Chapter II-Quills

Chapter II-Quills

A Chapter by Nichole Angela
"

The Quills...

"

Chapter II: Quills

Stein made his way to the forest. Since they were near the border of Mersheim, Seridan forest was just minutes away from them. He looked around the scenery before him as he walked on the green patches of grass.

Around him were tall and big trees. The forest is scary at night because it was covered by vast groups of trees that almost makes the place impassable for moon's lights. During summer, Seridan forest is like a breeding ground of fruits and medicinal herbs. Mersheim enjoys bountiful harvest during this times.

"Happy birthday Steeeein!"

"Wha-" Stein was astonished by the sudden call of his name. A gentle orange light then happily flew around him. It was then followed by a few more in different colors. They look like fireflies or orbs of lights floating in front of him. For ordinary people, yes they were fireflies. For Stein however, they are different from what others sees.

"How many times do I have to tell you guys...This date is not my birthday." he blinked hard. When he opened his eyes, he saw the orbs' form as it truly is.

"Then I'll tell you again, believe it or not, it's today." a small girl with a orange dim glow around her was floating in front of him. The orbs of light a while ago were transformed into a little creatures of different color and genders. The one in front of him, the talkative one, has long blond hair and dressed in orange clothes.

They were Pixies or also known now As quills. Quills are spirits that were guarding a specific place. In the case of the ones in front of him, they were residing in Seridan forest. Ever since he was little, he has been friends with them. He is the only one in the area who can see and hear them.

"This is a present for you!" about 4 quills were lifting a single basket. It was filled with a variety of forest products like fruits and herbs.

He gladly accepted them. He sat down under a tree and the quills followed.

They enjoyed the shade that the trees offered. He opened his bag and inserted his hand on it. He grabbed a pouch of cookies and laid it down on the grass.

"Erie gave me a jar of cookies yesterday so I thought that you might want some."

"Oh...That girl, Erie. I think she really likes you." A male blue quill teased him.

"Huh? She is just my friend that's all."

"You're being choosy eh? She's not bad for you, I mean...she is kind, intelligent, etc."

Before Stein could answer, Lily flew towards him. She pouted as she landed on Stein's right shoulder.

"No! Stein is mine! I won't let any girl take him away."

"Hah! Stop daydreaming Lily, you're a quill. A quill can never be with a human, accept that fact."

"There can always be a first time. Isn't Stein?" Lily averted his gaze to Stein. Her tangerine eyes bore at him.

"Uh...No comment." Stein was just enjoying listening to the debate of the two pixies. He has no intention of dragging himself in or angering one of them.

"See? You are not even his type! Let's see...Compared to Erie, you are a noisy, talkative, stubborn, naughty, weird-"

"Ahhh! Stop it, Flan!" Stein and the other quills laughed as Lily blushed. Flan, on the other hand, grinned with his success. Flan was a male blue quill. You could regard him as Lily's bestfriend and at the same time, her mortal enemy. Flan usually opposes Lily. But, as they say, maybe opposites do get attracted with each other. From Stein's point of view, Flan likes Lily. He always tease her but he is still always there to protect her.

Lily was embarassed with what Flan was saying about her, but she still decided to continue defending herself.

"So what? I have an advantage because I found him first." Lily and Flan glared at each other.

The last phrase that came from Lily rang a bell on Stein. What she just said is true. 10 years ago, she was the first one who saw him before Farry and Barron arrived. She was also the first quill that he has ever met and befriended. Stein hid and nearly ran away when he first met her while wandering in the forest while his parents were busy picking fruits. She was Stein's first friend.

Lily and Flan glared at each other.

"You two looks good together."

Their jaws dropped as Stein delivered his words.

"Whaaat!?" They both blushed and fell silent when they accidentally met each other's gaze.

Stein picked a cookie and split it into two with his hands. He offered each piece to them. They immediately took it and sat on the grass with a wide gap between them.

Meanwhile, the two violet quills who just finished their cookies, approached him. It was Let and Vio. They were twins with different gender. They are kind and aside from their gender, they were exactly the same in all aspects.

The the female one, Vio, flew towards him and stated, "You shouldn't be here Stein, you should be a royal blood by now..."

The The male one, Let agreed with her sister "I agree...You don't deserve to be in this place for commers. After all, you are a son of a hero..."

Those were the words that he always think about. The quills always says something about him that he didn't know himself. He cannot decipher whether what they are telling him were the truth or not. They always tell him that he was a son of a hero. He doesn't even know his parents or where did he came from. He thought before that it might be the man who abandoned him at the forest might know the answer but he still doesn't know he's whereabouts or if he is still alive.

"I don't really care..." About being a royal blood, he doesn't like it that much. He doesn't want to be in a chaotic world of kingdoms fighting for power though he also cannot stand seeing commoners like him suffer.

He then continued "...Maybe I will find the answer to my identity in the right place and in the right time.

He picked a strawberry from the basket that the quills gave him and eat it. It was bright red and sweet. As expected from the products of Seridan forest. It was always the most delicious fruits that he has ever tasted. But it has to wait because he has to go to work today. He stood up from his seating position and fixed himself. He grabbed the basket on the grass. He still wanted to stay but his work won't allow him. He knows that he'll be late but he just can't skip going to the forest.

"You're leaving already?" a pink quill named Fleia asked him.

"Yeah. You know, the usual stuff...Work."

"I see...Take care." with that, he walked away from them.

After taking several steps away from them, Fleia called his name.

"Stein!"

Strein looked back. "Hm?"

"Comeback here before midnight...You'll receive the gift that we promised you a long time ago."

He was about to walk towards them to asked more but he was already to late. With a breeze of wind, all the quills disappeared in an instant.

"What gift?"



© 2012 Nichole Angela


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
Added on September 16, 2012
Last Updated on September 16, 2012


Author

Nichole Angela
Nichole Angela

Philippines



About
I just want to share what's on my mind more..

Writing