Five

Five

A Chapter by Isemay

Grace’s phone rang and she grabbed for it frantically, “Hello?”


“Hey, Grace. It’s me, Jacob, I was just-”


“Oh thank god. Do you know anything about dogs?” Some help was exactly what she needed.


“A little, why?”


“I had a dog for not even twelve hours, I let him out to do his business and he bolted. I can’t find him anywhere.”


“Why didn’t you have him on a leash?” There was the sound of rustling and jangling in the background. “Give me your address, I'm on my way. And text me a picture I’ll look for it as I drive.”


She texted her address immediately and then the one picture she’d taken of the enormous dog looking adorable curled up on her bed. He looked almost wolfish, silvery and white without a single dark speck on him.


The texted reply came a second later, Holy S**t, Grace… You let that out without a leash? 


It took a lot not to text back asking what she was supposed to do. She didn’t even own a dog dish! With an exasperated huff she went out to walk along the road in the opposite direction she’d already been. Someone might have seen him and she could ask people. The thought of maybe finding him hit by a car or chained up in someone's yard brought tears to her eyes and no matter how hard she tried they kept coming back.


Jacob pulled up in front of her as she was rubbing her eyes, a good distance from her apartment.


“I didn’t see him coming from that way, and I think I would have noticed a dog that big. Where did you get him?” He asked as he helped her into the truck.


“He just showed up last night. He is such a sweet dog, I can’t believe he just bolted.” 


“Did he have a collar, or…” 


“No! And there was no one around that he belonged to. Now I know why I guess.” She leaned against the door covering her face. “I never wanted a pet but I fell in love with that dog.”


“Did you name him?” Jacob glanced at her as she blushed and smiled.


“You’ll think I’m ridiculous.”


“Tell me you didn’t name him Tiny.”


“Worse. Snuggle Puppy.” Grace felt a little embarrassed. When she named him she hadn’t really thought about telling people his name.


He looked like he was trying not to laugh. 


“Say it.” She sighed and gave him a dirty look.


“If you named me that I’d have run away, too.”


“You’re an a*s.” 


Jacob started to laugh and after a few seconds Grace joined in. 


“So where do you want to look for Snuggle Puppy?”


“I’ve been walking all over looking for him since almost eight. I don’t know what else to do.” 


“Well, we’ll go back to your place and I can help draw up some flyers and call the local animal control. He might even come back on his own.”


“Ok. I, um, have a pot roast in the crock pot. I can make lunch. If you wanted to stay for awhile.” She offered the invitation as she was staring out the window looking for her dog.


“That sounds good.”


They pulled up to the apartments and she showed him where to put his truck. They were intercepted as they headed up the stairs.


“Grace? Are those your clothes just sitting in the dryer?” The older woman was glaring at her.


“Oh god, yeah, I’m sorry. I’ve had a rough morning. I’ll get them.” Forgetting the laundry was almost a sin if you asked some of the older residents.


“You should know better than to leave your things unattended. I should call management and file a complaint-”


“Have you seen a big grey dog around by any chance?” Jacob interjected. “She was watching my dog overnight and it got out. I think she can be forgiven for leaving her clothes for a few hours.” He glared at the woman and she backed down. 


“She’s really not supposed to be doing that either, but I’ll let it go this time…” The woman hurried away and Grace looked at him with relief.


“Your dog?”


“I didn’t think it would be good to call it your dog, you might get fined for having a pet or something.”


“Yeah, I would have.” She took a breath. “Let me get my basket and my clothes.” 


“I’ll help.” Jacob gave her a smile as they went down to the basement and carried the basket up for her.


Inside the apartment smelled of food, and a little bit like dog. He gave over the basket and she took it to her room telling him to make himself at home. These would get folded later. Jacob was peeking into the crock pot when she came back. The heavenly smell of the roast and the peppers in with it wafted out.


“Mississippi pot roast. I was going to make real mashed potatoes and cheddar bread but…” 


“But? I mean that sounds like something I’d stay for. I’d even fold your laundry.” He grinned at her.


“If I’m having company…” She shook her head. “Out of my kitchen!” Grace laughed at his look of mock offense.


“At least let me wash and peel the potatoes!”


“You need to make flyers and call animal control!” She put her laptop on the coffee table and shooed him out.


Chatting about pets and movies between calls, she put the bread in and got everything ready to make the potatoes, leaving the roast on warm. Using her printer and the picture from her phone, he printed up about thirty flyers. 


