Chapter two: Curiosity killed the Deer (Part I)

Chapter two: Curiosity killed the Deer (Part I)

A Chapter by Melly moo
"

When life gives you lemons? Don't be lazy! get off the couch and find some chocolate.

"
     The school day had come to an end, and as always seemed to go so fast when I looked back at it but so slow when I was living it. I smiled like a love sick teenager at the sight of her boyfriend though in this case my boyfriend was an older man, who didn’t talk but seemed to purr whenever I turn him on "I’m talking about my car by the way, get your mind out of the gutter, I know what you were thinking. I turned the radio up and sung my favourite, Civilian by Wye oak. The song that followed was all about love which didn’t seem to surprise me since every song was based on love somehow, but the loving recklessly aspect of its lyrics appealed to me more then I’d like it to. Love was never on my agenda and I tended to gag and laugh more than cry and yearn at romantic chick flicks. The open road was unoccupied and bordered my second home "the forest. I smiled as looked out the window, the gaps in the forest revealing the peninsula coastline.
     The news came blaring in, so much for a ten in a row advertisement free station. I turned it turn but shortly turned it back up again when I heard the distress in the radio hosts voice -something wasn’t right. He then came to the main story and his odd distress earlier now had reason. A foreign journalist by the name of Sophie Deer has been claimed missing after she was said be back before her meeting with a local policeman in the late hours of the morning. She was last seen at Billow’s Dinner, where she had breakfast and was planning on a hike along the Freemont track. She hasn’t been heard from since. After a search taken out by local hunters for Miss. Deer out of fear for her safety alone in the forest, they found no evidence that she was even in the forest in the first place, taking this investigation to the next level. This is a small town and everyone knew of Miss. Deer’s arrival, someone had to have seen or heard something. Nothing like this has ever happened in the small town of Linage, our criminal rate is lower than any state of the continental US. There was only one recorded murder which was lately found just to be the work of an animal rather than a human being. I turned the radio off after that, not wanting to hear any more of it as I have this weird thing where I get too emotionally involved with people I have never meet before.
     I continued down the main road until I came to a sharp rocky road on the left, leading into the forest and probably the world’s longest driveway. It lead to Icy’s house, well her telescope which was house -don’t worry it doesn’t make sense to me either. I continued down the driveway, the afternoon seeming to get darker before its time "must be a new moon tonight. No this wasn’t a freaky wolf instinct thing that I knew the phases of the moon, it actually felt like it should be one of those things I knew, going by legends and stuff so I began to basically worship the moon and the sighs it seemed to give. The sight of a huge white telescope had me shaking my head, I still couldn’t believe how awesome it was and how I was so jealous that Icy lived here, I mean yeah a woman lived in a shoe but who can say they live in a telescope? now that’s something to right a nursery rhyme about.                                            
     “Good evening Miss Trixy” Icy’s dad said greeting me as I got out of my car.          
     “Good evening Dr. Lane” I said with a smile, locking up my car.       
     “Please, call me John” he said taking off his glasses and placing them in then the breast pocket of his lab coat.
     “Trixy, May I ask why you’re so early? Is there something wrong?” he said, always a man of business. Icy’s father was the only one outside my family who knew about me, when I found out about who I was before my nanna told me, he was the only person I could trust and the only scientist I knew that wouldn’t experiment on me.                           
     “No, john, not at all...but I was wondering if I could leave my baby here for a bit while I take a run up the mountains? There something that I wanna check out” I said being as honest as I could without tell him the whole truth.                                  
     “Of course, and I’ll send a light up when the others show up” he said with ease, not asking any questions which I could imagine to be very difficult for a scientist.                       
     “Thank you, John” I yelled over my shoulder as I ran for the forest that surrounded their home.
     I smiled with overwhelming joy and beauty of my life, my forest and my free spirited soul as it shone brightly in the form of a wolf "my true self. I was now in search of those like me, I was quite surprised to say the least that there were others out there like myself. My soul, my personality can be summed up into one animal, the wolf. For others that are like me and embrace the wolf -well let’s just say it’s like finding your other half. These people not only are Soul Bearers like me and can be one with their soul but we are alike in the sense that we think, live and breathe the same path. In human terms, our horoscopes are like our soul code, they tell us who we are by birth and that others of the same horoscope are like us, we are connected and are one in the same "well most of the time. But weather you believe in your horoscope is one thing but there is no denying one’s soul, your true calling and true belonging. It is true that two people can’t possibly by the same even when it comes to the soul; but deep down they are, they just choose to express this in different ways and let their soul shine in different lights but you can tell a wolf, from a bird and a bird from a whale. But even these animals have different species in itself; an arctic wolf, a bold eagle, a killer whale. Though a bold eagle is a bold eagle it is still a bird at heart. And even the wolf, the bird and the whale may be different from each other, like the bold eagle is a bird: the wolf, the bird and the whale are all animals at heart. I truly believe that there are others out there like me but now I have proof and more exciting to me, the fact that they are wolves is just another level of unreal in itself. 
     The forest is dense; the road, long but still I will continue to search not just tonight but forever until I find those I’m searching for. If only a wolf could smile, my hearts thumping and my paws galloping tread on the ground is the only release my excitement has from my body. My ears, my eyes and my nose is alert and on the prowl, searching for them. I lifted my head high in the sky with the last chance that I might find them. I howl long and hard -I really did hope they would show themselves. I’ve been searching for what seemed like two lifetimes. Though time was at the essence, I had cut corners here and there but I really needed to get back before the girls did. I could hear my howl echo though the trees; I stared up at the moon before making my way back. I was half way there when a light shone bright through the trees -it was Dr. Lane’s flood light. It was warning me that the girls were very close, to close for my liking. I bolted back, the light as my guide; I came to the edge of the forest where my clothes were waiting. I quickly got dressed and jogged out of the forest hopefully before they came down the driveway. The only light to blind me on my departure from the forest was the flood light and I was grateful for that, I didn’t want to jinx myself. Earlier, during English it occurred to me; the main characters in books and movies that have a supernatural secret like mine, well they make it sound so difficult to keep it a secret but the truth is its pretty easy.
     I was once a very sensitive girl, which wasn’t good for a Soul Bearer like me. I would shed at anything when I got a little too emotional but I have grown not to the let things go to heart and it’s worked so far. Though I also have good friends that I barley fight with and they aren’t nosy and pushy, they know everything about me -but that. I couldn’t understand how it was so hard for those people in books and the media to keep their secret? For them they saw only two options, become an anti-social hermit or share your secret. Ok, ok I have shared my secret, I’ll admit that, and it’s not that my nanna didn’t teach me everything she knows it was just I wanted scientist proof not just myths and legends. So that’s my jinx, I’ve been lucky for my life to be just as challenging as everyone else’s and being able to be normal around my friends; I hope that isn’t gonna change "touch wood.


© 2012 Melly moo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on October 27, 2012
Last Updated on December 21, 2012
Tags: romance, teen, young adult, fantasy, supernatual, suspense


Author

Melly moo
Melly moo

Australia



About
Reviews or messages, or anything is really helpful and appreciated!!! more..

Writing