Chapter V-Friend-Night Sky

Chapter V-Friend-Night Sky

A Chapter by Nichole Angela
"

The stars will always lead the way

"

-Chapter V-

- Friend-Night Stars-

Stein found himself lying on his bed as he opened his eyes to a new morning. The birds outside were chirping in unison as they sat on the tree's branches. He was grateful to the comfort and warmth that was provided by the blanket that was covering him.

Stein was still too sleepy to get up since he slept late last night. Morning to be exact. He decided to close his eyes to rest his distorted mind for a few minutes. He recalled what happened last night. 

*** 

"We are Braziells."

"Braziells?" It rang a bell on Stein's memory. He heard that word a long time ago, but he forgot what it is and who told it to him.

"Oh? You formed a contract with a Braziell with no knowledge about them?" The blond woman mocked Stein as she stood up to regain her previous position. "Hey Braziell over there! Looks like you chose the wrong person to form a contact with." she also mocked Sifanderiel.

"....." Sifanderiel's reply was only silence. Stein doesn't know if she was thinking about what the blonde said or if she was annoyed by what their enemy said.

Stein glanced at Sifanderiel who tightened her grip on the sword on their hands. Although their arms are supposed to be touching each other, Stein felt like she was there and at the same time, she isn't. It is because she was literally like a spirit that floats beside him. It was like the wind that caresses his skin, gentle and warm. Allthough her voice was soft, you can feel her presence as she stood beside you like she was a normal human being.

The way she stood and holds the sword was as if she was teaching him. Like a teacher guiding a beginner. He knows that this is not the right time to blush, especially in their current situation, but he can't help it. After all, she was too close to him with her face only inches apart from him.

I-I know how to use swords.

I see...

She lifted her grip and let Stein handle the beautiful blade all by himself.

I'll leave it to you then.

"Pyro." The blonde addressed the spirit that was floating on her right side.

There was silence for a while until the guy named Pyro broke the silence between them "Got it."

Be careful...They are going to use some fire tactics.

"Eh? Just like what they used earlier?" Stein wasn't sure if his guess was right but he thought that she was referring to the fire technique that they used earlier. Stein was now very confused but somehow, his panic was being suppressed by the calm Blue haired girl that was keeping him company.

Yes. Just do normal swordplay and I'll take care of the rest.

He managed to nod at Sifanderiel to let her know that he got what she said.

"Here goes nothing."

Stein braced himself as the pair on the opposite side of the room dashed towards their direction. He placed his wounded hand on the hilt of the sword to add force. It doesn't hurt that much so he decided that a little more help might be handy.

"Hah!" The blonde, together with the Braziell(as they call themselves) on her side, slashed at Stein. With Stein's little knowledge in swordplay, he managed to block the attack. Spark flew again as their two swords collided with each other once more. As the two stayed in position in their struggle to push each other, the difference in color between the two swords came to a comparison. Unlike the icy blue sword that Sifanderiel gave him, the blond's was clad in a crimson red color. There were silver symbols and designs all over the blade of her sword. It was kind of pretty in Stein's opinion. He forced himself to shrug the idea since now is not the appropriate time in admiring their ENEMY's sword.

As they struggled to keep their swords in place, Stein managed to take a good look at the yellow haired woman. She has a white complexion with hazel brown eyes and black eyelashes. Her current stance caused her loose sleeve to slid down a little, revealing her white colored wrist. On her wrist, also hung a silver bracelet. Though Stein couldn't decipher what it is.

She broke the close distance of their swords by lifting her sword away. She then continued to hack through them, hoping to deplete their strengths and she was succeeding in her plan. He thought that although she was female, she has more strength than what he expected. She was also too quick for Stein to make a counter attack. Every time he plans to make one, she immediately turns his attention by doing other sword tactics. Soon, Stein started to feel his arm going slower. He waited for a helpful advice from Sifanderiel but she never speaks. She was just observing the whole time.

"Looks like your braziell was getting bored from you. You are not worthy for her."

She grinned and seized the opportunity in the vulnerability that Stein exposed. She swung her sword on him with one hand and he did exactly what she needed, he blocked the attack. Seeing that Stein was already tired, she leapt backward and with her she held her sword with two hands. In an instant, a wave of flames was hurling towards Stein.

