Chapter 22

Chapter 22

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 22


Unlike the dungeons below Morgan’s chambers were less ornamented with fixture. It left you with a dark and cold feeling and for Jeff lying on the bed. He could tell something had changed through the bond he held with EJ. His body still weak yet getting stronger quickly as he looks down at his hands they seem to glow with a cold sensation going through him.


Jeff tries to move around a bit feeling the chains still clamped to his leg. “At least I am not in the dungeon anymore,” he replied in a whisper as he looked around the room. He could hear the guards outside the door walking down the hallway. He knew by the sounds that soon that Morgan was planning on moving forward with his plan of domination of gaining the full power of “what is lost long ago.” 


Jeff wonders himself the mysteries that lie within it. Some say power, some say untold riches beyond or both enough to control the worlds. It has nearly been a week since the last time he saw anyone as he sleeps in Morgan’s chambers. Things have been rough on him as Morgan questions him every day. He tries to get more information on the bond that he carries and more information on the high council if he knew who they are? Making sure he is who he says he is. He came close last night and would have almost gotten the information if he could if somehow the bond was still open somewhere.


Morgan lifts Jeff’s head pouring more tonics down him while he sleeps. “Soon my Prince you will be unstoppable when your strength returns. For the light will never touch you again as your heart grows cold.” Morgan placed the vile back into his pocket resetting the ward around the room closes the door behind him. Knowing if someone was listening or takes the boy he will know who and where.


Morgan concentrates on the boy's mind as he sleeps; hoping he will find what he is looking for. Not realizing in the room where the boy sleeps a soft warm glow of white light encompass the boy as he sleeps night after night as Jeff leaves part of himself with the boy to heal the body removing most of Morgan tonics.


Jeff ventures out in spirit form as he walked the hallways. Unlike EJ in the Jaydan cambers he is transparent because his body is somewhere else. Jeff had no substance he was barely even a ghost at all because he was using most of it to maintain the life of EJ’s body. This gave Jeff a chance to listen in on things going on about him and finding out what Morgan was doing as he looks at maps on the table. His biggest surprise was finding out that two high council members have been discovered as Morgan’s followers and learned that Jaydan has taken Derricks place as the new Judge of time or timekeeper of the gate.


Jeff reading notes in Morgan study was always helpful when he needed information on his progress. Jeff smiles when he reads the notes about nothing on Downing’s, brothers, or the Whitmore’s, but came close to one or possible lead to the three brothers in Jayden's camp. Jeff eyes nearly fell reading that. Wondering could it be if so why would Jaydan be so careless. Sadden by grief as he looks at all the worlds tied in a black ribbon at their destruction as noted in Morgan journal pined pointing what he has done to each one as he glorifies himself as they suffer in his name.


As Jeff was reading the names on the wall a bright light surrounds him right where he stands. It was so bright Jeff had to cover his eyes for a moment before he could see again. Jeff was standing in a garden similar to the one he brought EJ to except this one was full of life. Four people sitting on a bench under a tree. He knew Derrick, Jaydan, and Bowden the fourth person as he glanced over at the face, he couldn’t believe his eyes. It was EJ himself, “but how is this possible since he supposed to be changed somehow?” He said.


Jeff made his way over to the bench from the gate as EJ laughs running over to him to greet him. Why the rest sit there and laugh at the boy’s excitement seeing an old friend. But it only lasted for a mere second as Jeff tries to pick him up in his arms and hold him close to him. Realizing he could not touch EJ at all as before as his arms and hands slipped through him. Jeff looked at three sitting on the bench as the boy walks by his side unaffected by his touch.


Derrick and Jaydan explain to Jeff the reason why he can not touch the boy as Jeff looks at EJ by his side. A soft tear forms from his eye as he understands. “Now then Jeff,” Bowden pipes in. “We have gotten that out the way, we know that you haven’t been affected too much by Morgan or you wouldn’t be here for the darkness cannot or evil of a man minds enter this place, for here it reviled what’s on your heart and all illusion are gone. For they cry out for the master to save them and is never heard as the light embrace them once more in the light.”


Jeff tells them all that he has learned of Morgan in his study and maps. “Alas, my friend we can’t help you with information except for this place where you will be able to come in your sleep or when you're not walking through the halls. It is a gift from the master of the light for you and EJ to communicate since your bond is broken.” Derrick gives Jaydan a glace looking at EJ as a queue that they need to be alone with Jeff for a moment.


