The Island-  Part one

The Island- Part one

A Chapter by Coyote Poetry
"

A dream turned story.

"
                                                                              The Island


I am sitting alone near Lake Huron in Port Austin in late 2020. My mind found a memory and I am trying to seek the memory out from hidden parts of my mind. I dislike  my mind now. My mind had forsaken me. I am 62 years old and the eleven anthrax shots and  300 malaria pills had stole my memory. Sometimes I can't tell the truth from fiction. Maybe the memory of the island was a utopia type dream?


It was early 1989 and I was barely staying above water in health and mind. I went to the funeral of my brother who committed suicide. My second brother in two years who left my world without a goodbye. Their death made my life fruitless and useless. I decided to take a drive, I went north toward Lake Michigan. I followed the backroads till I found the bridge to Upper Michigan in my view. I saw a small sign, "Welcome to Idyllic, a place where no-one is rushing and the lake is around us." 

I took the turn toward Idyllic and after a short drive. I saw a long bridge, maybe two miles in length. The bridge was ancient and beautiful. The bridge had Greek art on the walls of the bridge. You could walk the bridge if you wanted, a walkway where you could see the lake Superior moving and dancing. This was a idyllic place and I already understood why they called her by the ancient name. I drove the bridge slowly, enjoying the view of Lake Superior and the artwork on the walls of the bridge. At midway of the bridge, a turnoff. I turned into the turnoff and left my truck. Many cement statues of ancient Native Americans dancing and looking at the lake. Each one, had some poetry. I read the poetry on a Ojibwa woman statue.

                                         "Utopia

We seek everything, we want to be the king of the forest.
One day we learn.
We have enough,
we have the trees, the water and the wildflowers.
We have our children, our family and friends near.
The utopia of a fine life.
Being happy with enough."


I went to my car and I felt lighter in mind already. I foresaw a wonderous place already. Idyllic was already making my sleeping mind come alive. I wanted to stop and write but I had to discover what this place was offering to me. The small island seem lightly in population and very quiet. I drove till I saw the downtown area. A four block square of small cottages, bars and restaurants. I saw few people roaming the city. It was noon and I searched out for some food.
I walked the city and everyone I met, said good afternoon or hello. Most of the people were young and they looked content. They were lightly sun-kissed by the warm Spring weather. I found a restaurant with many lunch specials. A pretty red-hair waitress introduced herself. My name is Luna, welcome to Luna's heathy and tasty foods. Would you like something to drink? I told her, the corn-beef sandwich and a coffee please. She smiled and she told me. Welcome to Idyllic, I hope you enjoy our island.

She brought the food and the coffee and she told me. A music festival at the park, all day, into the evening. I hope you have time to enjoy. I believe you would like. A little Jazzy and some folk songs too. Enjoy the food and thank you for stopping in. The sandwich was wonderful, the corn-beer melting in your mouth and the coffee. Strong and tasty. I paid the bill and I told Luna. Thank you for the amazing food. She smiled, looked deep into my eyes. She told me, please try to have some fun. Sometimes, we must slow down and figure what we need.

I left her and she watched me walk away. I was her only customer. She told me to walk five blocks on the main street , the only street, she laughed and she told me. Can't get lost in Idyllic. The park dead-end at the lake and the lake Superior had a wonderful view. I saw many people sitting near the center of the park. You could see Lake Superior and I was already in love with the city. The set-up was ancient Greek style. The soft chairs settle into a cement, was nine layers of seating. Every chair had perfect view of the stage. Someone had a perfect vision to create a place where music could be appreciated and performed by skilled musicians.

I sat away from people. The people were beautiful, most were young, the women wearing Spring and Summer dresses, the men were wearing shorts and t-shirts. The few older people, were healthy, looked strong and they were alert. The music was wonderful, a pretty woman sang the Jazz songs. I wrote in my journal.

                    Idyllic

Lakeside city,
honored by the gods,
pretty people and good song.
A blessing for the people needing peace and salvation.
Dear Idyllic.
A needed blessing in my world of confusion. 

I looked-up and a pretty woman in her Spring dress, showing tan shoulders, beautiful face and eyes of wonder. She asked, dear Salinger, sitting alone, barely can hear the songs. Are you hiding or seeking?  I smiled and I told her. Maybe both, us Salingers, we like to be ghosts among the living. Maybe a place of safety or maybe. Need to find some silence? She looked sad and she asked. You want me to leave you alone? I reached-out my hand and I told her, my name is Johnnie. Please stay and talk with me. I need voices, not silence. She took my hand and she told me. My name is Nicole, a artist, healer and masseuse, herbalist and singer. I told her, I am a want-a-be Hemingway, slave for a big company and looking for something worthwhile to live for.