Quick! Slice through the air!

She ordered him. With the remaining strength he has left, he lifted his sword and did what he was told before the wave of flames reached him.

Wind Blade.

Sifanderiel murmured to herself and to Stein's surprise, a gust of wind erupted from the spot where he has sliced his blade a while ago. It managed to counter the flames, making a huge eplosion of smoke as they meet at midair.

Go!

As the smoke still obstructs their fields of vision, both Stein and their opponent, Stein decided to plunged himself into the wall of smoke and targeted their enemy.

A metallic sound echoed on the room as the icy blue sword hits the crimson one. Although they both can't see each other, they managed to execute their own moves.

"You're quite handful you know that. You're giving me problems." The blond's tone of voice changed and started to be serious and at the same time, annoyed.

"Hey, relax Mavis...Don't let him get into your nerves." reminded her auburn haired partner. "Remember our goal here."

She sighed and with that, she pushed Stein, thus, keeping him away from her and making the sole of his shoes slid on the surface of the glassy floor.

"Mavis...?" He spoke her name in a soft volume that is almost no longer audible to hear.

The tomboyish girl named Mavis turned her head sideways to look at the spirit beside him. A private conversation occurred with the two of them just by looking at each other's eyes.

"Eh...Just when I'm starting to enjoy here. Geez." She lowered her defenses but Stein didn't. Instead, he fixed his gaze on her to make sure that none of her possible surprise moves will go unnoticed. In their current situation, it is better to be prepared than to be sorry.

"Hey! I'm sorry to interrupt our little game but we have to stop right here." she turned the direction of her words towards Stein who was still in a fighting stance.

She then spoke with a deadly and threatening tone, "You're lucky to have been spared. Be glad that you are still alive."

"Mavis let's go!" There was a trace of urgency within the words that was delivered by her male partner as he tugged her white sleeve.

"Yeah yeah...See you later then!" Her next move was twisting the sword in her hand in one full rotation as if she was just toying with the dangerous blade. A combination of smoke and white flash froze Stein's and Sifanderiel's movements because of their necessity to protect their eyes by closing it as the blinding light emerged.

It only lasted for a few seconds but that short span of time was enough for their enemies to make a successful distraction and vanish from their sight. The next thing they knew was that they were the only pair left in the blue room.

"They are gone." Stein couldn't help slumping on the glass floor from the relief that they might be safe now. He felt his hands trembling because the courage that he felt earlier subsided and the suppressed fear was starting to take place.

"It's over." Sifanderiel stated the words that Stein wanted to hear right now. The blue sword in his right hand started to fade and soon, it broke into silver dust. Those dusts flew to his left, to where Sifanderiel is. While Stein turned to look at her, the silver dust gathered at her and in a few seconds, she was back to her normal, human self.

She then crouched in front of him and peered her sapphire eyes to his emerald ones. "Good work."

Let me formally introduce myself "My name is Sifanderiel. Nice to meet you."

"I'm Stein Brandice." Yes, it was nice meeting her but Stein thought that maybe it could have been better if they met in a NORMAL way. Stein gladly shook her hand when she offered it to him. Her hand is soft and smooth like a baby's and its makes him feel a little conscious about his hand as well.

Then he realized that awkward moment between them.

"O-oh s-sorry!" He immediately let go of her hand and apologized when he realized that he was holding it for a while. Thanks to the dim and blush light of the room they are in, the sudden color change in his face was less evident. He averted his gaze from her but in the corner of his eye, he was sure that her eyes were still fixed on him as if those beautiful eyes were eyeing his physical qualities.

"It's fine...I am your sword after all and forever will be." Her tone was soft and monotonous but nevertheless, it soothes Stein's ears. Though meaning of the last words that came out from her lips were still a little confusing for him. He witnessed and first handedly experience what she did during their encounter with the merchants. He still can't recall what Braziells are but what's clear to him is the similarity of Sifaderiel and the auburn haired partner of Mavis. They are both special and by saying special, he pertains to their weird ability to change into swords. Stein is a huge fan of swords but never in his life that he heard or saw Braziells. Not until now though. He wonders that if these kinds of people-slash-swords existed along with them, why they are never told in history, yet alone be seen by people. Things like this definitely shouldn't have escaped from the sharp ears of robbers and bandits alike. Surely, rumors about them could have picked up the interests of people and thus, turning them as the topic in the town.