Jaydan trying catches his interest. “EJ do know what else this place has that other place didn’t have?” Pointing over in the field down the road EJ could see his pony.  EJ getting up running over to the fence laughing then looks at Jaydan with wondering eyes as they both walked down the road.


Derrick laughed watching EJ running down the road with Jaydan right behind him. Then his face gets long and serious and his mouth tightens. “Jeff the body that we have created for EJ is a living being which can be hurt and can die just as easily as if he was in his real one. It no longer just mater and magic in time it to will die.


“When you see EJ must never tell him where you are at no matter how bad things get for you or him. Morgan has placed several new wards when you are asleep, right now he is probing your mind as you sleep looking for anything that might help him.” Bowden pulls out another pouch starts mixing some ingredients that are only found here where Morgan can’t go, that master himself handed him to him.


Taking the juice from a rufnety gum tree and Bowden grounds the spices into a small cup as he was directed. “This will remove and erase memories of your past only in the body, not in the spirit. “Bowden has agreed to play possum give it to you while you're asleep in the chambers. Dressed as one of the guards stationed by your door who is right now is asleep at his post. Nothing will happen to the guard. We decided to give him a different post somewhere else because he doing us a favor so we will do one for him not being touched by Morgan. Giving him a chance to a take different path in life you might say then one he is on right now.


“When you wake you will become stronger, Jeff you will be Morgan’s Dark Prince set on this path for a time as it has been foretold in the stars ‘for he shall reign with destruction untold on many worlds at his feet not knowing the hunger that waits.’ But there is one part Morgan does not know, yes there is only one in the end, but it is not him that finds what is lost.  It is the boy as it waits for him at the end of his journey with his friend by his side.”



* * * *

 


EJ was so excited to see his pony again as he rubs his head gives him a nice apple to eat from a tree. “I knew he was still alive,” EJ glancing over at Jaydan.


Jaydan laughed. “Of course he is, your Aunt Margaret made sure nothing would happen to him or the roosters and the chickens or any of the Downing and Whitmore livestock,” as they walked through the farmyard down the road a farmer waves to Jaydan and comes over to meet them at the gate.


“Hello EJ,” as the farmer looks down at the small boy and Jaydan. He looked around down the road. “Just you today?” He asks. As if he was excepting to see some more people. 


Jaydan smiled at the man in the farmer's overalls. “EJ this Mr. Glen Tremens who runs this farm.”


“Pleased to meet ya son,” as he rubs EJ head. EJ was shocked as he looks at Jaydan and back at his horse, how come he was able to touch and feel them and nobody else?


Jaydan kneels down so he could look him in the eye EJ. “That’s because they're here in spirit just like you.” Tears form in EJ eyes as he looked across the field looking at his pony “their dead aren’t they?” He asked.


Jaydan could see the hurt look on the boys face as tears being to fall for his pony. Mr. Tremens kneels down resting his arm on the boy's shoulder. “No their not dead because if they where you wouldn’t be able to see them like me seeing you. Your not dead least not yet,” as he tries to laugh to put a smile on the boys face. “Your body is just somewhere else on vacation.” EJ smiles looks up at Jaydan remembering about the apple and the two halves. Maybe it applies to his pony as well and the Downing roosters?


Feeling better EJ wiped the tears from his eyes gazed once more about the farm. It was a little farm not as big as Downing farm, but big enough. It had a nice barn and large yard with trees and a swing and tree house in the front. It almost reminded EJ of a home on the Downing Farm. He could smell fresh bread baking right out of the oven. Jaydan smiles at EJ as he watched EJ eyes wonder around about the farm glancing about everything. “Well don’t just stand there,” Glen putting his arm around EJ. “Let’s go inside and have some nice hot bread and meet the misses. After all son, I understand this your farm. I’m just the caretaker,” Glen replied.


EJ turned his head looks at Jaydan as he followed right behind them shocked. The first words out EJ mouth as he entered the house. “My Farm?” 


Glen, Jaydan laughed. EJ eyes open wide with new wonder. “Yes all yours, the master said you need a place where you feel comfortable and at home, this is your home away from home. When you come here with Jeff and others nobody can enter this place unless and until their heart is pure enough that they and you see the light in their soul.  For they can not dwell or sit with the master as he asks for the mask they hide behind, for they will not give it to him willingly so they to will perish as they hide behind another mask, leading them deeper into the pits of darkness. For it is the mask we must we all wear and must not hide from the master for it his mask. He knows them all well as we sit by his fire as light and the darkness are one and the same.”


