8. The Search Continues

8. The Search Continues

A Chapter by Craig2591
"

A thorough search for the card by Becka yields no results. But she may have found something else.

"

Becka took one more look around Ian's and Chrissy's apartment to make sure she hadn't missed anything. She hadn't. Jonathon taught her how to search a place. He taught her how almost everyone hid their valuables in the same places. He also taught her how to search a place in such a way that no one could tell it had been searched. It didn't need to be ransacked the way common criminals did it, or the cops for that matter. Amateurs!


The lock on the back door had been child's play to pick. Jonathon had taught her that skill, too. He had taught her many things since he had hired her. And she had been an avid pupil. She didn't want to disappoint him. She adored him. Not in a romantic or sexual way. He was the father that she'd never had. He was the first person in her entire life to believe that she could ever be anything more than a crack w***e.


He pulled her off the streets of Cleveland and gave her a few odd jobs to do. Strange jobs! But he paid her well. One evening he took her to the hotel bar where he was staying and bought her a drink. She thought she knew what he wanted next. She didn't mind. He paid her well for the other jobs, he would probably pay her well for that, too. But he grew angry with her when he realized what she was thinking.


He told her that he was leaving the next day. Then he offered her permanent employment. He described what kind of work he did. It was full of adventure, travel, excitement... and danger. But before she could answer 'yes', he leaned in close and said in a low voice, “Before you decide, Becka, I want you to understand something. The day you start working for me is the day you stop taking drugs.” There was something in his voice that gave her a chill. He leaned back and smiled. “Think about it overnight. Be in the hotel lobby at 9am if your answer is yes.”


She was there at 8:30.


The results of her search were three memory cards. She doubted any of them were the one they were looking for. But she took them just to be sure. Before she left she went to the front window and peered out through the blinds. She saw Stefanie sitting in the car keeping a lookout and waiting for her. She also saw something that gave her a feeling of disquiet. There were plenty of cars in the apartment complex parking lot. But one of them caught her attention. She didn't know why. She just had a feeling about it. A hunch.


She left through the back door and came around to the front. She got into the car with Stefanie.


“Well?” asked Stefanie, “Any luck?”


“I found three cards, but I'm sure it's not one of them.”


“Damn!” replied Stefanie, “I wonder what the next step is.” She started the car and backed out of the parking space.


“When you get out onto the street, go around the block once,” said Becka.


“Something wrong?”


“It's probably nothing, but I saw something that gave me a feeling,” answered Becka, “A hunch.”


Stefanie nodded. Jonathon had always told them not to ignore their hunches. While she drove, Becka reached into the back seat and got the camera out of its bag along with the telephoto lens.


“Pull over here,” she said.


Stefanie pulled to the side of the road and Becka got out. She walked to some bushes at the end of the parking lot and carefully poked the camera through. She took several shots and then moved farther along and took some more shots at a different angle.


“What did you see?” asked Stefanie as Becka got back into the car.


“A creepy looking guy sitting in a car in the parking lot. Just sitting there. It's probably just some pervert watching the kids play, but I wanted to make sure. Let's head back and see what Jonathon wants to do next.”



© 2013 Craig2591


Author's Note

Craig2591
Suggestions and constructive criticisms are always welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great dialogue on Jonathan's part in the flashback.
I'm intrigued as to why he chose her considering her background, or because of her background.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

9 Years Ago

Another commenter wondered the same thing about Jonathon's choice of hiring Becka. But I always fig.. read more
Becka, you are one fascinating woman. Why do I suddenly imagine she and Chrissy would mesh well if they met under the right circumstances?

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

9 Years Ago

I don't want to give any spoilers, but...
Good chapter. Becka has a lot in common with Chrissy.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like the clarification and background on Becka's relationship with Jon, though I am confused why he picked up a crackwhore to do spy work for him.

Looking forward to the next chapter!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

He recognized that since she was at rock bottom in her life, he could remold her and train her to be.. read more
Excellent chapter! More, more!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

465 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 6, 2013
Last Updated on July 6, 2013
Tags: intrigue, adventure, danger, spies, undercover


Author

Craig2591
Craig2591

OH



About
I am a visual artist with no formal training in creative writing. I get stories knocking around my head and sometimes I write them down. I decided to join this site to share them with other writers .. more..

Writing
Challenges Challenges

A Story by Craig2591