Shot

Shot

A Chapter by Caradactyl

 Lucas was the first one to react. He got up and grabbed the driver, trying to force him out of his seat. The driver then suddenly hit the brake, and we all went crashing forward into the front. I regained my balance and tried to help Lucas grab the driver and pull him away. The driver, however, had other plans, and pulled a gun out of his jacket, and aimed it at Lucas. Lucas saw the gun and immediately looked at me. I was too busy staring at the barrel of the handgun to say anything. Time seemed to stand still for a while and no one said anything.

The driver then ordered me, “Sit down.” I immediately obliged, and sat in one of the seats, and then he motioned Lucas to sit down, too. He turned around keeping the gun in one hand as he continued to drive. We drove further and further away from Tokyo, and further into Japan, to places I had never been. Soon, we came to a station on the side of the road many miles out of Tokyo, and the driver turned to look at us. I swallowed the lump in my throat and asked him quietly, “Why are you doing this? What do you want?” The driver then pulled his hat off and his face rose out of his jacket collar. He didn’t look any older than Lucas or me, almost 19 years old. He had shaggy, chocolate brown hair that fell down to his neck, and his bangs were parted in the middle. His face was extremely dirty, and I got a glimpse of his clothes to see that they were dirty, too. I looked back up into his emerald green eyes and waited for an answer.

He sighed and looked from me, to Lucas, and then back. “My name is Foster. I kidnapped you because I know you’re one of Zangan Miyazaki’s granddaughters. Unfortunately for your friend, he was just with you at the time.” Zangan is my grandfather’s first name, although my sister and I never speak it, it is disrespectful to him. I scowled at Foster for a moment, almost sure that it wasn’t his real name. “Okay, Foster. Why did you kidnap me?” He looked down at the gun he was holding, almost as if a part of him didn’t want to do what he was doing. “Because I am under orders. I am supposed to bring you back with me to our leaders, and we are going to use you for ransom.” I was stunned. My sister’s words echoed through my brain. “How do you keep getting into things like this?”

I didn’t say anything as Foster looked away from us, and looked out into the parking lot. Lucas then leaned into me and whispered, “We have to get out of here.” I nodded, and whispered back, “I have an idea.” I told Lucas my master plan, and he went with it. Slowly, I slid down to the dirty floor beneath the seats, and crawled towards the back of the bus. Lucas then did his part, getting up and distracting Foster. I kept crawling, even when I heard Foster grunt and say, “Boy, what are you doing? Sit down.” I kept crawling, even when I heard Foster click the hammer back on the gun. I couldn’t see what Lucas was doing, but it had to be working, because Foster hadn’t noticed me yet.

I got to the back of the bus, and slowly got onto my knees and reached up for the emergency handle on the window. I heard Lucas talking to Foster, and all Foster could say was “I told you to sit down.” Something told me Foster was faking it, because if he were going to actually shoot Lucas, he would have done it by now. So, I quickly grabbed the handle and pulled on it, releasing the window. I shot to my feet and cried out, “Lucas!!” Foster looked back at me, surprised, and Lucas caught him off guard, grabbing the pistol from his hand and quickly bashing him in the head with the handle, knocking him to the ground.

I turned away from the boys and tried to climb out the window. I almost made it, when the leg of my pants caught on the window seal and I tumbled forward, strung up by my leg. I felt like a hooked fish, and I called for Lucas again. He came up to the open window and said, “Brace yourself!” I flinched as he freed me from the window and I fell face first into the ground. Lucas jumped out of the window after me, and we both got up. I noticed Lucas limped as he got to his feet, and I briefly wondered if he had hurt his ankle.

We both ran down the highway, as fast as we could away from the station, we could both clearly hear Foster shouting from behind us. He didn’t seem to want to chase us, and I looked over at Lucas, who looked back at me, and we both smiled and started to laugh. Our victory was cut short from the sound of gunfire behind us. I looked back to see Foster had gotten out of the bus and was aiming his gun at our running figures. More shots were fired, and my mind became a blur. The only thing I could think about was to keep running.

Then it happened. One last shot was fired, and I felt a sudden burst of white-hot fire in my left calf, and my entire leg became paralyzed. I grunted, and fell forward, hitting the dirt hard. I could feel my body scrape against the ground before coming to a stop in the ditch beside the highway. The next thing I know, Lucas is crouching beside me, and rolling me over onto my back. I must have looked terrible, because Lucas’ eyes widened when he looked at me, and he whispered, “Dawn…Oh my god.” I grimaced from the pain and said, “Lucas, go. They won’t chase you, it’s me they want.” He shook his head and slid his arms beneath my shoulders and knees and said, “No. You are my friend, and I will stick with you.”

Normally, under different circumstances, I would have been touched, but right now I was angered by his decision, probably because I was in so much pain. He hoisted me up bridal style, and turned to run away, when he was cut off. Foster had come after us, and now stood there, gun aimed at Lucas’ head. He glared at us and said, “Don’t. Move.” Lucas made an angry grunt and said, “Just leave her alone!” Foster shook his head and replied, “Forget it. It’s out of my hands now.” Just then, a black car pulled up to us, and another guy got out. This guy looked older, he dressed in a dark blue suit, and wore black sunglasses, and I noted his bald, shiny head, too. He then pulled out a gun of his own and looked at Foster, motioning to him.
 
Foster looked at us, with an almost apologetic look on his face, before he came over and took me out of Lucas’ hands. I remember being put in the car, and I started to realize I was passing out. Everything started going fuzzy, and I tried to reach out towards the open door. I remember saying Lucas’ name, and then all went black.



© 2011 Caradactyl


Author's Note

Caradactyl
This is where we need to have it rated T. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

No no no no nooooo!

Posted 13 Years Ago


OMG!!!!!!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

253 Views
2 Reviews
Added on January 6, 2011
Last Updated on January 6, 2011


Author

Caradactyl
Caradactyl

Wichita, KS



About
Hey! I'm an average 17 year old and I am one of the many who love to write. Being a typical teenager, I listen to music, I hate doing homework and avoid it when I can, I Facebook, I work at a pizza pl.. more..

Writing
Lucas Lucas

A Chapter by Caradactyl