The Talon Family The Dead Moon Part 3

The Talon Family The Dead Moon Part 3

A Chapter by CLCurrie

“We are over the base,” the pilot said from the radio in their helmets. Michael nodded at his brother with the smiling stitched up face painted on his helmet, and the smiling face with its tongue sticking out, nodded back at him. They both glanced over to Harley, whose helmet was plain and boring, as she gives them a thumbs up.

                “We are good to go,” she said.

                “Good luck out there,” the pilot said. “I’ll be on standby.”

                The door the spaceship blasted open, pulling them out into the darkness of space. It took only seconds for them to be away from the ship where the boosters started firing on their boots, pushing them right at the base. The ship, of course, could have landed on the moon letting them get to the base easier, but Paladin didn’t want to risk another ship, or anyone gets off the moon. They wanted to send in a small unit to disable the portal while everyone else on the base was dealing with whatever was coming out of it. If the small team, the three of them, couldn’t stop the portal then they had to get out of the base before it was destroyed.

                Any of the Knights back on earth could blow the base from their desk, or some of the ships hanging out around the moon could drop a few bombs on the base taking it out. If they had to kill everyone in the base while keeping the structure whole, the Knights could open all the doors to the base sucking all the air out into space. Michael guessed that would be the worst was to meet an end.

                He hit the moon hard and was almost thrown back into space, but the little amount of gravity caught him. He added an extra blast of his booster to make him stick to the ground.

                “You okay?” Raphael’s voice came over the radio.

                “Just miss judged a little,” Michael said.

                “Get over here, boys,” Harley ordered standing beside a gray building, the same hue as the moon itself. She knelt at the door, typing on the computer built into the forearm of her Combat Suit. They tried their best to rush over, but it was hard with the rough gravity to run in.

                They both landed beside her as she said, “Looks like the blasted the air out of this area.”

                “That’s not good,” Michael said.

                “Looks like whoever is left is on the other side of the base,” she said.

                “Do they know we are here?” Raphael asked.

                “I’m sure they do,” she said with the door being pulled open to a dark hallway with a broken flashing light, “but it won’t matter, they can’t help us.”

                They stepped into the dark hall, locking their boots on the metal floor as everything that wasn’t bolted down was floating around. “Be ready for anything,” Harley said. They had checked their bolt rifles back on the ship but they all double check to make sure everything was green.

                A map flashed into their helmets with a big yellow dot over where they had to go, and they started to slowly move down the hallway. Michael couldn’t stop the smile from breaking across his face with the map in the upper corner of his eye because it always reminded him of a video game. Sometimes, his life was more surreal than the games he played or the comics he read. He couldn’t read the words well in the comic because of his massive dyslexia but the pictures made following the story a piece of cake.

                They took their time down the hall, checking each doorway as they passed. They would have moved a little quicker, but the boots keeping them from not floating away made it a little hard to walk. They didn’t have flashlights on the end of their weapons or bending from their helmets like you would see in the movies because they would give your position away. The bright light would also kill their night vision as well if they had to cut the lights off and on. No, the had night vision built into their helmets, allowing them to see almost as well as if they were in daylight.

                “What happens here?” Raphael asked, noting the black marks of a firefight.

                “The reports haven’t come through all that well,” Harley said, “but someone said it might be ghouls.”

                “Ghouls?” Michael question.

                “You know like zombies,” Harley said. “Like in The Night of the Living Dead, although those were not real zombies, more ghouls like.”

                “Right, right,” Michael said, checking the room to his left to see a few parts of a body floating in the dark. “I was just making sure I understood what you said.”

                “Yup, I said ghouls.”

                “I hate magic,” Raphael said. The last time they fought ghouls was when Michael was fourteen and someone had attacked the White House with magic. The Talons were in the area, enjoying a family day out when the orders came down for them to deal with the attack. It took longer than they plan, and Raphael got the brunt from a magic bolt tossed at him. The spells messed with his mind and took him a couple of months to get over the event. He did get over it the best he could, but to this day he hated magic and Michael couldn’t blame him.

                “Exactly,” Harley said, “I don’t think this is magic. I don’t feel any here.”

                “That is good,” Raphael said as she stopped in front of him making both of them stop as well. The aimed ahead while Raphael covers the door to their right and Michael cover their back. They were almost standing on top of each other, not saying a word. No one could hear them outside of their helmets, but it was best not to say a word. Whatever made Harley stopped had all their hearts beating fast. They were not ready to fight ghouls on the moon.



© 2019 CLCurrie


Author's Note

CLCurrie
I’ll try to make this short for the both of us, but I feel, I need to add a little context to my stories on here. All the stories I post on this website are what I call “break stories.” They are either stories I go to when I get stuck in long from novel or stories, I write to explore a world. So, what does this mean? It means I enjoy these stories, but I don’t put everything into them. So, why am I posting them? A fair question and the reason I’m posting my stories on this website is to have fun, to show you my growth but most of all to give you a little taste of the worlds I work in. What does this mean for you? It means you can judge the work as you wish and by all means help me with plot, characters, and building the world, but I ask you to ignore grammar problems as best as you can and the style in which these stories are written. My page on here is my sketchbook and you guys get to see all the rough, nasty parts of my writing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
Added on May 29, 2019
Last Updated on May 29, 2019
Tags: #Adventure #Saturdaycartoonfun #

Adventures of the Talon family


Author

CLCurrie
CLCurrie

Harrisburg, NC



About
I am a storyteller who comes from a long line of storytellers. I literally trace my heritage back to some Bards (poets and storytellers) of England. My family, in the tradition of our heritage, would .. more..

Writing