4. Found Object

4. Found Object

A Chapter by Craig2591
"

Ian and Chrissy are curious about a mysterious memory card that has come into their possession.

"

Ian sat back in his recliner and opened his laptop. The dinner dishes were done, Emily was in bed and Chrissy was taking a shower. Time for a little relaxation. Presently, Chrissy came out to the living room in her robe. She held a memory card out toward him. “Is this yours?” she asked.


He glanced at it momentarily and went back to his computer. “Nope. I use flash drives. Isn't that the kind you use in your camera?”


“Yeah, but it's not mine. It has some kind of funny writing on the label.”


“Maybe it's Emily's. A homework assignment or something.”


“I asked her. She said she's never seen it before.”


He looked up at her. “Where did you find it?”


“In my pocket,” she replied, “When we were at the beach yesterday.”


“And you've never seen it before?” he asked, furrowing his brow.


She shook her head. “I suppose I should plug it into my computer and see what's on it,” she said.


“Are you sure you want to do that? It might have a virus or something.”


She looked thoughtful. “Hmm... good point. Let's use your computer.”


Hey!!” he exclaimed as she grabbed his computer and hurried into the kitchen with it. By the time he got up and followed her she had already inserted it into a slot and clicked on it.


“What the hell is that?!” he asked looking over her shoulder. On the display they saw columns of what appeared to be random numerals and letters arranged in orderly groups of five. It looked like gibberish to them.


She shrugged. “I have no idea.”


“You work for a software company,” he said, “Is that some sort of programming code?”


“I'm not a programmer, but I've seen the engineers work and this doesn't look like anything they do. For one thing, every programming language has at least a few words you can recognize. And they're never this orderly.” She shook her head. “This feels creepy, Ian. It almost looks like a secret code of some kind.”


“I'd laugh at you if I didn't feel the same way,” he replied, “And you have no idea where it came from?”


“No. I found it in my pocket.”


“Maybe you accidentally picked it up at work. Maybe it belongs to someone there.”


“I'm positive I didn't. But, I'll ask around tomorrow. Maybe one of the engineers will know what it is.”


“I'll bet it belongs to someone there,” he said with a reassuring smile, “Where else could it possibly have come from?”



© 2013 Craig2591


Author's Note

Craig2591
Not much to this chapter. Just setting things up for the real excitement.

Suggestions and constructive criticisms are always welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"Found Object" is such a deceivingly mundane title. To anyone whose been reading it is very exciting that we are going to find out more about the memory card, but to a bystander the words are ordinary.

I like that you threw in some personality for these characters, like how she steals his laptop.

I'm impressed by how you described the code. That was a danger area for ambiguity and rambling, but you provided just enough detail to be intriguing and clear.

I'm enjoying the mini-zingers you end your chapters with.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

9 Years Ago

I'm glad it is all making sense so far. I was worried I might not be clear what was happening.



Reviews

"Found Object" is such a deceivingly mundane title. To anyone whose been reading it is very exciting that we are going to find out more about the memory card, but to a bystander the words are ordinary.

I like that you threw in some personality for these characters, like how she steals his laptop.

I'm impressed by how you described the code. That was a danger area for ambiguity and rambling, but you provided just enough detail to be intriguing and clear.

I'm enjoying the mini-zingers you end your chapters with.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

9 Years Ago

I'm glad it is all making sense so far. I was worried I might not be clear what was happening.
I absolutely love how you manifest the confusion, curiosity and slight nervousness of the characters as though they have subconscious feeling.their lives are about to get very interesting indeed. I found myself thinking "oh man if you only knew the trouble that card is going to cause you if as I suspect that is what our dear antagonist wants" as I read. Homework. Oh boy. And little do they know they are about to play the bad ideas game...

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

9 Years Ago

Thank you. I'm glad you are enjoying it.
I really like the curiosity and intrigue in this chapter, and using the card in Ian's computer. I also like the implication that Chrissy's going to show her entire office secret, sought-after files.

“I suppose I should plug it into my computer and see what's on it,” This sentence felt weird to me, thinking of it as speech. I don't think the "plug it into my computer and" is necessary. Only complaint - otherwise this is my favorite so far.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It's a good lead in for what you have coming. As you can tell, I have no doubt the next chapter or two will be exciting! Looking forward to reading!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Tina. Actually, the next couple of chapters will still be setting things up. But I prom.. read more
Now you have my interests highly peaked! I am so excited to see how it all ties in even farther! I am even more curious to see what happens when he takes it to work to analyze. Will it send out a signal, crash the company? The possibilities are endless!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Thanks. Yes, the possibilities in this story are endless. I'm having a lot of fun writing it.
Can't wait for the next chapter. As always, love the dialogue and interaction between Chrissy and Ian. They work so well off each other.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

402 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 20, 2013
Last Updated on June 20, 2013
Tags: intrigue, mystery, spies, adventure


Author

Craig2591
Craig2591

OH



About
I am a visual artist with no formal training in creative writing. I get stories knocking around my head and sometimes I write them down. I decided to join this site to share them with other writers .. more..

Writing
Challenges Challenges

A Story by Craig2591