5.

5.

A Chapter by Erin Elizabeth

5.

 

  “What are we doing for your birthday?” Justice asked, sitting on a couch in the living room. “It’s exactly four weeks from today.” She opened her laptop and logged into her Facebook account.

     “You mean what am I doing for my twenty-first birthday?” Parrish asked her sister. Her back was turned, opening a bottle of Land Shark beer with her new bottle opener key-chain.

     “I figured now that you’re here, you’d want to… stay at home and do something. Like… a family birthday party.”

     Parrish gave her sister a disgusted look and took a sip of her drink. “What did you say?” she asked, walking closer to her sister. “Did you just use family and birthday party all in the same sentence? Come on. No. I’m turning twenty-one! No family birthday!”

     “Well, when I turned twenty-one, Mom and I invited everyone over. She made all of my favorites and we got a cake. It was great! So much more fun than going out and smoking… crack like you and your friends.”

     Parrish laughed. “Last time I checked, I don’t smoke crack. My friends don’t smoke crack. I don’t even know anyone who knows where to get crack!” Parrish said. “Okay, that last part was a lie but, there’s nothing wrong with having a few drinks.”

     “You’re right.” Justice agreed. “There’s nothing wrong with having a few drinks. But…” She looked at Parrish as if waiting for her to finish the sentence.

     “Go ahead and say it.”

     “Okay, fine! I will. You drink like… a… twice-relapsed homeless alcoholic! There!”

     “Oh, f**k off, nark.”

     “Look, I’m just saying that maybe you should slow it down a little. I know you’ve been over-doing it because you’re still kind of heart-broken over-“

     “Watch it.”

     “Sorry. I know you don’t like to talk about her.”

     “Just… don’t bring that up, okay?” Parrish told her sister. “It’s in the past so leave it in the past.”

     “Well, maybe if you got some closure, you’d feel better and wouldn’t drink so much.”

     “Oh, God d****t!” Parrish yelled. “What do you want me to do, huh, Justice? Call her after she told me to never speak to her again and forget about her?”

     “No, I guess not, but-“

     “Should I ask her why she did what she did and made the decision that she made? Why she chose her and why she doesn’t love me anymore?!”

     “Calm down, Parrish. It’s not like it’s the end of the world.”

     “Oh, yeah, says the girl who’s only had one boyfriend and has been with him since the tenth grade. You don’t know what the ‘end of the world’ feels like. You’ve never had your heart broken. And lucky for you, now that you’re actually engaged to Julian, you’ll probably never know what it feels like.” Parrish picked up her bottle and headed for upstairs.

“Not all of us find the love of our lives when we’re fifteen. And if we do, or rather think we do, they’re certainly not still around when we’re twenty-four, giving us marriage proposals, moving us into apartments with them because they say they want to spend the rest of their lives with us. You, my friend, are ‘that girl’ that the rest of us think is imaginary. And you know, I’ve gotta say, thinking people like you didn’t exist… felt a lot better than knowing the truth.”

After Parrish was gone, Justice looked down at her engagement ring and smiled selfishly knowing her sister was right about her.

 



© 2013 Erin Elizabeth


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is really good! The dialogue flows wonderfully. I saw your comment about your writing style and I actually prefer a story be written like this. Sometimes descriptions can be so long and drawn out. I just wanna know what's happening and let my imagination fill in the rest.


Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love this! It's so hard to find a good story nowadays. Are you continuing this?

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Erin Elizabeth

11 Years Ago

Thank you ! Yes, I have 20 parts now lol. Just have yet to post them. I am going to post another fiv.. read more
Anna

11 Years Ago

Can't wait to read them!
This is really good! The dialogue flows wonderfully. I saw your comment about your writing style and I actually prefer a story be written like this. Sometimes descriptions can be so long and drawn out. I just wanna know what's happening and let my imagination fill in the rest.


Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
2 Reviews
Added on April 6, 2013
Last Updated on May 10, 2013


Author

Erin Elizabeth
Erin Elizabeth

McLean, VA



Writing
1. 1.

A Chapter by Erin Elizabeth


2. 2.

A Chapter by Erin Elizabeth


3. 3.

A Chapter by Erin Elizabeth