7.

7.

A Chapter by Erin Elizabeth

7.

 

After arriving at Ruby’s apartment, Parrish sat at the table in Ruby’s kitchen with swollen, tear filled eyes. Ruby pulled a clear shot glass from one of her cabinets and filled it with honey whiskey. She set the bottle of liquor on the table in front of Parrish and handed her the shot glass. Parrish put the glass to her lips and let the sweet, warm liquor slide down her throat.

“Do you wanna talk about it?” Ruby asked, sitting down across from Parrish. “’Cause we don’t have to. We can just sit, drink. Sit some more…”

Parrish laughed a little. “You don’t even drink. And you shouldn’t be drinking.”

The fact that Ruby kept a bottle of liquor at her house just because she knew her best friend would need it didn’t concern her. Instead, it reminded her how much she knew Parrish and how little everyone else did.

“Actually, I can drink a little red wine sporadically. So, I think now’s a good time.” She said, getting up from the table.

“No, it’s okay. I don’t want you to feel like you have to have a drink with me.”

“I don’t feel that way.” Ruby stated, looking at her friend. She poured herself half a glass of wine and grabbed a box of cigarettes and a lighter out of a drawer. She put her hand out, waiting for Parrish to take them; two other things she kept at her house for her.

Parrish smiled a little behind her tears and took a cigarette from the box. Ruby lit it for her and then, Parrish inhaled, long and hard.

“If I keep being friends with you, I’m probably gonna get like five different kinds of cancer.” Parrish said, trying to make herself laugh unsuccessfully. She began to cry again, blowing the cigarette out with her sobs.

Ruby put her hand inside of Parrish’s and held tight. “Well, if you do get… five different kinds of cancer,” she began. “I will always be there holding your hand.”

Still sobbing, Parrish let out a little laugh.

“And I’ll still bring the shot glass. We’ll just fill it with… liquid cesium chloride and instead of cigarettes, we’ll smoke medical marijuana.”

Parrish and Ruby both were laughing now with tears in their eyes. And through the laughter and sadness, they held their hands tighter together, never letting go. 



© 2013 Erin Elizabeth


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
Added on May 10, 2013
Last Updated on May 10, 2013


Author

Erin Elizabeth
Erin Elizabeth

McLean, VA



Writing
1. 1.

A Chapter by Erin Elizabeth


2. 2.

A Chapter by Erin Elizabeth


3. 3.

A Chapter by Erin Elizabeth