And Of Course We Can't Call 911

And Of Course We Can't Call 911

A Chapter by Meghan Frederick

"Artie, tell me he's going to be ok!" I heard Skyler scream over a roar of voices.

My body jolted upright along with the bus riding on a bumpy road. I opened my eyes and looked around me at all the faces staring at me. I couldn't feel anything. My nerves were gone. I couldn't feel the sun on my face or the pain in my side. The only thing I can do was see and hear. "What's happening to me?" I asked out loud hoping someone knew.

"You're dying," Artie said sharply. I looked up at him and felt fear creep into me.

Skyler whipped her head towards him. He obviously hadn't told her.

Artie was one of the only angels my age that knew what dying was like on earth. Artie died in World War II. He was stationed in Germany, and being the Artie that I knew and loved, he was trying to protect a little village girl from being run over by a platoon of soldiers. He was able to pick up the young girl and move her away from the crowd of stomping boots, but as he put her down, he was shot square in the back by an ambush attack. He bled to death right there in front of the little girl. He still often has nightmares about it, and now I can see why. Death is very painful.

My breathing quickened. I could feel my heart pounding faster. Was I dying faster?

Skyler shifted her weight onto me so I could see her clearly in front of my eyes. "Dimitri, you need to calm down, okay? Take deep breaths. I know that's hard right now, but you need to."

I did as I was told. I looked deep into her sea blue eyes and let her presence calm me. Everything went silent. I felt like I was floating. Like on some cloud. My eye lids grew heavy. All I wanted was a nap. Just a little one.

I let my eye lids close.

There was no darkness behind my eyelids. It was only whiteness that grew as I looked forward. I took a step towards the light. Maybe it had something for me. Maybe it was to show me what I was meant for. I cautiously took another step towards it. It was like humming. A soft sweet humming of no tune directly. It was the most beautiful sound I had ever heard. It sounded like Skyler.

I was violently pulled away from the light. A wind pulling on to my clothing trying to drag me away. I tried to fight back to get to the light, but it was no use. The wind was too strong.

I took in my first breath from my nose since my heart had stopped, but my mouth was covered. A pair of soft, sweet lips were on top of them. I could feel myself healing and regaining strength. I reached up with one hand and cupped Skyler's face. Her cheek was wet. I tried to wipe away her tears with my thumb as I kissed her back.

"Skyler, you're healing him! How are you doing that?" I could hear Artie's voice yell.

"Shut up, Artie," I mumbled against Skyler's lips.

He laughed and faced the front of the bus.

I pulled away and looked at Skyler and saw her smile. That's why I'm here. She's why I'm still alive. She's the reason for everything. My Skyler.


© 2013 Meghan Frederick


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
Added on December 2, 2013
Last Updated on December 2, 2013
Tags: hurt, dimitri, help, angel, human, love, kiss


Author

Meghan Frederick
Meghan Frederick

Lafayette, LA



About
All I want to do is write :) more..

Writing