Chapter 13 [KRIS POV]

Chapter 13 [KRIS POV]

A Chapter by Isabella Ballman

My eyes flicker, and then open. I hear a beeping noise around me. My eyes are blurry, and I can’t make out the people standing above me. I blink a few times.

         I see Kale, with his arm around Charlotte, her beautiful face bright red. Aimee’s there, too. She looks pissed. I lay in an uncomfortable hospital bed. It feels like plastic. The whole room is white, and I’m wearing a red hospital gown type thing. I don’t know why I’m here.

         “W…what’s going on?”

         “You got drunk and got your a*s kicked. You’re in the hospital.” Aimee snaps at me.

         “I’m so happy you’re okay!” Charlotte says, and Kale hugs her tighter, like if he didn’t hold on, she would leave.

         “What’s the worst that could have happened? I’m already dead, Charlotte.” I say. She starts to open her mouth, but then closes it. She looks confused.

         “So… there’s hospitals in hell? Funny.” I say.

         “Doesn’t make much sense.” Kale says.

         “What happened after they guy beat me up, did I fight back and kick his a*s?” I ask. I know I probably didn’t.

         “Kale took care of that for you.” Charlotte says and pats his stomach. He kisses her on the forehead.

         “No big deal. He had it coming.” He looks at his nails. Charlotte giggles.

         “So true! How are you feeling Kris?”

         “Um, okay I guess. A little sore.”

         “Maybe you shouldn’t get so drunk, you d****e.” Aimee snaps. She was worried though, I can tell.

         “Oh shush. I’m dead. What’s the harm?”

         “Kris, we care about you, and-”

         “Ha-ha, I barely know any of you. Why do you care?”

         “I can tell you’re a good guy…” Aimee says, self-conscious.

         “I’m not.” I tell her. I’m actually getting annoyed. These people think they know me, and they don’t.

         “F**k this. How about thanks? No? You really are a tool, you know that? I don’t get why Charlotte likes you so much.” Kale says, and Charlotte starts to blush. “You aren’t even friendly. I’m out of here.” He storms out of the hospital room. I shift in my bed. It’s not comfy at all.

         “You know what? Me too.” Aimee says. Charlotte stands by my feet. I cough.

         “You going to leave too, princess?” I don’t want her to leave. She moves closer to me, and sits at my waist.

         “Nah.” She says and smiles. I smile, too.

         “I just hate when people act like, like they know me. I get that Aimee probably does care for me. But I barely know her and she doesn’t know s**t about what I need. It’s just arrogant.”

         “Yeah, but try to understand Kris.”

         I start to calm down a bit. I over reacted for sure. I feel stupid now! So I change the subject.

         “So… was it that bad?” I ask her.

         “…What do you mean?” She asks.

         “Life. Was life that bad? Bad enough to kill yourself? I could never go through with that.” I try to get information out of here. I want to know her.

         “Not really. I liked living.”

         “So why’d you kill yourself? Did you get bullied or something?”

         “No. Ha-ha, I was popular. Kale was like, that cute rebellious guy that every one thought was hot, but we were all too afraid to talk to him. For some reason, he took an interest in me.”

         “And the guy made you want to kill yourself?” I ask her. She laughs, but not in the normal airhead way, in a self conscious way.

         “What about you? Did you like your life?” She asks me. Did I like my life? I loved it!

         “I loved it!” I repeat aloud. She smiles. I smile too, but then my face starts hurting.

         “Tell me more about Ana.”

         “Well, as you probably saw when you saw her, she’s gorgeous. The most gorgeous girl I’ve even seen. She doesn’t wear any makeup! And she doesn’t need too! She’s the most caring person I’ve ever met, but she can be a pushover at times. She’s wise beyond her years. She’s 25. Um, what else is there? She was in an abusive relationship for like 4 years, with this a*****e named Sam Michaels.” Her eyes widen at the name.

         “Brown spiky hair? Super skinny, and tall?” She asks.

         “Yeah, how’d you know?”

         “I’m Charlotte Michaels. Sam is my brother.”

“Seriously?” Is all I can say.

“Yeah. Now that I think of it, I remember him dating her! He was like 18, and I was like 14. I had no clue he abused her! I’m so sorry, Kris! Maybe he was messed up after I died at 16.”

“No need to apologize Charlotte. That’s really weird though, small world. Him and I have gotten into a couple of fights before, you know. I mean, no offence, but I hate him so much.”

