Terminal

Terminal

A Chapter by Jay_Bluefire
"

This is a POV of Kyndra, mostly written by Crazy Dragon Lady. There are some words in *'s, those are swear words.

"

“I’m so sorry.”

Those words boom through my head, echoing and gradually getting louder and louder. I feel as if I’m falling apart, my pieces tumbling into the abyss, never to be gotten back. I feel as if darkness is consuming me, swirling around me like a liquid, engulfing me and all that I am. I tilt my head back, to look up at the light at the top of the pit I’ve just fallen into. Will I ever escape?

“Kyndra.”My mom’s voice startles me out of my thoughts. She turn my head to look at her, with her long brown hair, gentle but firm face, kind but resolute eyes. How much longer will I get to see her, before I no longer see anymore? The thought is almost unbearable. Scratch that. The thought is unbearable.

“Come on, we’re going home,” her voice is like a steel rope hanging off of the wall of my chasm of liquid darkness. I grab on, getting up and following her, robot-like out of the hospital. The ride home, and next few days during which I do nothing but lay in bed, pass in a blur. I wake up, lay in bed until my food and medicine is brought to me, pick at that, lay in bed, napping until the next meal, basically on repeat until someone stops by.

I hear the knocking on the door, followed by quiet voices and my parents letting someone in. We don’t normally have visitors, so my interest is naturally peaked. Barely. I haven’t been able to be interested in anything since my diagnosis. My door flies open, Jay and Mandy barreling into my room. I scowl at them.

“Shh. I’m trying to sleep.”

“Where’ve you been? You haven’t been at school are anywhere else!” Mandy complains.

“And I have something to tell you,” Jay adds secretively.

“What’s the point of going anywhere?” I ask Mandy. I remember that I haven’t told them anything about my diagnosis, and have no idea what is going on, but I’m too irritable to care at this point.

“What’s wrong with you?” Mandy asks abruptly. I reach over to my bedside table, picking up a very official-looking paper and reading off of it.

“ ‘We are sorry to inform you that Kyndra Ayana Melfin has been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. We predict that she has less than six months to live. Treatment options are always available, though.’ Then it goes on to list treatments that could buy me a few more weeks, the least of which is more than the worth of our house.” I toss the paper aside. “Doctor gave that to my parents, I stole it from them. When they found out, they let me keep. Thought that it would be better if I didn’t know that my life had a definitive end to it.”

Jay stares at the paper like it's a venomous snake about to bite me. "Terminal brain cancer? Don't they have technology that can counter it?" But I can tell that she knows my parents wouldn't be able to afford it. "Okay. Okay. We can think of something... come on, Jay, think..."

“Don’t bother. There’s nothing anyone can do. Don’t waste your time, go enjoy your lives- at least you actually have them.”

“I... kind of... already did...” Jay takes a deep breath. “I joined S.O.S.”

“Don’t they only accept super-powered recruits?” I ask.

“Yeah... That’s the other things I wanted to tell you,” Jay extends her hand, palm up. For a second, nothing happens. Then, frost starts spreading out from the center of her palm, until it covers her hand. She smashes it down on my desk, sending shattered ice pieces around my room.

“Why didn’t you join S.W.O.R.D?” S.W.O.R.D is the most well-known hero organization. I’ve always thought of her as definitely more of the hero type.

Jay pauses. “Well, when my powers manifested, I accidentally killed a bunch of people, and I didn’t think that’d look very good on my S.W.O.R.D application form. Also, the leader of S.O.S, Darkling, came to me to recruit me.” Darkling is the little brother of the world’s most dangerous villain- and their most wanted. Somehow, him and his organization- the I.I.E.M- have managed to elude them so far, and most have given up.

“Nice. When do I get to meet your boyfriend?”

“He’s not my boyfriend! Although, I did first meet him when he woke me up, in my bedroom,” Jay answers. A pause, then she facepalms. “Because that doesn’t sound wrong at all,” she says, turning bright red.

I bark out a rough laugh. “That’s one way to meet your new villain boss.” Jay doesn't seem to know what to say in response, and fidgets with the hem of her shirt as she stares at the ground. I turn to Mandy. “What about you? Any new abilities? A secret villain father that abandoned you as a baby?” I ask sarcastically.

Jay cuts in. "With all this craziness I wouldn't be surprised."

Mandy looks at me, hurt, but I’m beyond caring.“Well, glad that your lives are all great and dandy, thanks for making me feel worse about myself. Good bye.” I roll over in bed, ending the conversation.

I hear a slam, like someone stomping their foot. "You are being such a... a..." Jay struggles for a word, then gives up. "Que demonios, Kyndra! Just because you have problems doesn't mean you're the only one!" She pauses. "Did I just say 'what the hell' in Spanish?"

“Oh, great. Now you’re polypathic. How about you go run to your villain boss and tell him that?” My voice is harsh and taunting. “And I don’t see any of you guys with problems as bad as mine, so you can stop being saints and **** off.”

"I don't have to tell him everything," she huffed. "Kato, I froze an entire building. And I have to live with it! And people die every day in third world countries from stuff like hunger and thirst. A ton of people probably have incurable diseases or cancer or what the heck ever! So don't think you're the only one whose problems matter." With that, she turned and left.

“She doesn’t even understand. We’ve known each other for seven years, and she still doesn’t understand me. You probably don’t either, so goodbye.

Mandy’s frown deepens. She turns to leave, but mutters something just audible to the both of us. “Just because something s***** happens to you doesn’t mean you have to be s***** about it.”

“Yeah, it does. Now ****ing leave me alone.”

Mandy pauses in the doorway. She looks back at me, an almost sympathetic look on her face. “I thought you were better than that, Kyndra.” She leaves, and I hear the front door shut softly behind her.



© 2018 Jay_Bluefire


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

o wate
where mandy is like where are you
i meant or anywhere not are anywhere

Posted 6 Years Ago


Locke Redwyne (night sys)

6 Years Ago

JAY JAY JAY JAY
Nice title, the *s are *obviously* bleeped out swear words, but the writing is exquisite! I've never read anything like it! This writing deserves a 110/100!!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Peregrinator7

6 Years Ago

lol true
as i've been uploading descendants i realized how much we sucked at writing at first.. read more
Locke Redwyne (night sys)

6 Years Ago

yeah XD you can edit it if you want
Peregrinator7

6 Years Ago

naw it's fine

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 11, 2018
Last Updated on April 11, 2018
Tags: Darkness Complete, Shards, Descendants


Author

Jay_Bluefire
Jay_Bluefire

Puyallup, WA



About
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is NOT putting it in fruit salad. Philosophy is wondering if that makes ketchup a smoothie. Common sense is knowing that ketchup is not a smoothie b.. more..

Writing
Ch 1 Ch 1

A Chapter by Jay_Bluefire


Ch 2 Ch 2

A Chapter by Jay_Bluefire