Nighttime Drive

Nighttime Drive

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

Amala reflects on her life as she drives the coach by night.

"

2.

Nighttime Drive


 

The route through the four lakes district did not have any stage stops, but they never switched out their four horses at the stops anyway, as they were nearly always fit and able to press on. So they decided to ride on through the evening to make the stage station in Southgate after the long ride through the Elotrush Mountains

 

By then the Prince’s horsemen would be long ahead of them, probably drinking heavily in one of the many taverns between Aegoppa and Southgate.   For a time, Jevon, Tadd and Rick rode with her, but weariness began to take them and she finally stopped and ordered them to get in the coach and get some sleep.  

“Are you sure you don’t need some company?”  Jevon had asked her with a yawn, but she’d assured him that she didn’t, and it was true, for she actually loved the times she drove the coach at night, alone with the horses and the stars.  

 

The horses in the team were descendants of two pairs of Elven horses, sent to her parents by Queen Eioldth’s parents years ago and now part of a large stable full of the beautiful animals.   She loved them dearly, for they were intelligent, powerful and all had incredible night vision.   

 

Amala could see as clearly as the horses could - her dark Elven vision gave her the same range of vision at night that a surface Elf would have during the day.   Not that there was much to see or really anything dangerous in the vicinity.   The Orcs and other Goblinoid tribes of the Elotrush region had dwelt in peace since before the time of her birth, thanks to the efforts of King Haroldris.  

 

She wondered for the hundredth time about her parents; there had been considerable friction between them and her since she had entered adolescence, but she still dearly loved them and her siblings.  

 

Being the middle child - and especially after Leah died 20 years ago, along with the Princess-  meant that her parents were strained to treat each of their children as individuals instead of just ‘the children’.  

 

Sirya was the oldest now, Aranthi was next, and both were perfect lovely daughters of the rulers of Westmark.   It was Sirya, who took care of her younger siblings with wisdom past her years, while Aranthi was the gracefully beautiful young woman sought by numerous young men.  

Then, there were her younger siblings. There was Snoe, an albino that possessed a mysterious charisma about her even in her shyness.  

 

Next was her only brother, Gamel, named in honor of her mother’s adopted human father and very much the apple of his father’s eyes.   Last came the baby, little Aidan, still an infant with her large, pretty, fiery orange-red eyes.

 

There she was, in the middle of these children, not all prim and proper like Sirya and Aranthi, or shy and exotic looking like Snoe.   In some ways she was most like her brother, but her father never noticed that, as he was too busy training his son to be a knight some day.  

 

As for her mother, her horrible grief over losing Leah made her dote on Aidan since her birth 19 years after her sister’s death.   So Amala found herself struggling alone through the final years of the awkward stage between childhood and adulthood.   At least she felt like she was alone.  

 

She hadn’t asked her parents if she could serve as a coachman on the stages travelling from Westmark to the various towns around Northmarch.  Of course it had led to a heated argument that now, six months later, still caused a great deal of friction between them.  

 

They were protective of all of their remaining children, and she was outside of their protective sphere as she rode on the coaches across the kingdom. 

 

She hated hurting them with worry, but there was no other way that she could live in that environment every day.  She had found her place along side her three travelling companions.  

 

They accepted her as a young woman who possessed great skills with swords and as a member of their coach team.   Not because she was the Duke and Duchess’ daughter or because they thought she was a pretty Drow girl.   Instead it was due to who she was as an individual, as well as her swordsmanship.  

 

She had been taught incredibly well, and she alone of her older sisters had practiced daily, hungry to sharpen her skills.   She knew her skill had greatly surprised her father, especially after she began to repeatedly disarm him during their practice matches.  

 

But though he was very pleased and seemed proud of her skill with her two sword style, he had just finally told her he’d shown her all he knew, and the following day began training Gamel.   That had really hurt her, for it was as if he’d simply stopped wanting to see her improve.   Just when she had felt that she had found a way to bond with her father. 

 

Still, he had commissioned a pair of enchanted, lightweight mithril broadswords that he had presented to her not long after she had announced her intention to work as a guard coachman. 

 

Her mother had even given her the hooded Elven cloak that she now wore, along with a pair of full leg length Elven boots.   These boots had been taken off Elven prisoners from those who had attacked Westmark twenty summers ago, and were very suitable for riding.   Her parents wanted her safe, and the enchanted swords, magic cloak and boots helped them accept her decision.

 

Yet she’d not stopped practicing zealously every day with her twin broadswords and her mastery of the sword greatly helped her secure her position as a coachman.   Thankfully, in the eight months she had ridden as a guard, she’d not had to draw her swords.  

 



© 2014 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Another lovely chapter. I am eager to see where this story goes.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Eddie Davis

10 Years Ago

Thank you, I hope you will enjoy it.
This chapter ---

seems an introduction ---
as how she become who she is...
the other characters --- her immediate family...
and brings things together with her companions...
as she rides along the dark trail...
reminiscence of the past...


Posted 10 Years Ago


Eddie Davis

10 Years Ago

Thanks, you summarize so well and poetically, it is quite impressive.
Glen Yumang Manese

10 Years Ago

you're welcome...good to read your work...

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

285 Views
2 Reviews
Added on March 2, 2014
Last Updated on April 24, 2014
Tags: Drow, Elf, Fantasy, Adventure, Marksylvania, swords and sorcery

Storms of Contention -- Marksylvania Book 1


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis