Work

Work

A Chapter by George Love
"

Kevin Returns to work

"

 

Work
 
 
 
Kevin returned to work the next day after seeing the girls safely onto the school bus. Helen was still sleeping when he left, but he did leave her a wake up call before he left the house.
Reggie was busily cleaning a new ambulance. Kevin was beginning to think he was dreaming again. A touch of the cold metal removed that idea quickly. This was a big unit, not a van type. It was a full sized modular unit and it was loaded for bear.
“Wow!” was all Kevin could manage. “Where did this come from?”
“It’s the wave of the future according to Mike” Reggie drawled. “He got them to buy this one as a test unit. You know how he hates working on these vans. He convinced them the maintenance was higher and the rest, well, you see it.”
“11A-1? You didn’t waste any time snapping this one up did ya?”
“Only the best for you boss!”  
Kevin inspected the ambulance and was pleased to see it was almost an exact match for the Mobile Intensive Care Unit he tried to talk the owners into buying last year. 
“She checks out 100%. Let’s keep her that way.”
The rest of Kevin’s shift was spent doing PR work with the new ambulance unit. Contracts with the hospitals, clinics cities and counties were all up for renegotiation and keeping up good Public Relations was the key to keeping those contracts.
In between the PR stops, Kevin made one call he never thought he would make. He called his father to ask a favor. The ever stock savvy elder Wright was always looking for a deal in stocks and had an eye for a stock that was on the way up or about to crash. Kevin wanted to take advantage of his expertise and try to buy Marco out of the radio station which produced Helen’s syndicated show.
“My boy” he said. “Let’s go that one a step further. I’ll buy all the stock and put it in the girls’ names. How’s that for a kick in the a*s for that SOB!”
“Anything you want Dad. Just have fun doing it.”




© 2008 George Love


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

234 Views
Added on February 12, 2008


Author

George Love
George Love

Murfreesboro, TN



About
I am a retired Paramedic with over 20 years of Emergency Medical Services experience. While attending Middle Tennessee State University and Volunteer State College, I majored in Music, English, Preme.. more..

Writing
Power Power

A Poem by George Love