She smiled and she whispered. The song is better in the front, I have some sweet red wine and you can join me and my sister Lana. We may talk you to death, but we wouldn't mind, if you joined us. I smiled and I told her. Thank you Nicole for being kind to a stranger. I do need some good company today. Nicole took my hand and dragged me to the front. A girl with long brown hair was making the jazz come alive. A beautiful woman stood-up with eyes of hazel green, flowing brown hair down her back and a kind smile. She introduced herself. My name is Lana. Welcome to Idyllic, where life is pretty slow and we like it, slow. Please sit down and share our five bottles of red wine. The music is played till 12 pm.

I thanked them and Nicole handed me a glass of wine. She raised the wine glass-up to the sky. To new friends, better days and more laughter. We touched glasses and I looked at Lake Superior. I did a private prayer.

Thank you Lord of life and death.
Allowing me to land in the proper place.

                               Dancing Coyote


© 2021 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
New story being born.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Rye
We seek everything, we want to be the king of the forest.
One day we learn.
We have enough,
we have the trees, the water and the wildflowers.
We have our children, our family and friends near.
The utopia of a fine life.
Being happy with enough

I throughly enjoyed this part and this chapter. Very descriptive, and I adore the imagery.

Posted 4 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

4 Years Ago

Thank you dear friend. I appreciate the comment.
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Wow. You are welcome sir. Best of luck and effort.



Reviews

Enough as it turns out is the entire universe but it must be enjoyed once glance at a time. Wonderful penning, my friend:)

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

3 Years Ago

Thank you dear Pryde. Chapter two open up the doors to the story.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
Death and suicide specifically is quite heart wrenching. It's really hard to cope with it! When we feel really alone and life seems like a big void then a calm and serene nature and company of like minded people can uplift the mood. I really liked this write as you wrote it so sincerely, as always.
.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

3 Years Ago

Thank you my friend. I have 4 more chapters to write. I appreciate the comment.
Having a sibling who committed suicide, I relate a lot to this story. I just learnt to appreciate life in all its beauty as the author did here. Its wonderful to connect with strangers and make friends for a lifteime. WE were all strangers once and now we are friends enriching one another's life. Tank you for writing this uplifting story full of love, friendship and joy. The human connection makes life so much more magical.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

3 Years Ago

Hello dear Divya. I have lost four brothers to suicide and alcohol/drugs. Please keep reading my fri.. read more
Utopia

We seek everything, we want to be the king of the forest.
One day we learn.
We have enough,
we have the trees, the water and the wildflowers.
We have our children, our family and friends near.
The utopia of a fine life.
Being happy with enough.

Amazing words, my friend.

Your simple choice of words that hold heavy, deep meanings.
The beautiful women in your poetry and stories.
The lessons learned.
The food and coffee you describe which makes me hungry.
Your writing has a magic of its own.
And I am honored to read it.

Never stop writing.
~Aysha.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

3 Years Ago

Thank you dear Aysha. I appreciate the comment.

"We seek everything, we want to be the king of the forest.
One day we learn.
We have enough""
Many Congratulations on your newborn book Coyote! This first chapter truly is a fascinating and lovely read. I wish my dreams were like this! So well-penned and love the style of prose and poetry combined. Your lovely ladies are like wildflowers sprinkled throughout. Beautiful imagery. Seamless writing. I look forward to reading every chapter...

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

3 Years Ago

I have four more chapters to write dear Annette. Thank you for reading and the comment. I do appreci.. read more
You always get that sense of failure when someone close to you commits suicide, your own immortality is brought into question, and strangely enough, distance seems like the journey we all take, and when that journey ends the one in our mind takes over. I think it was a journey you found yourself and one that brought some peace.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

3 Years Ago

It did and thank you Paul for reading and the comment. I joined a war to heal.
A good and detailed introduction to your island in the Midwest story. Nice name and lovely descriptions. Enjoyed it sir Johnnie. Will come back for more when the time permits.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

3 Years Ago

Thank you Sami. I will try to finish today. Need five more chapters and I appreciate the comment.
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

You are welcome sir.


My appetite has been seriously whetted my friend ... this is such a beautiful chapter .. the first of many I shall encounter, I hope .. a page filled with perfect prose and interspersed with Coyote poetry ...

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

3 Years Ago

Thank you Neville. I am working on this one. The story came to my dreams. True or not? I don't remem.. read more
my goodness...I had no idea you had a book waiting for me to discover.. Idyllic.. a good name for a place of peace and healing.. I will be wondering a bit more.. but maybe after I have had a little nap..

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

3 Years Ago

12 chapter done and five more to write. Thank you for stopping by my friend.
Great writing. I liked it very much.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

3 Years Ago

Thank you dear Sarah. I appreciate the comment my dear friend.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

479 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 13, 2019
Last Updated on February 2, 2021


Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..