They were finally sitting down to eat when there was a knock on the door. She felt a twinge of disappointment that it was Mr. Redner and a bouquet of colorful flowers.


“I managed to get out of my lunch plans… and you made new ones.” The bigger man looked at her guest unhappily.


“Jacob was actually over helping me look for my dog, and the least I could do was feed him.” Grace took the flowers he brought and headed to the kitchen, before looking up confused, “How did you get my address?”


“I got it from the invoice. I bought your work.” He glanced around the apartment. “I don't see much here for a dog.”


“He showed up last night, and I didn’t even have him for a whole twelve hours before he ran away.” She dug out a vase from under the sink and put the flowers in water. “Jacob helped me make flyers and call animal control. I was out looking for him for hours this morning.”


Dutifully, Jacob fetched a flyer, handing it to him to look at. The bemused look on Mr. Redner’s face made him look younger.


“Snuggle Puppy?”


“It’s my dog, you can name your own.” The way she huffed made the bigger man laugh.


Jacob piped up with a grin, getting a plate for him, “I told her if she’d named me that I’d have run away too.”


“Both of you are going to leave hungry if you don’t stop making fun of me.” Grace got the utensils and pulled the extra chair away from the wall.


The three settled at the table to eat in silence for a few moments.


“This is really good, Grace.” Jacob offered, taking a sip of the red wine she’d poured with it.


“Thanks, it’s, um, actually the one meal I can make really well.” She glanced at Mr. Redner with a little chagrin.


“It’s good. The roast is melting in my mouth.” Mr. Redner gave her a warm smile. “And the wine is perfect with it.”


“It’s a pretty cheap Beaujolais, but with food with a little bit of spiciness it’s the best one to have.”


“I’m not a fan of wine, but I like this one.” Jacob nodded, taking another bite. “The cheddar bread has to be the best part of this though.”


“I love cheddar bread, I have to send it home with other people or I’ll eat the whole loaf in a day.” Grace took a large bite of her piece.


“I volunteer!” Jacob raised his hand cheerfully.


“Arm wrestle you for it.” Mr. Redner gave him a half smile.


“That’s a mug’s game, I’ll thumb wrestle you for it.” Jacob gave him a wide smile and got one in return.


“You’re on.”


“I’m assuming you know the rules, Mr. Redner?” 


“Eli, and you can refresh my memory.”


“Alright, Eli, elbows on the table at all times, and only a pin that lasts through the chant counts.” Jacob held out his hand and they curled their fingers together with the thumbs held up. “One, two, three, four, let’s have a thumb war.”


She watched and tried not to laugh, they looked like overgrown kids, so intent. Jacob pinned Eli’s thumb.


“One, two, three-” He stopped counting as the bigger man got his thumb back up.


“You count too slow!” Grace was laughing, leaning on the table.


“No, no! You have to keep the count steady so it’s an indisputable win.” 


Eli almost got him while he was talking. Jacob pinned him a second time and managed to keep him down for the whole count, “One, two, three, four, I just won a thumb war!” 


“Best two out of three.” Eli wiggled his thumb after Jacob released him.


“No way! That’s my cheddar bread!” He grinned at Grace, “People with big hands always think they have the advantage, but it’s the double jointed folks that can dominate in thumb wrestling.” He sat back in his chair proudly as she gave him an appreciative nod.


“You know, we’re thinking of inviting a few of the students to come out and have a look at our shop. We’d like to start an in house stained glass department.” Eli was giving him a speculative look. “I like you, I was planning on inviting Grace and a few of the others, I’d like to invite you too. I think you’d get along with our group of guys really well.”


“You’re offering me a job? Before I’ve even finished the course?” Jacob looked at him in surprise.


“You’d have to visit first, and make sure you’re a good fit. And you’ve got what, one more year before you finish?”


“Well, yeah.” Jacob ran a hand through his hair. “When do you want us to visit? We have exams next week…” He glanced at Grace.


It felt like she’d been invited to Disney World.


“When’s your last exam?” Eli looked back and forth between the two of them. 


“Next Thursday at three.” Grace answered, clasping her hands over her plate.


“Same.”


“Would next Friday be good? I can bring the plane back out.”


“Hell yeah, I can clear my schedule.” He looked at the stunned seeming Grace and mouthed, Flying us out there!


“I, um, yeah. That’s great. Yeah!”



© 2021 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

25 Views
Added on January 11, 2021
Last Updated on January 11, 2021
Tags: witches, werewolves, drama, romance, supernatural


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay