Chapter III-Gift-Silhouette

Chapter III-Gift-Silhouette

A Chapter by Nichole Angela
"

Some dreams have meanings~

"

Chapter III: Gift-Silhouette

The buzzing noise of people's chatterings invaded Stein's ears as soon as he entered the city. The city was filled with plently of people as usual. Although the sun was emitting its light right now, Stein finds its temperature warm and fine. The other people on the streets might have felt the same way as him for they did not mind the heat and just continued on their daily chores. Every person in this street is in need of money just like Stein that's why they always proceeds to work early.

Stein walked in the shortest way that leads to the market. As his feet hits the stone floor of the city's streets, he looked around. There were hordes of people walking here and there. People with different agendas but were gathered in a single place. On the sides of the street was a line of shops and boutiques. From clothes, tools, and other necessities can be found here. This is also one of the busiest place around here for they also sell numeruous items. This kind of shops keeps this part of the city lively.

A particular shop caught Stein's attention. On the right side of the street, was a blacksmith shop. Stein decided to take a quick look. Beyond the glass, several swords were displayed. Varying from simple up to the most beautiful sword was now laid before Stein's eyes. He found himself attracted to it because he admire swords. When he was little, Stein loved swords. They were beautiful and exquisite. He always looked up to those who are able to use it. Except the one who murdered his true parents years ago. The murderer's face flashed itself on Stein's mind again. He cannot forget the face of the person that changed his life forever. He cannot forgive that merciless guy who still managed to smile after destroying his life. That incident changed his perspective about swords as he grew up. He realized an important fact about it.

Swords are dangerous tools of war that are literally double edged. It can be used to protect somebody or hurt others. Swords are like puppets that waits for someome to pull their strings. A sword can be use in several ways depending on the intention of the wielder.

Stein actually felt pity towards those swords because they cannot express their feelings or move by will.

"It's a shame that they cannot complain when they are being used to take away lives."

"Yeah. They did not wished for their fate to be like that. It's all because of those people who treats them the wrong way." Stein would have not noticed that he murmured his thoughts out loud if not for the presence of the man beside him. Stein shifted his gaze from the swords to the man who replied to him. It was a middle aged man with black and grey hair. He was holding a black toolbox in his hand.

"You have a passion for swords young man. I like people like you. Only a few appreciates their other purpose." he flashed a smile on Stein "What is your name?"

"Um...I just want to ask before answering the question. Who might you be?" Stein completely has no idea about the identity of the man that was standing before him. He concluded that before he state his name, he wanted to know who was the one who asked first.

"Oh sorry...It's rude of me not to introduce first. I am Krae, the owner of this shop."

Stein then answered "Stein...Stein Brandice"

"Oh...are you by any chance, related to Farry and Barron?"

"You know my parents?

"Ah! So you are that boy from before! You have grown into a quite handsome man. I am a friend of your parents. By the way, how are they? I haven't seen them in a while now." the man said with a cheerful tone.

"They are fine. They-" Stein was interrupted when someone called him from afar.

"Hey Stein!" Erupting among the crowd, Sead was waving at Stein as he and Erie ran together to his direction. Sead was Stein's bestfriend and they have the same age. Sead has always been his partner and the one who always cheers him up since Mieschel is still young. Sead is like a brother to Stein and one of the important person why Stein was able to adapt to his new life. Erie, on the other hand, is kind and intelligent just as Flan described. She has golden brown hair and crystal blue eyes. Stein met her during the festival with Sead years ago. She was usually timid but she is better if you know her. On her left hand was a small bag.

They were gasping for breath as they stood beside Stein.

"Hah...Stein...Jerdith was already waiting for you." Sead blurted out as soon as he was enable to speak again.

"Sead!" Erie pertained to the mistake that Sead has just commited. He spoke without noticing the man that was in front of Stein.

Sead immediately apologized when he realized what he just did. "Ah! I-I'm so sorry for suddenly interrupting in the conversation."

The man with streaks of grey hair smiled at the three teenagers before him. "It's fine. I bet you still have things to do. Oh, but before you leave, Stein I wanted to give you something." the old man quickly unlocked the door of his shop and went inside.

Sead then spoke to Stein. "Who was that?"

"He said that he owns this shop and that he is a friend of my parents."

"Oh...He seemed friendly though." Stein completely agree with that. The man has a friendly aura around him. He was like the person whom you just met but gives you a comfortable feeling.

"Here you go." The old man thrusted a bronze amulet in Stein's hands as soon as he regain his position in front of Stein.

"What is this for?" Stein was confused with the sudden deeds of the old man that he just met. Although he claims that he knows him, Stein don't even have a single recollection about him.

The old man laugh, "I'm just glad that I saw you again. i never thought that you lived here all this time.I wanted to give you one of my works but it's all reserved so I will just give that one to you. Never lose it okay?"

Erie then tugged Stein's sleeve, signaling that they needed to go or else they might be scolded again.

The old man must have noticed what it meant because the next words that he uttered were, "Well, I guess you are needed somewhere else. Best regards to you Stein. Come visit me again some time."

Stein rested the amulet on his vest's pocket and thanked the old man. Stein, Sead and Erie then bowed and started to leave. Sead and Erie left first and was able to make a gap between them and Stein. It was because when Stein was about to leave, the old man spoke again.

"Think of it as a lucky charm and my gift to you since today is another special day isn't it? Be careful."

Stein became confused with the man's words again but he was refrained from asking when he saw the time on the clock tower. He decided to set aside that matter for now and just concentrated on catching up with Sead and Erie.

-Mersheim City- 

-Market- 

-Jerdith's shop-

The chime that was hanging on the shop's door rang as soon as Sead, Erie and Stein entered Jerdith's shop. The shop was decorated with different displays of clothes for different occassions. This shop was large and quite popular around here since it has attractive designs. This shop also offers orders or customized clothes. It's walls were painted with light blue and different pictures hangs on it. The couch where they sit was actually for customers. It was located near the main desk where Jerdith usually was.

"You are late Stein." there was someone sitting on the couch of the shop. She spoke to Stein in a teasing tone. She looks like the older version of Erie with her light brown hair and blue eyes.

Stein scratched his head. "Sorry...I just got into some conversation with someone...The cloth that you needed is here though." Stein put down the basket that the quills gave him and brought out a pink satin cloth from his bag. It was from her mother. Yesterday, Jerdith asked for some spare cloth that she can use. Farry contributes some of her works here and gets paid by Jerdith. Farry is a great tailor and Jerdith acknowledges it.

"Mother, I brought the things that you told me to pick up." Erie spoke to her mother as she placed her bag on the wooden desk. The woman on the couch is Jerdith. She is Erie's mother and the owner of the shop where their foots are now stepping on. She is a woman in her 30's although she still lools like she still on her 20's. She was kind in Stein's opinion though she can be terrifying at times. She was also the kind of mother that can be treated as your bestfriend and the one that you can always talk to.

Sead, Erie and Stein exchanged places with Jerdith as she went to get the bag that Erie left.

They were only starting to enjoy sitting when Jerdith spoke. "Heh...Looks like you forgot something, Erie."

"Eh?" It was projected all over Erie's face that she cannot remember missing a thing on the things that she brought.

"You forgot to get the order from West." Jerdith reminded her. Erie's eyes widened as soon as she remembered it.

Erie was about to stand up, probably to fulfill the task that she has forgot to do when Jerdith interrupted her. "But! As a compensation for being late, I will give the privilege of letting you do this task Stein.

She winked at Stein "Oh wow thanks..." he spoke sarcastically. Stein always experience that from her so Jerdith was also used to that personality of Stein by now.

Stein stood up and went through the door. He was greeted by the noise of the city that blended with the chime's ring as he stepped out of the door. He walked towards West's residence. Then something, or Someone, was caught in the corner of Stein's eye. He doesn't know if it was a trick of light or just his imagination, but he saw a woman in the alley beside him. It was a woman clad in white clothes with long white hair. Stein shifted his gaze upon the narrow alley on his right side hoping to see the woman, but as he did this, the woman vanished. The woman was no longer there. She instantly disappeared without any trace. Stein was practically used to her, popping here and there only to disappear whenever he looks at her. He was no longer bothered by it. Plus, he knew that lady a long time ago. Her presence was always alongside him as he grows up. Stein always sees her in the shadows and he knows that she was following him until now. He doesn't know her intention or if she is a good spirit or whatsoever but as long as she doesn't hurt anyone, he's fine with her tagging around him. Although, he will be more satisfied if he can talk to her or at least look at her.

Stein finally reached his destination. After fulfilling his mission, he immediately headed straight back to Jerdith's shop.

They then started their work. Stein checked the inventory, Sead transferred and arranged some items, Erie cleaned the surroundings and Jerdith was busy listing some things which Stein guessed are related to her business. This is usually their daily work until the shop opens. The job that Stein grew accustomed to. The next hours were tiring since there were plenty of customers and work to attend to.

Another busy day drained Stein's energy for today.

-Mersheim City- 

-Brandice Residence- 

-Night-

"Welcome back!" Mieschel greeted Stein with a smile as soon as he opened the door. Seeing her smiles always gives Stein energy after a long day's work. Stein slumped in their used sofa. It wasn't really that soft now that it has been used for a long time but Stein still enjoyed its company and the relaxing feeling that it offers.

"Here." Stein called Mieschel and handed the basket over to her.

"Whoa! Did you get these fruits?" Mieschel was astonished when she scanned the basket as she sat beside Stein.

"Nah...A friend gave it to me this morning." Stein then stood up and went upstairs towards his room. He wanted to eat those fruits but he just chose to share it to his family since those fruits are a little expensive and there wasn't always a chance to eat some in regular days. Stein could always ask for the quills to get some fruits for him and earn money by selling them, but he didn't. They were also his friends and he doesn't want to abuse their kindness.

While waiting for dinner, Stein decided to go to his room. He opened the room's light and propped himself into his bed. He inserted his hand on his vest's pocket. He felt something cold as his hand brushed against the metal amulet that the old man, who claimed to be a friend of his parents, gave earlier. He held it in his palm as he lie down on his bed. It was a a small, silver cross engraved with different designs.

The old man's words echoed on his head as he stared at it.

"Think of it as a lucky charm and my gift to you since today is another special day isn't it? Be careful."

"I wonder some people acts weird towards me today." Stein was lost in thought on why Fleia's and the old man's words sounds like it conveyed messages that he is not aware of. He was still thinking about some other things but his were growing heavier with each second. His mind was getting fuzzy and it the forced him to decided to give in. Within seconds, he his eyes closed and Stein drifted off to sleep.  

*** 

He was soon welcomed with a dream.

He was in a the forest where he always goes to, Seridan Forest.

"My destiny? What do you mean?" There he saw a young version of himself talking to the quills.

"It will all make sense when you turn 17."

"But that's still years away!" The little Stein words were directed to the quill who was nearest to him.

"Learn to be patient. Everything will be clearer after your long wait."

His dream then shifted to a strange dream. Though this is still a dream, somehow, it felt real.

He now found himself standing alone in the middle of the forest that is new to his eyes. It was a little foggy and it was giving him a hard time on analyzing his surroundings.

"I finally managed to contact you in your dreams..." Stein was quite surprised with the voice of a woman that spoke to him. He looked around, hoping to find the person where the voice came from.

A woman then showed herself as she walked from behind the trees towards him. She was very familiar to him.

"Nice to meet you Stein. She looks about the same age as Stein. Her hair color was white as snow and was also dressed in white that almost blends with the fog. She possesses white skin color and silver grey eyes. This is the first time that they were able to see and talk to each other after those long years of being stalked by her.

Although Stein has many questions running on his mind, he only managed to asked the top question on his list. "Who are you?"

"I..." She paused and hesitation can is evident on her eyes. She was avoiding to say something to him. "You have other things to take care of now rather than knowing my name, but I swear to you that I am not one of your enemies."

As she said the last word, the surroundings slowly changed. From a foggy forest, he was now on a ruins filled with ivys. Stein and the woman was standing in a glass like platform that helps in spreading the blue light that was being emitted by the torches with blue flames. A little fog was still creeping on the floor. The woman in white then pointed her finger towards the place on Stein back. Stein followed it and it led his eyes to a small altar made with ivys. What really caught Stein's eyes was the woman in the middle. She looks like she was at the same age as the woman in white. She has a long sky blue hair that matches the color of the surroundings. She was wearing a simple sky blue dress that suits her. She was lying on a bed of flowers under the dome of ivys and diamonds. Stein founds her beautiful and is like a sleeping angel.

As Stein wonders if she is really just sleeping or dead, the woman in white's voice turned his attention back at her.

Now that you are in the right age, from here on, you can finally be her protector. I'll entrust her to you. Your fates are entertwined with each other so take care of her...Till we meet again..."

"Wait!" Stein's pleads for her not to go was in vain. She slowly disappeared together with the surroundings.

"Who..." Stein blinked several times to clear his blurry vision. His room was now dark and he was covered with a blanket.

"I must have forgotten to lock the door." He thought that they must have looked for him during dinner but found him asleep so they just let him continue resting.

Stein's sleep vanished when the flashbacks of his dream was revived in his memories. He decided to get some fresh air so he went to the window of his room. The chilly night breeze brushed against his face as he took a peek outside. The moon was hanging on the black night sky and was accompanied with bright stars.

"Hm?" A small orb of light caught his attention.

"A quill...what is it doing here?"



© 2012 Nichole Angela


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
Added on September 16, 2012
Last Updated on September 16, 2012


Author

Nichole Angela
Nichole Angela

Philippines



About
I just want to share what's on my mind more..

Writing