Conditional Kindness

Conditional Kindness

A Chapter by Raef C. Boylan

I aim to befriend a lonely child;

the kind who spends their playtimes

staring at brick walls.

 

I know what it is

to be pushed down

for daring to stand up.

 

My potential prodigy,

crying out for recognition

on the sidelines of the football pitch,

needing only to be nurtured.

 

But they’re all so wary; some lacking gratitude,

throwing stones

or dirty looks;

 

some mistaking my extended

hand of friendship

for a detonated bomb.

 



© 2008 Raef C. Boylan


Author's Note

Raef C. Boylan
Let me know what you think of this. Thanks.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think we were all the lonely child. Be-friended or not we ended up here. There are lots of us lurking in the corners of the world. Staring at brick walls. Learning kindness is tricky business. From both sides of the offered hand.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I too tend to side with the underdog. I think that's a leo thing; you're not a loe are you? I cannot stop going on crusades whatever the cause.
When I read this I remembered Junior High. Yes, Junior high, what a terrible thing to do to children. How i managed to get out alive, I do not know. What helped, I think, was when I desided, to keep from getting beat-up after school, I would have to become wierd: get into drama, catch the public eye (I've never been a ball player) and make people laugh: fall down a lot, things like that. Well...enough about me.
This is a jewell of a writing, I know, because it makes me know, feel, remember. Plus, now I want go gather up all lonely kids in town and take them for icecream.


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

the perfectly miserable childhood. it's the one we all had, at some point, yes?
which hurts more?
to be staring at the wall?
or rejected by the one staring at the wall?

thank you for such a well thought poem.

cheers.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I am glad I finally got myself in gear and came over to your page to read your work. My main editing suggestion with this piece is to change the description -- the description lacks the subtlety that is present within the poem. it is true that as a male in this day and age one has to take into consideration a lot more things than they might have had to do in what we laughingly think of as more innocent times. you capture emotional truths that deal with both being a child and a man in a way that is understated and more powerful because of it. people often make the mistake of writing poems about subjects such as this in big bold letters which make everyone feel like they are having a message shoved down their throats, and non one likes to be preached at too much. you totally avoid didacticism and deliver a very interesting and compelling look at a subject it can be hard to handle.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Super piece here! It's so true, there are so many children who are in dire need of love and attention as they do not receive it from their parents or their peers. And you want to share your kindness with them, but the world has already ruined them with it's teachings of all strangers are bad news. It's really a catch 22 situation and I related to this poem very much.
Excellent point and poem :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a very clever piece.......about someone who see's a child needs nuturing
but dare not for fear of being labelled, and I am sure this is a common fear among
many.......and not nice to have to view yourself as an unexploded bomb!
Loved the wording........very clever.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

513 Views
6 Reviews
Added on February 6, 2008
Last Updated on April 12, 2008

W.N.I.S [to be published, hopefully]


Author

Raef C. Boylan
Raef C. Boylan

Coventry, UK, United Kingdom



About
Hey there. RAEF C. BOYLAN Where Nothing is Sacred: Volume One www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/where-nothing-is-sacred-volume-i/1637740 I can also .. more..

Writing
Shrubs Shrubs

A Story by Raef C. Boylan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..