Time to Think (Chapter 10)

Time to Think (Chapter 10)

A Chapter by DecentlyOkayWriter
"

Obvious is hard.

"
The not-quite gentle rumble of my father's drunk footsteps as he heads up to the stairs quickly induces a few new guests to check into Myself Manor. A few rush to find a place to stay at Home Hotel, which is usually closed. Must be a rare opening, I giggle to myself. Sometimes I think I might be insane, but surely anyone might think that occasionally. Soon I hear a door creak open- too far off to be Liam's, but too close to be my parents' room. Olivia's. Hope she didn't come back early- her closet doesn't have a lock on it- so father doesn't tend to check it- he probably just heard something falling or whatnot.  And then it closes, but there's a weird scuff to it. He's heavy drunk, then.  Soon, what sounds like the door to.. my parents' room opening. I think. Well, I hope. It closes with a thud, and a bit of a- oh. Oh no. I start to get ready to leave my closet- glancing at my neglected saxophone buried under my clothes. It makes me feel a bit bad, since most of my other instruments are in tip-top shape- but my saxophone drives everyone mad. It doesn't help that I'm not.. much good at it either. I turn back up to my lock, concentrating on the whole stay-focused ideal, spinning the dial. I crawl out, moving as fast as I can while being quiet to Olivia's room- it can't be one of them, right? Olivia wouldn't be home and Liam's not that stupid- The window's latched-  I dash to Liam's room. Da- father wouldn't be able to get past the locks, right? And- I could swear that it was Olivia's door that opened- Liam's closet door is opened, and before I look to his bed, my heart almost shrivels up and dies on the spot. But he's on his bed, towel wrapped around his upper arm, just like usu- wait. That's not usual. My brain flickers to the details, finally deciding it can work now. I glance in his closet again, taking that in before he hurries to shut it like he usually does, and it's covered in towels, some looking questionable, and three small boxes, fancy and closed tight, in view. And then my brain skitters to the towel around Liam's arm, and then to the expression on Liam's face- which looks normal enough, except he doesn't usually look like he could stab you with a pen. "Get out. Dad's got mom, so it's going to be a rough night of sleep for you, might as well try and get some sleep in before anything horrible. School tomorrow too," He pauses, scrambling for something else. He always aims for three points to make his case. He continues quickly with an, "I'm busy anyway, and I don't want to talk." and so I back up a step, lightly closing the door, before retreating to my room, closing the door. I'm wondering if I'll regret that later. I've never been a leader, have I? I pull out my flute, the softest of my instruments, and play quietly. I'll go to sleep soon.


© 2024 DecentlyOkayWriter


Author's Note

DecentlyOkayWriter
Pardon my nonsense. Thanks for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

49 Views
Added on March 6, 2024
Last Updated on March 6, 2024


Author

DecentlyOkayWriter
DecentlyOkayWriter

Khaznot Quay



About
A insignificant dot in the sea of writers. . . . . . I'm a little off and on lately. I'll respond to read requests within a week, though. I try to post at least twice a month if not more. I've been.. more..

Writing