Twelve

Twelve

A Chapter by Isemay

Mrs. Germain was taking them on the fastest route back to the den. Eli wanted his mate to come home under better circumstances, but it would be better to have her safe with him first and then to explain everything. They were only a few miles from the den, approaching the lesser used side entrance when Remi noticed Bas grabbing at Madam Cate’s purse frantically. 


It looked like something inside it exploded making her lose control of the vehicle, and at the same time they were struck by something from the side. The SUV rolled and he and Remi came out already changing. The strangled squeak from his mate and the sight of the Alpha’s car hitting the tree had the fur on his hackles raising as it came in.


The stone creatures from Mesny’s. Remi sent the thought to him and to the Alpha letting him know what was happening. Two of them were circling the Mercedes as if they wanted to get to something inside of it but were prevented. They’re here for the Sibyl.


Or to kill Bas, the Alpha sent back, keep them safe!


The stone creatures would run away when the wolves approached but didn’t go far, one went back to the other SUV as if he would go after Grace and Eli charged him snarling. They needed to run them off. The things didn’t want to go, they finally drove them a short distance into the woods, the pack was coming… Grace started to scream. Eli turned and bolted back with Remi, terrified as the screaming stopped abruptly. Breaking from the trees as two more of the stone creatures took flight with Grace and Justice limp in their grips, the wolves tried to lunge after them but they were just out of reach.


Alpha Germain arrived not a full minute later with a dozen of the other Betas. Track them, follow them by sight and scent! Remi go with them, Eli, you stay with me.


The Alpha checked the car, pulling out his mate and checking her over carefully. Eli did the same for Bas. “It looked like something in her purse exploded. Bas felt it, and tried to get to it before it did.” 


“Why did you leave them?” The Alpha growled menacingly. “You were told to keep them safe.”


“The stone creatures were going back and forth from the car to the SUV like they were going to take Grace too. We thought we could run them off.” His mate had been stolen because he left her. He was shaking as he tried to carefully pull out slivers of glass from Bas’ face and arm. “They acted like they couldn’t get into the car… Whatever Bas did-”


“If Grace hadn’t opened the door to make sure they were all still alive they would have been safe. Heal his wounds as best you can. We’re taking them both home to safety and then we’ll join the hunt.” The Alpha was already looking out into the trees. “The Sibyl of Germain is going to come home and so will your mate.”


By the time the SUVs pulled up, both Bas and Madam Cate were free from visible injuries, but neither one had woken. They were loaded into the vehicles and went home to the infirmary. It had been renovated and had Bas’ spells and the Sibyl’s crystals protecting the doors. Inside it was bright and cheerful, and nearly as safe as the witches’ house. 


They were checked by the healer, but before he could rejoin the hunt, the group that had intended to go to Unwind returned ready to help as well. Maria almost bolted down to her mate. Jacob looked shocked at the wolves in a flurry of activity around him. 


“Why did you bring him?” Eli snapped at Ruby as she spoke quietly to Jacob.


“Jacob is mine, I couldn’t leave my mate to fend for himself after…”


“After what? What happened?” Jacob looked nervous and confused. “And why are you talking about mates? Why’s everyone naked...”


“You’re the reason she made sure I brought him.” Eli rubbed his face. “She said it would hurt his mate if I didn’t bring him. I was going to leave him to make sure he stayed far away from Grace.”


“I don’t think I want to know what would have happened if you hadn’t. I’ll take him in and get him settled.” Ruby paused and took a breath, “Bring them back, Eli.”


“We will.” He moved toward where the Alpha was speaking with a handful of other wolves.


“They’ve doubled back, I think they’re trying to run my trackers to exhaustion. If they were on the ground I’d let them gain some ground and hunt them down when they’ve relaxed. In the air they can go too far and without leaving a trail.” Groups of wolves moved purposefully in different directions. “We’re going to keep track of them. Anyone who sees them or catches the scent of either of the ones they’ve abducted will call out and let us know when they cross into a different section.”


Reports of Genevieve and Grace’s clothes scattered in different ends of the forest began to come back. The stone creatures seemed to have a grasp on their strategy. By dawn the wolves came back to the den without their quarry. Alpha Germain ordered him and Remi to go in with everyone else for breakfast. Hot drinks, hot food. 


Madam Cate greeted them inside as they returned, with the news that Bas was still unconscious, the sight of her and the Alpha holding tightly to each other made his heart ache for his mate. It seemed to do the same to Remi.


“My Alpha, I need to go back out. Justice-”


“You know she asked to keep that name protected,” the female Alpha chided him. “We’re going to find her, I think we need Bas to do it.”


“And Grace?” Eli stepped forward bowing submissively. “My mate-”


“They’ll be found together, that was what she said wasn’t it?” Madam Cate was looking at her mate with a pained look.


“Say it, Cate.” Alpha Germain held her tightly and she pressed her face to his shoulder for a moment.


“Bas was telling me, the way it was relayed to him his first thought was corpses. He was trying to understand why the presence felt curious and not malicious, but the message relayed to him by Remi and Eli was so… terrifying.”


“I need to hear it.” The Alpha looked at them both. “Eli what did she say?”


“She told me I needed to help Bas. I have no concept of what it means to-to,” he rubbed his face, “something about the burdens of her needs. She was very clear that I have to help Bas. The rest she said to Remi.”


“I want to hear it.”


Remi spoke up carefully reciting, “He will help my brother. Bastion will require it. The dream is important. The walls are thin, but if the heart does not soften, if it turns as hard as stone, there will be no breaking them. He will not find what he seeks.” He sank to his knees and looked pleadingly up at the Alphas, “Then she started to hold her hands out like she was begging or trying to pacify,” he imitated her, “Mercy. They mean no harm. There is no trust. Grace and Justice are found together. Mercy, I plead for mercy.”


The Alpha’s face was grim, “Eli, after you eat, I want you to go down and sit with Bas and Maria. Make sure she’s eaten something. You’re going to take care of them both for now.”


“Yes, my Alpha.” Not being given permission to search for his mate was like a knife to his heart.


“Remi, I want you to rest and then go back out. When Bas is on his feet I’ll put him to work.” The Alpha’s eyes were glowing gold as he continued, “We’ll find them, and we’ll find them alive.”


“After breakfast I’ll send Aurel and Rob to look in Mesny’s books. He might have known something about these creatures, especially if they helped you rescue Vivi.” Madam Cate held onto her mate for a moment before loosening her grip and letting him lead her to breakfast.



© 2021 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
Added on January 11, 2021
Last Updated on January 11, 2021
Tags: witches, werewolves, drama, romance, supernatural


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay