Chapter I-Memento

Chapter I-Memento

A Chapter by Nichole Angela

Chapter I: 

-Memento-

-Present day- 

-Mersheim-East- 

-Brandice residence-

Stein Brandice woke with a start. A bead of sweat fell down from his face. His hand was raised like the last scene in his nightmare with the silver bracelet on his left wrist. The nightmare about that man who abandoned him was occuring more oftenly then before but as time goes by, his nightmare was getting shorter and blurred that's why he started to forgot the other details like the face of the murdered couple, the man's face and the meaning of the writings on his bracelet.

As he sat up, he look at his bracelet then he switched his view to the table beside his bed. Atop the wooden table was the memento of his past. A sapphire necklace and a keychain that has three feathers (white,red and black). The keychain has an emblem that is unfamiliar to him. When he was about to get out of the bed, he heard a soft knock on the wooden door of his room. 

"Stein?" his mother asked

"I'm awake." he replied

"Then get yourself fixed and come down for breakfast. Mieschel and your father is already downstairs"

"Okay" Her mother's footsteps echoed as she goes away.

Stein went out of the bed and went towards his room's window. He unlocked the latch and pushed the window doors forward allowing the fresh morning breeze to pass through it. It was a bright sunny morning. Clouds were scattered on the sky and the sun shines brightly. After a group of birds flew before his eyes, he leaned on the windowsill and stared at the scenery that it offers to him.

From his small window, he can see the view of the city where they live. The city of Mersheim. Though Mersheim is regarded as one of the smallest city in Carille region, Stein was comfortable here. It is the city where he grew and the city that he cherished. Rows of houses with red roofs were all around the city. Tall and high structures that was made from marbles occupies most of the city. At the northern part of the city was the market. It is the busiest part of the city. Many stalls and shops were all around the place. Though nowadays, the prices of the goods were high especially during winter. The vendors were also hard to plead when it comes to lowering their good's prices. On the western part of the city, near the sea, was the port. The port is one of the main sources of income of Mersheim. It is where the goods of the city were exported to other regions and vice versa.

There are also many people on the streets. Children playing on the streets, adults talking to their friends are some example. The city was livelier during festivals especially during new year where beautiful and colorful fireworks illuminates the night sky.

Stein removed his gaze from the scenery and went to his wardrobe to get some clothes. He then took a bath. After changing his attire, he went to his bed's side table then picked up the keychain and the neclace. The next thing he did was went to the mirror that was on his wall. As he stand in front of the mirror to comb his hair, he saw his reflection staring back at him. A 17 year old boy with a dark blue hair and emerald colored eyes. He has a fair complexion and has medium bulit body. He was wearing an auburn vest under a white long sleeved shirt. He was in brown pants. The person in the mirror followed his actions as he lifted his arms to put the necklace into his neck. He tucked it under his shirt. His sapphire necklace looks expensive so he prefer to hide it than exposing it to the thieves. Even though they were not rich and in need of money, his family still insists on not selling it because it was important to him.

He feels lucky to have them as his family.

He put the keychain on his pant's pocket. Before he went out of the room, he turned around and surveyed his room. His room has walls and ceilings that was made from rock material. It doesn't look so sturdy and was likely to collapse with an earthquake. Up at the ceiling was a bunch of cobwebs. He sighed and thought that he needed to clean it again tomorrow.

He was satisfied though, even if they were only poor, he was blessed with a understanding and loving family. They accepted him wholeheartedly and treats him like a true family member.

On the right corner of the room was his wardrobe. He doesn't have much clothes but he treasure them. There was also his bed and a wooden table. On the left side, resides the wooden door and shelf that was leaning on the wall. The mirror lies near the window.

Their house was located on the eastern part of Mersheim. It was in the elevated part of the city. At the back of their house, beyond the stone wall, was the forest. Their family might not be rich but he was still happy to call it a home in this peaceful city.

