Argument

Argument

A Chapter by Jay_Bluefire
"

Jay heads to the I.I.E.M.'s base to talk with an old friend.

"

I fly over the silent city towards the I.I.E.M. base. Where Mandy is locked up.  Because of Darknight, because of who she is. Who she never wanted to be. The building comes into view, and I land on the roof. The lock on the rooftop door breaks easily. I hide in the shadows as I make my way to the holding cells.

In one of the cells, huddled in the corner is a figure, a woman. "Mandy?"

She looks up, and upon seeing me, lets out a long stream of curses that make me take a step back.

"First I get abducted, and now I have to deal with you?!" Mandy nearly spits. Her face is contorted into a scowl that seems sculpted into her face.

Kyndra appears behind me. "Who's yelli- oh, hi Mandy!" Like a caged animal, she growls and shoves herself deeper into the cell.

"Oh, what a nice little reunion we're having," she says, with no happiness in her voice.

"Mandy, please, listen to me," I beg.

"What's her deal?" Kyndra asks, what looks like blue tattoos glowing on her skin, muscles tensed as if preparing for a fight. "And why is she in there?"

"Some filthy metahuman thought I would look good as their daughter, so they drugged me and brought me here!" she practically yells,  fuming.

"Does Darknight know about this?" Kyndra asks, turning to me.

Mandy scoffs. "He just so happens to be the filthy metahuman that brought me here."

"You're Darknight's daughter? The one he's been looking for for years and years? And to think that I knew you the whole time!" Kyndra says, relaxing.

"Yeah, and you're going to use me as a tool like he did, aren't you?" she scoffs again. Kyndra is about to reply when I interrupt.

"Filthy metahuman?" I echo. "Is that really what you think of us?"

"Yes," Mandy says darkly. "You run around, thinking you're so great, you're so special when you're only conceited jerks trying to ruin people's lives. Tricking normal people into thinking they can be special as well when they can't. You filthy metahumans ruined my life."

A wave of anger washes over me. I look over at Kyndra, who looks like she's about to lose her top. Instead, she shoots a death glare at Mandy and crosses her arms over her chest, streams of water winding around and around her body, her calming technique. I turn back to Mandy.

"Seriously?" I snap. "You've got a pretty low opinion of people with superpowers. Did you ever stop to think that I didn't ask for these powers either? I never asked to freeze a whole building, or to get on the world's watch-list, or be hunted by God-knows-how-many villains who'd rather have me dead than risk having to fight me! Okay, I'm a villain, I work with Darkling and Darknight, but at least they've been nice to me. Nicer than you have been!" By the end of my outburst, I'm panting, and frost has scaled the walls. "I came here to try and talk to you, but this was a bad idea." I stalk away, leaving Kyndra and Mandy behind me. "By the way," I add, "the DNA tests match up. I checked. You actually are Darknight's daughter. So I guess you're a filthy metahuman too." I'm about to walk away again when she calls my name. I turn back to her.

Mandy stares at me, her scowling expression unchanged, but her eyes glowing with fury. "You know what I didn't ask for?" she leaps up and grabs the bars of the cell. "I didn't ask for who I thought to be one of my best friends to tell me to f*** off when I wanted to spend the last 6 months of her life with her. I didn't ask to be waved off as something inferior when my other friend ran away on a mushy honeymoon with her evil boyfriend and didn't even say goodbye. I didn't ask for being the crazy kid in school who was associated with these people. I didn't ask to be rejected, I didn't ask to be deserted, I didn't ask to come here, I DIDN'T ASK FOR ANY OF THIS B******* THAT MY G****** LIFE HAS BEEN!!!" Spittle is flying from her mouth by the time she is finished with her rant. Her chest heaves up and down, and I can see that she's worked herself into a sweat. She gives me the most hate-filled look I have ever seen and peels herself away from the bars. And in an instant, that carved-like scowl on her face melts away. My eyes widen when I see what she is staring at. The bars, made of solid steel, have crumpled in the shape of her hands like clay.

As quickly as it disappeared, the scowl on Mandy's face returned. She leaped back from the cell wall, looking at her hands as if they were foreign objects. "The hell did you make me do?"

"Make you do??" Kyndra asks, voice low, dangerous, and full of deadly venom. "I think that it's what you did, you filthy metahuman." The rage is all too plain on her face.

I can see that Mandy is barely holding back from leaping between the bars and tackling Kyndra. "I'm not supposed to be able to crush metal!" she yells, still staring at her hands.

Kyndra just smirks at her. "I'm not supposed to be able to manipulate water and create it out of air or sing and mind control people. I'm not supposed to be able to tell the history of an object or person just by touching them. I'm not supposed to be able to perfectly echo any moment that I see. I'm not supposed to be able to heal people with a touch. Jay's not supposed to be able to control and create ice out of the air and have some control of water. She's also not supposed to be able to speak any language she chooses without learning it. And yet, we find that we can do those at will. How do you explain that, Miss High-and-Mighty?"

When Mandy doesn't respond immediately, she smirks again. "Oh, that's right, you can't. Guess you're not so much of a normal after all." She takes a couple of steps back and turns to face the wall, trying to calm down.

The tension in the corridor is crushing me. I lean against the wall, still frosted from my outburst. The cool ice hardens under my touch, the only indication I give that I'm still angry. But... I understand where Mandy's coming from. And I did abandon her, as much as I hate to admit it. I sigh. "Mandy..." She fixes her glare on me. "I-- I'm sorry," I whisper. "I should've made time to be with my friends, but... I didn't. I'm sorry," I say again. This time I do leave, without waiting for her response. My feet pound the stairs as I race up to the roof, leaping off as my wings unfold.



© 2018 Jay_Bluefire


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Could you please change this to Trebuchet, font pt 10? Otherwise, it looks great.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Locke Redwyne (night sys)

5 Years Ago

Yeah but there's only about eight fonts and about twenty characters
that's why we added the u.. read more
Jay_Bluefire

5 Years Ago

This is different there's not going to be twenty POVs.
Locke Redwyne (night sys)

5 Years Ago

it would make sense to have the same font throughout the whole series, to kind of unify it

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

94 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 26, 2018
Last Updated on May 26, 2018
Tags: Darkness Complete, Shards, Descendants


Author

Jay_Bluefire
Jay_Bluefire

Puyallup, WA



About
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is NOT putting it in fruit salad. Philosophy is wondering if that makes ketchup a smoothie. Common sense is knowing that ketchup is not a smoothie b.. more..

Writing
Ch 1 Ch 1

A Chapter by Jay_Bluefire


Ch 2 Ch 2

A Chapter by Jay_Bluefire