Station Break

Station Break

A Chapter by George Love
"

Helen takes a break after her radio show

"

 

Station Break
 
 
 
“Great show today, Helen” Marco said. “You might want to watch the references to bake sales and pro teams though. You really lit up the switchboard with that one comment.”
            “I speak my mind and my listeners react. Isn’t that why I’m the talent and you’re the producer?”
            “Well, from the response, you have a twenty share of the radio public this afternoon. That’s up from your steady fifteen from the past three months.”
            “A jump of five in one week?” Helen asked. “Maybe those billboards are showing too much of me!”
            Her comment was almost a criticism of the billboard shot of Helen at her radio console with a very low cut blouse. It was Marco’s idea to have more cleavage painted into the picture. Helen did not like the fake display, but the headshot was great. She did not look like the 37-year-old mother of two, but more like a 26-year-old swinging single. Helen never really showed her age, and even with her husband present, she was frequently carded to prove she was indeed old enough to have her glass of wine with dinner.
            “Helen if it would get the ratings higher, I’d have you up there in a thong!!”
            “Not in this lifetime!” 
            “Not even if I begged?”
            “Especially not if you begged. I do have some dignity and decency about me.”
            “Well, I’ll give you that, so how about dinner before the news show?”
            “You know I have the Opera Society meeting in less than half an hour.” Helen was actually hoping they would cancel the meeting today so she could get back to the house, but luck was against her.
            “Well, how about after the meeting? You have to eat something at some point and   I know a couple of great spots.”    “Actually, I have to do some more research on the Alamo bit before the evening news show. I’m going to order in at the office. By the way, producer man, when are we going to finally hire a new weekend anchor? These 7 day weeks are beginning to get old.”
            “It should be pretty soon. We need another 3-4 points so advertising can raise the extra funds. We’re almost there, but weekend anchors do tend to want to go to weeknights after a short while and most of the cute little blondes get great weekend ratings. That turns the front office heads. You really should consider a shorter hairstyle, and maybe going blonde. That would increase your share at least five points.”
            “This is my trademark!” Helen protested. “I’m well known for this jet black hair blowing in the breeze as I do my location promos. When I first started here, I was known as the girl with the hair for months.”


 


© 2008 George Love


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

216 Views
Added on February 12, 2008


Author

George Love
George Love

Murfreesboro, TN



About
I am a retired Paramedic with over 20 years of Emergency Medical Services experience. While attending Middle Tennessee State University and Volunteer State College, I majored in Music, English, Preme.. more..

Writing
Power Power

A Poem by George Love