was left behind, started with that wretched old woman as he looks down at his left hand where his two missing fingers were. That the knife had struck them clean off. “Yes.” He hissed remembering her as he killed her that very night and that Caption. Thou he never did find his staff among her belongings as he ransacked her tent.


“It will be just a matter of time that’s all my brothers,” as he laughs among them. “For her trail will lead us to what we are seeking among the dead, for they speak beyond the grave.” Mixing powders of spice and casting dark magic upon the stone as Gartooth lays the body on the altar of the Caption and the old woman.


The old woman enchanted still wrapped in her sheet. The brotherhood chanted around them with painted faces among the chalked lines of candle lights calling forth the spirits to return, taking up the bodies once more. Nothing happens as they wait sprinkling their dust on the old woman wearing the ring around her neck inside the warping doesn’t move. Then the enchantment breaks as they open the sheet and remove the ring finding a scarecrow instead.


Gartooth screams in anger in one swipe chopping the head off the scarecrow with his sword as it rolls onto the dirt floor. The fire in his eyes of anger as white anger fills him with such rage, knowing he was tricked then knowing that she must be still alive. The question is how? Looking around the room surrounded by his brotherhood holding their swords anger him more, nobody lives after being struck by a Darzzee blade.


The master promised them himself for these are made of ancient magic of the dark shadow long forgotten. His credibility was gone now as he looked at his brothers laughing at him. For now, his staff is gone and he can not run among them like he used to. Now this, as he looked down at the head of a scarecrow at his feet. As they laugh calling him a “Jardul” walking way laughing, snickering behind his back and round the corners on the street of his home-world.


He was completely alone with no honor, no title except a fool. There was only one thing to do as he looks back with fire in his eyes… Get revenge, kill the old women, and find his staff.  Then return with prize himself before the master’s feet with the greatest honor bestowed on him by the master “the three brothers in chains” as Gartooth smiles making his gate back to New Downing “Will see who the Jardul is my brothers. Somebody knows something.” As he looks down the valley floor at the town, his eyes flicker red with anger on his prize once more….



* * * *

 


It was a rough start at first as Jaydan gathers together his Lead Captions together and Quarter Masters around the tents. Only he knew where they were going in his mind at this time and very few on the High Council themselves were privileged enough to know.


There were several things Jaydan was facing as he looked at his Lead Captions and Quarter Masters. Some would fall away some would become stronger because of the journey as he looks at the Whitmore’s tents across the way, they too would be tested as they learned to come together and become stronger.


“The master of light said.” ‘There is time and place for all things as they run there course through the patterns. For if they remain true and pure it becomes strong, if unguided it runs wild and it may weaken the vine.


'Yet it also true that if cradle, it will not grow at all. For it is them that must learn for themselves whether they choose the path of stones and the briers or the easy path that leads them down to pits of darkness so lightly before they can turn back to the other path instead.’


Jaydan divided the people into three groups based on readiness and the strength so they thought. In reality, he paired each group up with the same qualifications or similar skills they could all share among them. Providing they were willing to learn from each other.


Taking the list of each group he organized back to the master, not that he was a lot of help as Glen put his arm around Jaydan looking over EJ’s farm and the valley where he intends to build a new home for them all. Glen smiles looking at the list and handed it back. “The choice has always been yours. I can not tell you,” as he smiles “if this is right or if this is wrong my friend.”


Jaydan could see in his eyes as he felt great sorrow for the people on the list. Yet there is happiness to mixed in as he smiles back puts his arms around him as The Master himself tells him this his task, not Margaret’s or Nathaniel, but his, for his time has come as all things does in the cycle.


“It has been chosen for and only you. Nathaniel couldn’t do it for it was not meant for him. Sure he could pull off for a time, but in the end, something would be missing the same for Margaret. The cycle broken, the link ends in the wrong place”…... “No my friend,” Glen handing the list of people back to Jaydan. “You decide within your heart which group they belong, for that will always remain true.”


In the end, as Jaydan looks about his Lead Captions and Quarter Masters as he pairs them up with the people, handing them each a list of families they will be in charge of.


He looks at them each squarely in the eye. “Men these are our people our town folk that are now in our hands. That I am now placing in your hands to watch over them, to guide them as we travel to our new home. Others may follow us as we walk through their villages, that may have been destroyed or in the process of dying from the hands of Morgan.


“We will offer our help with whatever we can give them. We will turn no one away. In your groups support them, offer friendship among you, teach others of our craft. No matter how small the person is or great he was makes no differences as you all travel together as one company.


“You will become one family as you watch, listen, and help each other as we travel across the lands. For where we are going is far and we cannot travel by gate alone to get there. This will test your strength, skill, and ability to survive….. For Morgan’s hand has touched more lives than you have ever known.


“Our task is simple but hard as we look at our people. We must find a new home to call our own. This task is my task as well yours as I guide you to that place where we once more can call home.”


Jaydan pulls out a small bag and takes six white stones on a gold chain, lays them out on the table and said says. “Each one these stones is “warding stone” that were made so we could communicate in a council room chamber. These stones can only be used by you once I place them around your neck. If fallen in battle a new Caption will be selected, but the stone will not work until I myself or another Caption who I send can provide a new stone.”