I see the resemblance now. Same olive skin, and same green eyes. Charlotte starts crying. She looks like a freaking goddess. Her cry is soft.

“I didn’t mean to upset you.”

“Don’t you get it Kris? It’s my fault! If I didn’t kill myself, he probably wouldn’t have hit her.”

“People don’t just do that Charlotte, he obviously has a problem. It’s not your fault.”

         She lays her head down on my lap, and I run my hand through her hair.

         “Don’t worry about it okay? It made Ana stronger, and it wasn’t your fault!” I reassure her. She looks up, and sniffs. I wipe a tear from her cheek.

         “Ana’s perfect.” She tells me.

         “Do you have any stories?” I ask her.

         “Well, when we met, I wanted to be like her. I thought she was cool, and super nice! Not to mention stunning! I remember her giving me advice about boys, I think. But not much else.”

         “She’s great at giving advice, huh?” I state. She smiles, and gives a small nod.

         “Charlotte,” I say, “Can I ask you something?”

         “Yeah, sure, what is it?”

         “Are you okay with being dead?” I ask. She thinks for a long time.

         “No. To tell you the real truth,” She pauses, “I hate Kale so much for taking away everything I’ve ever had.”

         I guess I would too. But I thought Charlotte loved Kale. It almost seems like Kale was Charlotte’s Celia. I feel like I can relate to Charlotte now. I reach out and put my hand atop her own. Her skin is soft.

         “I have to talk to Kris. Get your cute a*s out of her, Charlotte.” I hear a voice say. I look up, and see Keith. He’s leaning against the doorway, with his arms crossed. Charlotte gets up, places her big, soft lips on my cheek, and leaves the room. As she goes, Keith slaps her on the a*s, and she giggles.

         “Bye Kris! Call me if you need anything.” She squeaks.

         “She could drive a man crazy, huh Krissy?” Keith says, walking to stand by my feet.

         “Hell yeah…” I tell him. “So, why are you visiting me? I mean, don’t you have other… devil things to be doing? Why are you talking to me? I mean, like, why me? There are trillions of other people here.”

         He laughs, and shakes his head. “You’re different. You shouldn’t be here.”

         This peeks my interest. Not supposed to be here? Does this mean I get to go to heaven?

         “W-what do you mean?” I ask, bewildered.

         “There was a mix up with our files. You should be in Heaven. Whatever though, nothing we can do about it now, so don’t argue.”

         Now I’m confused. Why can’t I go to heaven? Does he want me down here for something? Whatever it is, it makes me mad.

         “Anyways, that’s not why I’m here. I’m here because you need to get some work done. It’s Wednesday, and you need 1,000 dreams done by Friday. Better get to it.” He hands me all the files on the people I need, paper, and a pen. “And here’s this.” He hands me a circular white pad, with a green button in the middle of it.

         “What is it?”

         “Press it to get into the dream room.” He says. “Good luck, get to work. Oh, and Kris?”

         “Yeah?”

         “Try not to get your a*s kicked again.”

         “…Yeah.”

         And on that note, Keith leaves. He’s not that bad actually. I was too quick to judge. Now it’s time to visit Ana again. I press the little green button.

 

         This time I choose our house for a destination. Our bed. Our king-sized, white, fluffy bed. Ana’s laying on it, face down. I’m rubbing her back. She looks up. But, this time, she’s not as excited. It seems I never died.

         “I love you babe.” She says smiling. “This all feels like a dream. I knew you were never dead, though.” And then it hits me. I can’t do this; I’m going to make her delusional.

         “I am dead.” I tell her. “It is a dream.” She gets up.

         “Not even funny, Kris.”

         Something comes over me. I get up. The only way to get through to her is to be harsh, I just know. “I told you I was f*****g dead Ana. DEAD! I’m in hell, too. I’m sorry I have to be so harsh, but I do.” My body raises, and I turn my head into the devils. “Dead! Dead! Dead! Dead! Dead!” My voice morphs into something deeper, and creepy. All of the sudden, she screams. And then wakes up.

 



© 2011 Isabella Ballman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

315 Views
Added on May 14, 2011
Last Updated on May 14, 2011

Welcome To Hell


Author

Isabella Ballman
Isabella Ballman

Mpls, MN



About
So... I'm not sure what to write here. I'm 14 years old and I love writing. But that should be obvious. I tend to swear a lot in my stories. If you're easily offended, I wouldn't read them. I apprecia.. more..

Writing
hey hey

A Story by Isabella Ballman