25. Oatmeal Cookies

25. Oatmeal Cookies

A Chapter by Craig2591
"

Chrissy finally finds out what's on the memory card that caused so much uproar.

"

All Chrissy would tell the police when she arrived at the hospital was where they could pick up the Branković brothers and why they should be arrested. Then she clammed up and remained silent for the next two hours until her husband emerged from surgery and the doctors assured her that he was going to be okay and probably make a full recovery.


After that she sat down at a table with several men and women who all flashed various badges and ID cards at her and told them the whole story from start to finish. There were several times when they exchanged skeptical glances with each other as she related all the events that had happened, but she didn't care. She knew that once the evidence was collected - ballistic reports, witness statements, security cam images, cell phone records, etc - that it would all corroborate her story and they would have no choice but to believe everything she told them. She gave them vague, generic descriptions of Jonathon, Stefanie and Becka.


Emily sat nearby and watched a movie on someone's laptop. Chrissy steadfastly refused to allow them to question her until at least the next day so that she could have a chance to calm down and recover.


At 11pm she stood up and said, “Enough! I'm taking my daughter and going home for some badly needed peace and quiet. If you have anymore questions, you know where to find me. Call first!”


When they got back to the apartment, Chrissy locked the door behind her and she and Emily latched onto each other and held one another for the next half hour. Whenever it began to dawn on her just how close she had come to losing her husband and daughter she quickly pushed it out of her head. She knew that she would have to deal with those thoughts sooner or later, but... not yet... just not yet.


She finally said to Emily, “Go get into your PJs and I'll go to the kitchen and fix us a snack. You'll sleep with me tonight.” As Chrissy headed for the kitchen, her phone chirped. She didn't recognize the number but worried that it might be the hospital so she answered it. “Yeah?”


Hello, Chrissy.”


Jonathon!”


I called to see how Ian is doing.”


He'll be okay,” she answered, “The doctors say he should make a full recovery.”


Good! I was worried. How's your friend?


Benjamin? He's okay. He won't stop talking about it. He thinks getting shot in the a*s by a Serbian spy is the greatest thing to ever happen to him. He's already connected you guys to three of his conspiracy theories.”


Jonathon chuckled, then his voice grew serious. “How's Emily?”


Chrissy sighed. “She's okay so far. I imagine she'll be having nightmares for a while”


She will,” he responded, “So will you. But you'll get through it. I can tell.”


So... are you ever going to tell me what was on that goddamn card?”


There was silence on the other end for several seconds. He finally said, “I suppose I can tell you now that the card is safe and heading back to its rightful owner. Besides, no one will believe you if you repeat it. It's a recipe for oatmeal cookies.”


Very funny, Jonathon. If you don't want to tell me, then don't!”


I'm not kidding, Chrissy. Have you ever heard of Nana Scot's Famous Oatmeal Cookies?”


Of course. Who hasn't. Those things are to die for.” Her eyes suddenly grew wide as it dawned on her. “You mean it's the secret recipe for Nana Scot's Famous Oatmeal Cookies?!”


Yup. It was stolen from their corporate headquarters and I was hired to get it back using any means necessary.”


You're telling me that my husband was shot and daughter kidnapped for a cookie recipe?!!” she practically hollered into the phone.


Think about it, Chrissy. How much do you think that recipe's worth to the right buyer?”


I don't know. A million bucks maybe?”


Try ten or twenty million,” he answered.


Seriously?!”


Or more! People have killed for a lot less money than that.”


So, that grey haired little old lady hired you?” Chrissy had an image in her head of Nana Scot in her shawl handing Jonathon a briefcase full of money in a darkened ally.


She's just a spokesperson, Chrissy. I was contacted by one of the corporate brass. Of course, my client and I will deny it.”


Of course. Well, you're right about one thing. No one will believe me if I tell them. Even Benjamin.”


Jonathon chuckled. "Before I sign off, I have a favor to ask.”


Favor? What kind of favor?” she asked suspiciously.


I want you to hold onto something for me and keep it safe. Something important.”


Are you out of your mind?!” she responded angrily, “Not on your life, Jonathon!”


Too late,” he replied, “I've already dropped it off. It's on your back patio.”


She rushed to the back door a flung it open. Even in the dark and under a tarp she could recognize it. “The Triumph,” she replied.


I hope you don't mind. I couldn't very well take it on the plane with me. It's only for a month or two.”


Well... it doesn't have micro film or anything stashed in it, does it?”


Jonathon laughed. “No, Chrissy. I promise. It's just a motorcycle.”


You realize I can't watch this thing for you without taking it for a spin, don't you?”


I know. Just leave some gas in it for me.”


There was a long, awkward pause. Finally Jonathon said, “Jusqu'à ce que nous nous reverrons mon petite fleur.”


She smiled. “Adieu, Jonathon.”


She disconnected.





© 2013 Craig2591


Author's Note

Craig2591
The end.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Was having a boring day at college and I don't know how I landed here. I've read the whole book and I should say it's a day spent very well. I've loved the story. I only have one suggestion though. You could have developed the characters of Stef, Becka and Jonathon gradually as the story progressed. The paranoid schizophrenia part, in my opinion, should have been used somewhere because I think it's got some potential to it. Overall it was a good read and thank you for making my day.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much. You've made my day, too.



Reviews

Was having a boring day at college and I don't know how I landed here. I've read the whole book and I should say it's a day spent very well. I've loved the story. I only have one suggestion though. You could have developed the characters of Stef, Becka and Jonathon gradually as the story progressed. The paranoid schizophrenia part, in my opinion, should have been used somewhere because I think it's got some potential to it. Overall it was a good read and thank you for making my day.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much. You've made my day, too.
Yay. Happy ending :D
I liked the French.
I liked the characters.
I like the balance of humor and anxiety.

It was an enjoyable read. I'm glad that I made the time for it :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

9 Years Ago

Glad you enjoyed it. Thank you.
Oh! My! Gosh! well, it was definitely trivial enough to make me laugh, though cannot deny that is an extremely large amount of money- I'd retire as a 20-something with that sort of windfall! Definitely liked this and intend to read much of your other stuff!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much. I actually had no idea what was on the card through most of the story and cons.. read more
Fantastic story. It's true, some cookies are to die for!! I kinda hated to see it end. I hope there is more of Chrissy, Ian and Emily stories floating around in your mind waiting to be written and shared!!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

I hope so, too. Thanks.
Nice ending! It's funny, all this fuss and danger for something so seemingly frivolous . But I can see this happening in real life. (Money, Money, Money) Riveting story from beginning to end. I'd love to see a sequel as well.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much.
I like it! Not very much Ian by the end of it, but he's older and recovering. I do wish there was another visit from Ben too. The twist of what's on the card was pretty good, I like imaging the surly Serbs knowing what's on the card and getting excited over it. Good work.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

I'm definitely thinking about doing another one, but stories like this with all the plot twists and .. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
K.
No. It's not over. It can't be! Please, please, please write more! It was amazing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your enthusiasm with this. I won't be doing any writing for the next couple.. read more
K.

10 Years Ago

No more writing?!?!?!?!?! What???

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

552 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 27, 2013
Last Updated on August 11, 2013
Tags: intrigue, adventure, danger, spies, undercover


Author

Craig2591
Craig2591

OH



About
I am a visual artist with no formal training in creative writing. I get stories knocking around my head and sometimes I write them down. I decided to join this site to share them with other writers .. more..

Writing
Challenges Challenges

A Story by Craig2591



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Lovesick Lovesick

A Story by Philip Muls


10. Depression 10. Depression

A Chapter by Craig2591