The door made a clicking sound as he unlocked it. He turned the knob then swung the door open. He went to the stairs. While he was halfway, he was greeted by his family with their eyes fixed on him. A daily scene everyday except that he overslept today.

They were all already sitting beside the table as he sat down on his seat beside her sister. Their table was round and on top of it it was a vegetable soup, a loaf of bread, a small pitcher of milk, glasses, plates, spoon and forks. On the front seat was his father, Barron Brandice whose back was on the direction of the fireplace and his mother Farry Brandice who was on the left side of the table.

Barron and Farry was the couple whom he regarded as his parents. They were the one who found him on Seridan forest 10 years ago. They took care and loved him even though he is not their real son. On Stein's right was Mieschel. She was the true daughter of Barron and Farry. She was also Stein's beloved sister. Stein was 17 while Mieschel was 2 years younger from Stein. Her hair color was brown just like their parents. It was a bit curly in Stein's opinion but Mieschel insists that it is not. She has a fair complexion and is shorter than Stein. Their only similarity is their emerald green eyes. Ever since Stein was brought to their house, she has been his playmate, bestfriend and she accepted him as his brother without any complain.

"Good morning sleepyhead." Mieschel greeted him with a teasing tone.

As he goes downstairs, he yawned "Morning. I woke up late because of one girl that kept me teaching her how to read and write until midnight."

Mieschel's face was now as red as a tomato. Because of their status in life, Mieschel didn't received the chance to go to school. She just helps their mother on weaving and selling. Stein, however, was taught about basics when he was still little. It happened before he came to the Brandice family.

There were an exchange of stories as they ate their breakfast.

After eating, they heard someone knocked on the door. Stein opened the door as his father ordered him to. There was no one outside. Instead, when he looked down, he saw a newspaper and a bottle of milk. It was the daily delivery from the city. He picked it up then closed the door.

After putting the milk into their food storage, he read the headlines of the news paper.

"What is it about?" his father asked.

"It talks about the failing city of Ferds and" Stein sighed and continued "about Zander"

Having no interest in political matters, he handed the newspaper to his father. He went to the cabinet to get his bag. His father took as sip of his coffee as he reads the newspaper.

All Stein know was that Zander was the present king of the Carille kingdom and he became the youngest ruler at the age of 12. He became the proclaimed king 6 years ago. He continues to rule until now that he was 20. Cardise is a vast land that was divided into 3 kingdoms and consists of several towns and cities. Carille is the highest kingdom of Cardise. It governs the other 2 kingdoms; Reanthel and Dreael.

"It was a great loss... Ferds was one of the liveliest city here in Carille before... And Zander, he has changed" Farry said with a descending tone of voice.

"Yeah... Before he was a really a good and kind ruler but now, he became the opposite. Maybe some people really change after some time." Barron said

"I guess that's their nature...They cannot resist the temptations that was offered by their positions." Stein added.

"You'll never speak that way if you are there." his father spoke.

"Maybe...but I'll never know because I will never be there." It's a fact that Stein has already accepted a long time ago. The fact that all his life, he will live as a commoner with a simple life not like in the kingdom. If you are rich, you will always be imprisoned in a chaotic life.

After that exchange of opinions, Stein's mother picked up the plates and put it on the sink to wash it. Meanwhile, his father went to their backyard to fix some machines including her mother's sewing machine. Her mother was a great weaver of any kind of clothes. It helps them in earning money. Mieschel went with Farry to help. Stein on the other hand, prepared the things that he needed for that day and put it all in his bag. He slung his brown bag on his body and went to the shoe rack. He sat on the couch and wore his brown boots on his feet. After confirming that he was now ready, he stood up.

"I'll be leaving!" he then went towards the door. A bright and pleasant morning view welcomed him.

"Another day...Back to work." Stein sighed and went ahead.

-End of Chapter I-



© 2012 Nichole Angela


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

313 Views
Added on August 29, 2012
Last Updated on August 29, 2012


Author

Nichole Angela
Nichole Angela

Philippines



About
I just want to share what's on my mind more..

Writing