19. Negotiations

19. Negotiations

A Chapter by Craig2591
"

Chrissy is involved in the toughest negotiation of her life.

"

Chrissy sat in the front seat of Jonathon's parked car while Stefanie and Becka sat in the back. Chrissy didn't like having the two young women behind her, but she didn't have much choice. She needed their help and therefore needed to trust them.


“Can I have my gun back?” asked Becka.


“No.”


Jonathon spoke. “It's very important that you don't make any deals with them until they prove to you that Emily is okay.” His face grew grim. “These guys are real b******s, Chrissy,” he continued, “You have to prepare yourself for the possibility that Emily may already be dead.”


She closed her eyes and nodded. “I know,” she muttered quietly.


“Now, they think that they're in control because they have her, but that's not true. They want that memory card just as badly as you want Emily back. They'll do anything to get it, and you can use that. You have equal negotiating power as long as you can remain emotionally detached. I know that will be difficult because she's your daughter and they're counting on that. You have to be strong!”


Chrissy's phone chirped. She picked it up. “Yeah?... Yeah... How bad is it?... Good, that's not as bad as I thought... Those goddamn Serbs have her!... No, I haven't heard from them, yet... Don't worry, I'll get her back! I - I have help... Never mind who! You just worry about yourself! I'm handling this! It's gonna be okay.” She disconnected. “That was Ian,” she said without emotion.


“He's alive?!”


“Yeah, he's in an ambulance. He was shot in the shoulder. He sounded pretty loopy. I think he lost a lot of blood, but others are helping him now. I need to worry about Emily.”


“I'm glad he's not dead,” replied Jonathon, “I like him.” Then he grew thoughtful. “The shoulder, huh? I think that guy meant to shoot him in the chest, but Ian instinctively turned and caught the bullet in the shoulder instead. I see their strategy. Get rid of the man and then they deal with a flighty, emotional woman.” Chrissy raised an eyebrow at him. “They're sexist,” he explained, “In my opinion, they shot the wrong parent.”


“Thanks a lot!”


He smiled. “That was meant as a compliment.”


Her phone chirped again. Jonathon put his hand on hers before she could answer it and said, “Put it on speaker.” Then he motioned to Stefanie and Becka to be quiet.


“Yeah?” Chrissy answered.


A man with a heavy Eastern European accent spoke, “You have the card?”


“Let me speak to Emily.”


“Do you have the card?!” He enunciated each syllable slowly and clearly.


“Let me speak to Emily.”


Answer me, b***h!!


Chrissy disconnected. Jonathon gave her an appraising look. “That was ballsy!”


The phone chirped again. Chrissy answered. “Yeah?”


“Chrissy?” It was Emily's voice.


“Emily?! Are you okay?!”


“Yeah, but I'm scared.” Chrissy could tell she was on the verge of tears.


The man's voice came on the line again. “You have the card?”


“Yes, I have the card.”


“Good! Bring it to the old box factory on Route 54. Come in the door on the East side. We will make the exchange there.”


Chrissy spent her teen years in that part of the city and knew the area. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Jonathon trying to get her attention. She ignored him. “No,” she answered.


No?!


“There's a big parking lot in the back. Be standing in the middle of that parking lot alone with Emily. Just you and Emily and no cars nearby. I will approach on foot and we will make the exchange.”


“Listen, b***h! You will do as I say or I will kill the child!”


“And I'll send you a video of me smashing the card with a hammer.” Her voice was absolutely calm. “Be standing in the middle of that parking lot when I get there or I'll turn around and leave.”


There were several seconds of silence. Finally his voice came over the line again. It was steady but seething with rage. “You will come alone!!”


“Okay.”


“And unarmed!!”


“Okay.”


He disconnected. Chrissy closed her eyes and breathed out. Her hands were shaking. Jonathon looked at her wide eyed. “Are you sure you don't want to come and work for me?!” he asked.


Becka leaned forward and said, “Jon, make her give me my gun back!”



© 2013 Craig2591


Author's Note

Craig2591
Suggestions and constructive criticisms are always welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It might not have made itself apparent yet, but how is Jonathon going to collect from Chrissy once this is over? He said last chapter that helping her is a service he provides; I'm hoping that comes back to bite her.

I like how the Serbians are portrayed. Your exclamation points work well making them look super-aggressive and impatient. I think it might be a little too convenient that Chrissy knows the layout of the area they're in, but I can see her refusing to meet inside a building that would be native ground to them.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Still enjoying that Becka wants her gun back.
"shot the wrong parent" and Jonathan's repeated offer are what makes this a fun read.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

9 Years Ago

Yeah, even in such a dramatic situation I like to put a touch of comedy. Thanks.
Go Chrissy! She is amazing at keeping her cool in a terrifying situation! And had to laugh twice. First, with Jonathan's backhanded compliment. Again, when Becka whined about her gun. she sounded amusingly childlike there

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

9 Years Ago

Exactly the way I was trying to portray it. Thank you.
A very enjoyable chapter. I'm wondering how this is all going to work. Chrissy doesn't have the card. How is Jonathan going to help her get Emily. Maybe Chrissy will have to work for him for a while to pay off that bill. The answers lie ahead!!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reviewing.
It might not have made itself apparent yet, but how is Jonathon going to collect from Chrissy once this is over? He said last chapter that helping her is a service he provides; I'm hoping that comes back to bite her.

I like how the Serbians are portrayed. Your exclamation points work well making them look super-aggressive and impatient. I think it might be a little too convenient that Chrissy knows the layout of the area they're in, but I can see her refusing to meet inside a building that would be native ground to them.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

571 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 23, 2013
Last Updated on July 23, 2013
Tags: intrigue, adventure, danger, spies, undercover


Author

Craig2591
Craig2591

OH



About
I am a visual artist with no formal training in creative writing. I get stories knocking around my head and sometimes I write them down. I decided to join this site to share them with other writers .. more..

Writing
Challenges Challenges

A Story by Craig2591