Nevertheless, he decided to let the topic slip off for tonight. He was tired and a good sleep would really help in clearing his hazy mind. He also felt fatigue from the fight. Maybe using those unique tactics have drained his energy faster than it should have been. But first, he has to ensure the safety of the woman in front of him. He has the exact place in mind where to leave her for the night. "Okaaay...? But you know, we should get going now. They might come back and it will make our situation worst if they corner us here again."

The answer that he got from her was a nod. That was enough to make Stein start walking with Sifanderiel behind him. "Follow me."

Their shoes made a tapping sound as it hits the glass floor. The glass wall that was blocking the Stein's way a while ago has vanished. How it happened was also a mystery to him. He was too focused on the fight that why he didn't noticed the change in their surroundings anymore.

They reached the bottom of the stairs where he fell earlier and ascended towards the bright exit of the passage.

He poked his head outside first to make sure that their way was clear and free from the dangerous pair. But before he even managed to inspect the forest thoroughly, to his surprise, the girl who was a step lower than him suddenly went ahead all by herself without saying a word. Stein watched as her sky blue hair fluttered past him.

She now stood way above him and lifted her head towards the direction of the sky with longing in her eyes. Her eyes sparkled just like stars in the sky. It was like she was alone for a long time and misses the outside world.

As she stared at the night sky, she spoke, "It's beautiful." She looked gorgeous under the moon's light. Stein was staring at her while leaving the ladders to stand beside her. He couldn't help but be mesmerized with her view. The sky blue hair in her head was being gently swayed by the night breeze just like what it does with the leaves of the trees.

He forced himself to leave his trance and talked to her "Do you like the moon?"

"No." She answered right away without any hesitation.

"I see..." He wasn't really depressed with her answer but he was thinking on what to say next to keep this conversation alive.

"The stars are the ones that I like."

Well that's new. Most people say that they like the moon but she was different. That's fine with him though, because he feels the same way. He admired the stars more than anything else in the night sky. It was one of the most beautiful celestial bodies ever made.

"Me too."

She averted her gaze to Stein's face before lifting it on the night sky again. They stood there for a while which feels like it took much time then it is supposed to be.  

*** 

"Yaawn..." Stein stretched his arms as he sat up on his bed. A little brown bird landed on his window as he gazes upon the bright sky through his window while sitting on his bed.

"Ugh...My head." he pressed his hand against his temple when his mind became foggy for a while. He waited for a few seconds until the spinning of his surroundings subsided. It is mainly 'caused by weariness and lack of sleep due to the commotion last night. He went out of bed right after he felt well again. His gaze fixed on his bed. His body still wanted to lie on the bed but his mind contradicts the idea. He needed to earn money today and until he can still bear it, he'll do it. He thought that a long and comfortable sleep later that night will solve his problem.

Stein opened the wooden door of his room and headed for the stairs. The wooden planks creaked as he stepped on each of them.

He used his hand to cover his mouth as yawned again. That's when he noticed that several eyes were fixed on him.

"What's with the weird looks?" He directed his question to his father, mother and sister who were sitting in front of the table. He sat on his usual seat beside Mieschel.

Stein turned his eyes sideways towards Mieschel who was happily grinning.

"What? Did I miss something while I was asleep?" He asked while wrapping his hands around the wet glass of water in front of him. Tiny droplets of water were trickling down the glass due to the cold water inside. The cold water gave a refreshing feeling to him as it went down his throat.

Before Mieschel could answer Stein's question, the door of their comfort room creaked open. His father, mother and Mieschel looked to the left side of their house where the bathroom is located. Stein's eyes widened with what he saw. The person that he saw made him choked from the water and coughed a few times.

The person walked towards them with her sapphire blue eyes staring at Stein. Her long blue hair was as beautiful as the last time he saw her.

"What was she doing here!?"

It was her new friend, Sifanderiel.

 



© 2012 Nichole Angela


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
Added on September 28, 2012
Last Updated on September 28, 2012


Author

Nichole Angela
Nichole Angela

Philippines



About
I just want to share what's on my mind more..

Writing