Jaydan slowly places each stone around each of the Lead Caption’s and Quarter Master’s neck and smiles when sees Caption Tweed's heart that EJ gave him then moves on. Then returns to the front with his hands clasped behind his back. Because the hard part was coming, yet it would be relief in some ways.


Jaydan looked at all the tents down at the valley floor. Jaydan slowly picked up the lists he’d been working on for nearly a week. He looked at his Captions in their eyes. He wonders deep down if he has chosen the right men for the right people and so on. Remembering the master’s words ‘chose with your heart, my friend.’


Jaydan slowly hands each list to his Lead Captions he has chosen and whom he has wrestled with in his mind and heart for days to lead these people. Caption Rigs, and his Quarter Master Gergans, Caption Tweed and his Quarter Master Sir Drealin and Caption Tomas and his Quarter Master Erlik. These three Lead Captions are the ones Jaydan trust with his life as he paced back and forth among them.


Only two-Quarter Master he knew well enough Sir Drealin and Gergans. Erlik he knew very little except he came from a small town up north from Springfield of the Knee abees. Derrick says he's a good man to have around when things get tight, he knows how to survive off the land and knows when danger is approaching.


It was a toss between the two, Jaydan wrestled with for two days deciding which Lead Caption would need his skills the worse. But in his heart, it, rested in peace as he picked Tomas instead of his own or Rigs it felt right somehow. So did the people on the paper as he walked through the camp seeing their faces. He almost knew them well not by name, but who they are and personality.


Jaydan looks back at his six men standing before him and smiled. “I realize this is a lot to ask… for a Lead Caption, for that matter my Lead Captions.” Jaydan quickly summons his staff as they watch knowing now that something about to happen. The spot where they have been standing becomes all quiet as he cast an enclosure spell. Then a blinding light filled the area as it engulfs them with peace.


They find themselves on a hill with an altar made of white marble. Glen walking up the hillside then stands by his side. Jaydan kneels as the Master of Light takes Jaydan staff away then it shatters into dust onto the altar. Glen called forth the wind and the rain and then lightning as it fells upon the altar, a new staff is reborn. Glen placed one hand on Jaydan and the other with staff then nods as the wind blows. Jaydan to was now reborn once more with his staff. Jaydan filled with new purpose and life as he too is set apart on this journey.


The Lead Captains all kneel before the Master of Light and Jaydan as they place one hand and staff upon them, for now, they too have been reborn and the Master knows their hearts are pure as he smiles back at each one. “Go my sons.” For the Captions to have been changed as Jaydan places upon them each a silver moon on their collars these are his three Synerals and new Captions at their side and friends.


These six will lead his people to a new home and protect them. For they have the heart and the mind of the people as he looks into their eyes he can see their heart is pure. “Now it’s up to us as we lead them,” Jaydan said taking his new staff in his hand it felt right somehow as he leads his men to the chamber of the council he has made just for them.


Jaydan stands before his six men around the table. In the corner, there is a flag for each of them representing each group? The Eagle, The Falcon, The Dove. “The Eagle group will go first for it is the spy group and will know what we are heading into. The Falcon will be the second group for support of the Eagle group. The Dove group is the weakest of the two for its mercy and peace and aide for the rest. All groups neither one should not be too far behind the other at least more than a week or less.”


Jaydan could see it in their faces they understood as they nodded as they look at the charted maps on the table of places where they will make a gate to and from and where they can’t. These maps have been only shown to one other person beside him. The Master of the gate of this world and beyond, for he has chosen a special place a place that he will give them. Peace for them all, where they can live together. Yet for them to get there they must prove to him and give up something they hold dear.


Jaydan knew this long ago when he met him then, he was just boy at the time and Nathaniel as they promised back then to keep this place a secret all those centuries ago. Now it was time as he looked around the table at the map he understands why. He was chosen long ago, it chose him then, he was meant to find it for his people now.


Jaydan stands taking his staff, stretch’s it forth as a white light creates a line as the stars and the galaxy’s flash away; Jaydan showing a planet before them with two suns and three moons around it. Jaydan taps his staff on the ground. With a quick rush of wind of brilliant color they were standing on the high peaks on a hill looking down on empty valley floor.


The trees lush with green and nature everywhere. You could hear water running off a waterfall somewhere. The sky bluish green, you could see the two suns and the moons, it was a late afternoon. The air crisp and fresh after morning rain, the soil rich and black ready for planting. The Mountains landscape were breathtaking as they shimmer black and green and red crystals.


Jaydan laughed pointing out far and wide. “This will be our new home. The master calls it Evitlen meaning. “Heart of the Mountain.” With that Jaydan waves his hand, it is gone before their eyes as they return once more to the camp now dusk as he and they shake hands and pat each other on the back taking the flag. “We shall have one more final supper together as a camp for the morrow we say goodbye as one company heads out.”





© 2020 Shep


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

58 Views
Added on February 21, 2019
Last Updated on January 24, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep