Lucas

Lucas

A Chapter by Caradactyl

I was sitting in class that morning, trying desperately not to fall asleep. Last night around 2:15 in the morning, the only lunar eclipse that would ever happen for the next 84 years came around, and I was bound and determined to see it. My eyes kept trying to close as the teacher droned on and on about mathematics I would never need. My goal in life at the moment was to go wherever money was. I had no goals and dream jobs right then, and that was fine with me. Math wasn’t one of my strong points, anyway. Putting my head on the desk, I finally let my eyes slip shut, and as I was getting comfortable, one of my best friends, May, turns around and shakes me.

“Dawn. Dawn! Wake up.”
I sit up and scowl at her. “Turn around. You’re bothering me.”
 She laughs and shakes me some more just for the fun of it and just as I reached up to shove her, the teacher happens to turns around. “Miss Miyazaki. Please keep your hands to yourself.” “Yes sir.”

 May laughed under her breath and turned around, leaving me to sulk. I ended up spending the rest of math period doodling Godzilla stereotypically attacking Tokyo. When I was finished I labeled the stick figure monster- Mathzilla, and named the destroyed rubble- My life. Deciding to use it as revenge, I left it on my desk as the lunch bell rang and everyone filed out. Lunch at the girls’ school was nice. We got a whole hour off to do whatever we wanted. Usually for lunch, I would walk home and eat with my grandfather and my sister, but today May and I were eating together with a boy from the boys’ boarding school in Tokyo. His name was Lucas, and he was an exchange student from England. I had never met him before, and I was curious to see what he looked like.
The first thing we did was grab our lunch bags and walk to my grandfather’s garden. Once we got into the vast garden, we walked over to the nearest bench and sat down.

“You’re sure he’s coming, right?” I asked, unsure. “For the last time. YES.” May sighed.
Finally, as I was about to question her again, a very pale boy came around the corner. He looked so completely different than the rest of us, he stuck out terribly, but for some reason, I was intrigued by it. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t attracted to him, I was just…curious. He dressed just fine, pair of dark jeans, shirt and a jacket. Maybe it was the stupid paperboy's cap he was wearing. Lucas grinned at us so brightly when he walked up, I almost had to shield my eyes.

“Hi May. What’s up?” “Nothing much, Lucas. You?”
 Lucas’ bright grin never left as he sat down with us. “Who's your friend?” May seemed to finally remember I was there. “Oh, Lucas, this is Dawn. Dawn, this is Lucas.” I nodded and put on a smile for him. “Hi.” He kind of just stared at me, but in a friendly way. “Hello Dawn.”

We sat and ate our lunch, May and Lucas talking on and on and I sat there and listened. Finally, lunch was almost over and we all got up and said our goodbyes. As May went over to throw her trash away, Lucas turned to me and said, “Are you and May best friends?” I nodded and said, “Yes, of course. Why?” Lucas started shuffling a little and said, “Well, I wanted to ask her out.” I wasn’t surprised. Everyone wanted to date May. “Okay, so go ask her.”

Lucas shook his head. “I can’t.” “Why not? You like her, right?” He looked at the ground and said, “Yes, I do. But we don’t even know each other very well. This is only the third time we’ve met.” I shrugged my shoulders. “Well, okay. Do whatever then.” As I was about to turn and walk to May, Lucas caught my arm. “Wait! Do you think you could help me?” I thought about it for a second, helping some English boy I’ve never met before get with my best friend. The thought of it made me feel like a really shabby friend, but it seemed like he was desperate.

“Okay, fine. I’ll tell you a little bit about her. But not now, we have to go back to class.” Lucas nodded. “Okay, meet me back here after your classes are done.” Hearing that made me feel a little better. We would be in my grandfather’s garden, a place I knew.
“Alright.”



© 2010 Caradactyl


Author's Note

Caradactyl
Rated Teen because life isn't always G-rated!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

you've ended with a cliffhanger :/ lol i see many, many possibilities with this plot and youve made me extremely curious :)

its a solid start! once again, i was sucked into the story by your wonderful flowing writing. i did notice a couple spots that could be improved --mostly when there was a whole bunch of dialogue together. i was super confused at first. here are two examples:
"“Hi May. What’s up?” “Nothing much, Lucas. You?”" and this "“I can’t.” “Why not? You like her, right?”"

I feel like if you added a few words here or put some space in between the dialogue your writing would flow better in these spots. overall, i liked your exposition!! keep me updated!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

i really, really like it! :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


you've ended with a cliffhanger :/ lol i see many, many possibilities with this plot and youve made me extremely curious :)

its a solid start! once again, i was sucked into the story by your wonderful flowing writing. i did notice a couple spots that could be improved --mostly when there was a whole bunch of dialogue together. i was super confused at first. here are two examples:
"“Hi May. What’s up?” “Nothing much, Lucas. You?”" and this "“I can’t.” “Why not? You like her, right?”"

I feel like if you added a few words here or put some space in between the dialogue your writing would flow better in these spots. overall, i liked your exposition!! keep me updated!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

299 Views
2 Reviews
Added on December 22, 2010
Last Updated on December 22, 2010


Author

Caradactyl
Caradactyl

Wichita, KS



About
Hey! I'm an average 17 year old and I am one of the many who love to write. Being a typical teenager, I listen to music, I hate doing homework and avoid it when I can, I Facebook, I work at a pizza pl.. more..

Writing
Meeting Him Meeting Him

A Chapter by Caradactyl