16.

16.

A Chapter by Erin Elizabeth

16.

 

  “I have a proposition for you.” Ruby told Parrish while sitting on her bed. She handed her a screwdriver.

     “Do tell.” Parrish answered, assembling a white crib in Ruby’s bedroom.

     “Well, you know that soon, I’ll have to quit my job. You know, with the baby coming and all.”

     “Mhmmm.” Parrish hummed, still assembling.

     “I told my boss that I have a good replacement for him… and I sort of… gave him your resume.”

     Parrish put down the screwdriver and turned to look at Ruby. “Whaaa?” she asked. “Why?!”

     “Because I knew you wouldn’t do something like this for yourself. You need someone to push you.”

     “Ruby… I don’t know how to do that… stuff.”

     “It’s a simple receptionist job. You answer phones, you schedule appointments, you answer visitor’s questions… you type up emails. It’s easy and it’s twelve bucks an hour. Come on!”

     “…You really think I could be good at something like that? Parrish asked, hesitantly.

     “If I didn’t, I wouldn’t have told Mr. Connolly about you… and stolen your resume from your laptop.” Ruby laughed. “He said to come in for an interview on Monday at noon.”

     Parrish threw her arms around Ruby and said in a goofy voice, “Aw! You’re such a good friend!” She kissed Ruby on the cheek and said, “Thank you.”

     “Well… now that I’ve done you a favor, do me a favor get and back to work!” Ruby joked, pointing to the half-assembled baby crib, laughing.

     “You don’t even have to ask. I’m happy to do it.”

     “Thanks, Pear.” Ruby said, rubbing her pregnant belly. “Pearl says thank you, too.”

     Parrish smiled. “You finally decided on a name. When?” she scooted back over to the bed on her knees and put her hands on Ruby’s stomach.

     “Last night.” Ruby answered, beaming. “I thought of a bunch of different names, but I guess I wanted to name her something that kinda reminded me of myself.”

     “Oh! I love it!” Parrish told her, kissing Ruby’s stomach. “I can’t wait ‘till you get here, little one.” In that moment, for the first time in a while, she felt true happiness. 



© 2013 Erin Elizabeth


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
Added on August 12, 2013
Last Updated on August 12, 2013


Author

Erin Elizabeth
Erin Elizabeth

McLean, VA



Writing
1. 1.

A Chapter by Erin Elizabeth


2. 2.

A Chapter by Erin Elizabeth


3. 3.

A Chapter by Erin Elizabeth