Flight

Flight

A Chapter by Jay_Bluefire
"

Jules gets her uniform!

"

Darkling looks back to make sure Jules is following. The senser by the door scans his retina before the door slides open. Jules gasps when she sees the huge lab, full of technology and inventions. “Did you build all of this?” She asks.

“Well… some of it. The rest I stole or modified.” He leads her to a table towards the back that has a few smaller inventions on it. Among these is a pendant-like circle of something like glass, ringed with shimmery metal that few would recognize as near-unbreakable umbranium. The thick chain is umbranium as well. Darkling picks up the necklace and holds it out. Surprised, and a little confused, Jules takes it. When the pendant-circle touches her hand, it lights up ice-blue. Giving a little shriek of surprised, she drops the necklace. Darkling catches it before it hits the ground. “It react to your power signature,” he explains.

“My… what?” Jules replies, still staring at the now-dim pendant.

“Everyone with superhuman abilities gives of energies that can be traced, called a power signature. The more powerful you are, the stronger the signature. I tweaked the light inside to run off of that energy, even if you aren’t consciously powering it.” He unclasps the chair, holding it out to her again. With a dubious glance, she takes it, clipping it around her neck. The pendant rests on her collarbone and lights up again, gleaming blue.

“Watch this.” Darkling reaches out and presses the center of the pendant. There’s a metallic click. After a moment of silence, Jules shrieks again as web-thin streams of thin metal links shoot out of the necklace, expanding and clasping together until they form a shimmery fitted bodysuit that stretches partway up her neck and down to her wrists and ankles. Glowing blue bands like the pendant clip around the edges of the suit. The umbranium weave is so thin it looks like fabric, and Jules’s eyes widen as she examines the outfit. Where the necklace cord had rested, small plates of metal halfway between feathers and scales line her collarbone and circle her neck. The same feather-scales loop around her waist and form a sort of skirt that falls to her mid-thighs.

“Woah,” Jules whispers. “Did you make this too?”

“Yes,” Darkling replies. “I started working on it after you joined. Do… do you like it?”

“Like it?” She glances up at him, a smile spreading across her face. “I love it. What else does it do?”

“It can collapse back into the pendant, the same way it’s released. It’s made of carbon-laced umbranium, so it’s almost unbreakable. And… here.” He hands her gloves made of the same material, and something like metal socks. “They attach to the bands around your wrists and ankles.” Jules immediately pulls the gloves on, then kicks off her shoes to replace them with the metal ones. Four snicks indicate that the attachments have become part of the uniform. “The shoes are sound-absorbing and shock-absorbent, and both the gloves and the shoes can grip just about anything.”

Tiny lights flash over Jules’s eyes as she uses her I.I.E.M. regulation Cyber-Contacts to analyze the outfit again. Most members of Darknight’s villain league use the contact lenses outfitted with cybernetic capabilities to help them on their missions and protect their eyes from most anything.

“Come with me,” Darkling says when Jules is finished looking over the suit. With an intrigued expression on her face, she follows him up a flight of stairs and onto the roof. “The feathers can turn into wings,” he explains. Jules gapes, staring at the feathery designs.

“Seriously?” She asks. She moves to the edge of the roof and crouches, like she’s going to leap off. A series of metallic clicks and snaps follow as the feather-scales retract off of the suit and gather at her back, growing out into a pair of silvery wings that send light reflecting in all directions. Jules glances behind her, jumping at the sight of them.

“The suit and wings will respond to… well, not your thoughts, but it’s precise technology. It’ll respond to small cues that most people can’t see.” Darkling waves at the air beyond the roof. “Want to give it a try?” When Jules bites her lip, wary, he steps up to the edge with her, then steps off, sending light to create an invisible platform. He stands level with the roof, but hovers over open air. “I’ll catch you if you fall,” he offers.

With that, Jules steps off of the edge, letting her wings catch the wind.



© 2018 Jay_Bluefire


Author's Note

Jay_Bluefire
Umbranium is a purely made up metal, just so you know. It is a shadow-infused metalloid with many strange properties, some similar to carbon. Only one isotope is not radioactive, and that is what's used here and in most umbranium stuff in this dimension.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

"The rest I stole or modified." Wow, darling Darkling.
Also, you can't use vibranium, that's Marvel copyright
Also, stop screaming, Jay. In another dimension, you created it yourself.
And, I like it

Posted 6 Years Ago


Locke Redwyne (night sys)

6 Years Ago

which is why they can get liquid on them
Jay_Bluefire

6 Years Ago

cool (ten characters)
Locke Redwyne (night sys)

6 Years Ago

ikr ten characters

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 12, 2018
Last Updated on April 13, 2018
Tags: Darkness Complete, Shards, Descendants


Author

Jay_Bluefire
Jay_Bluefire

Puyallup, WA



About
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is NOT putting it in fruit salad. Philosophy is wondering if that makes ketchup a smoothie. Common sense is knowing that ketchup is not a smoothie b.. more..

Writing
Ch 1 Ch 1

A Chapter by Jay_Bluefire


Ch 2 Ch 2

A Chapter by Jay_Bluefire