EJ looked around the room of the farmhouse, it was cozy with little fireplace wondering if it ever gets cold here to use it. He was already missing his Ma as Mrs. Tremens comes out of the kitchen with some slices of fresh bread and butter with jam on a tray with a pitcher of lemonade looking around the room as if more guest were coming.  Jaydan calmly nods that they be here momentarily as she sets the tray down and joins in the conversation.


Jaydan and Glen try to explain to EJ how things work and how he can be in two places at once like his pony who is dreaming in a field of green thinking of him and the roosters of the some the livestock doing whatever they can not to upset him.


For it is true that in reality as he looks at talks with Tremens that the caretakers are dead and have past on like Jeff, but the Tremens have been given this special task to guard well the gate and the boy why he is here, that no harm will come to him and maintain a safe environment for him and Jeff to come to and for his family from time to time as their skills increase.


Derrick enters the farm with Jeff somehow seems strange as he looks around at the place as he enters the gate for a brief minute he stops and looks at Derrick as if he didn’t know him. Derrick waits as Jeff comes back transparent just like EJ then feels bewildered.



* * * *

 


The Guard that was asleep, Bowden slips into his mind then placed a sleeping spell on the other guard as he went inside the room. Setting off Morgan’s wards knowing time was of not on his side as he rushes across the room quickly. Bowden begins to pour the vile down the boy's throat then changes both guards into mice placing them into his pocket and dissipates to a nice safe spot. Putting the mice in a cage for safe keeping for now on a shelf in his library with lots of cheese and things for them to chew on when they wake up.


Morgan storming down the hallway finding both guards missing at their post he enters the room seeing the boy still in the bed where he left him. Morgan feels the air of the ward, seeking the change. Find only the one guard breaking the ward as he looks at the boy sleeping, “but the guards are not here.” Morgan probing the boy checking if anything has changed not finding anything which is a curiosity in itself, Morgan cannot find anything that he has done to him either. As if something or someone is blocking it to affect him.


Morgan tries to wake the boy from his deep sleep but is unsuccessful. Thinking of the tonic he has been giving him may have been working after all. But it still bothers him about the guards being gone and entering the room. Knowing full well that he would kill them if they so much even touched the boy or disturbed the room in any way, thinking this he grinned… “Cowards.”



* * * *

 


Bowden hurries back to Derrick as they were starting down the road to the farm where the boy is by now. Bowden nods to Derrick as he looks at Jeff feeling the effects of the master’s tonic working through his system. Jeff turned to Bowden bewilder then looks at Derrick as if he was lost for a minute tell his spirit mind reaches him as he shimmers in and out.  Jeff noticed they are sitting on the grass before entering the gate of the farm. Jeff ponders as he looks at the trees and little farm out in the middle of nowhere. Derrick turned to Jeff. “How do you feel?” He asked.


Jeff laughed, “Like my mind just went through a blinder.”


“Well, it was necessary my friend, like this place you will understand once we all go through that gate. For that is the master’s gate Jeff, Morgan can’t go there or anything of Morgan’s for that matter.”


Jeff looks down the road at the main gate they all traveled to thinking that was the gate as Derrick and Bowden explain how Morgan tried to trick them using a world just like this one to gain two followers of the high council that extra precaution was needed to be in place for all them and for the boy and his family.


Reviling nothing who they are now or where they are or nothing and that the master has placed a limitation on Jeff as well. While he is in EJ's body for a time, it’s up to him to care for it as his own. Enhancing Jeff skills as a ghost while maintaining EJ’s body while out gathering information so does not drain his strength. That Bowden has given him a special gift from the master himself that will remove all the bad substance and tonics that Morgan gives him that will increase the boy’s strength faster.


“Yet is up to you Jeff,” Bowden said. “How well you play the part of Morgan Dark Prince. Because if you don’t become this Dark Prince. It is worse then if don’t, for every one's life is hanging on the balance until Morgan is destroyed and will be when the time is right. For he too has a journey like you for it is told in the stars and must walk the path before it ends....”





© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

64 Views
Added on February 20, 2019
Last Updated on January 24, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep