20.

20.

A Chapter by Erin Elizabeth

20.

 

  “Gimme that, would ya?” Ruby asked Parrish, holding a few things of hers from her apartment. They were unloading a moving truck filled with Ruby’s possessions.

     Three days after her argument with Levi, Parrish hadn’t heard from her. Although she was surprised, she was also grateful. She missed her a little, of course, but for the first time, she understood maybe that was the best thing. Maybe she had to miss her in order to get over their abusive relationship. If that’s what it took to move forward, Parrish was finally prepared.

     “You really shouldn’t be helping us do this, Ruby. Get inside!” Parrish told her, picking up a few things from inside the moving truck. “Where’s my sister?”

     “She’s with Pearl upstairs.” Ruby answered.

     “Mom, I’ll be right back.” Parrish told Tandy, heading for the house to retrieve her sister.

     Parrish climbed the stairs to find Justice in her old room standing over Pearl’s crib, watching her sleep.

     “You alright?” Parrish asked her. “I thought you were gonna help us get Ruby’s stuff in here.”

     “I’ll be right down.” She answered, quietly.

     “Still haven’t heard from him, huh?”

     Justice shook her head, still looking at Pearl.

     “Babies are so peaceful, aren’t they, Pear? Not a worry in the world; nothing to be afraid of. No mistakes to be made.”

     Parrish sighed and walked closer to her sister. She put her hands on Pearl’s eggshell-white crib, leaning on her sister’s shoulder. “Yeah, they are.” She answered. “Why don’t you stay in here with Pearl? Mom and I can get everything inside.”

     Justice remained quiet, still standing by the crib.

     Parrish couldn’t remember the last time she’d seen her sister so upset. She knew it was better that she give her time to think. She also knew that because it was peace Justice needed, Pearl was the best medicine for the job.

     “Where’s Justice?” Tandy asked Parrish when she came back outside.

     “Just… let her have some time to herself. She’s with the baby.”

     Tandy nodded. “Ruby!” she yelled. “Put that down! It’s too heavy! No!”

     Parrish laughed a little, watching Tandy run over to assist Ruby. She looked over at her mother and her best friend, smiling. Although she knew things were not perfect in her life, in that very moment, they almost were.



© 2013 Erin Elizabeth


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on August 12, 2013
Last Updated on August 12, 2013


Author

Erin Elizabeth
Erin Elizabeth

McLean, VA



Writing
1. 1.

A Chapter by Erin Elizabeth


2. 2.

A Chapter by Erin Elizabeth


3. 3.

A Chapter by Erin Elizabeth