Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

Aedric prepares to head off on his mission for Duke Eleazar

"

43.

Lone Wolf

 

 

As soon as the Duke had disappeared into the rain, Snoe began telling him why she needed to accompany him on his journey.

“I’m a Drow, I can see much better than you can in the dark and you know that I am skilled with my swords.  Besides, a knight is supposed to have a squire, remember?”   Her plea seemed nearly desperate, which puzzled him after all that had happened to her family the past few days.

 

“Snoe, don’t you want to stay and comfort your mother and your sisters?”   He asked gently, wondering if her desire to get away was some sort of odd reaction to the trauma of her sisters’ deaths.

 

She looked as if she was about to say something, but then caught herself, took a breath and (it seemed to him) reworded what she said, “Sir Aedric, it just seems like a lot is hanging on the success of your mission and that I would be of more service to my parents as well as the Kingdom of Northmarch accompanying you on your mission.”

“Snoe, things have changed now and really, I don’t think you need to think of yourself as my squire any more.   I really appreciate your kindness to me, but your parents need you with them right now and so that is where you should be, rather than riding off in the rain with me.”

 

“They don’t ‘need’ me, Sir Aedric!   They just want me to stay close by so nothing will happen to me.   All my life they’ve been more protective of me than any of my other sisters or Gamel.   I had a terrible time convincing them to allow me to help Thorm, because we had to travel a few times a year -- mostly to Tarmard and Ventross.   I need to get away from them, Sir Aedric!   I want to go with you!   Please!”

She was blinking back tears and she looked so stricken right then that he almost agreed, but he certainly didn’t want to put the girl into danger.   She was still a very young woman in Elven terms - certainly not the age where she would go off alone with a man.   Especially not on such a potentially dangerous mission.   No, he wanted her safe.

“Snoe, the answer is no.  I’m sorry, but I serve your father now and he forbids you to come with me.   I think it was the right choice.   I’m sorry, but I don’t want anything to happen to you.”

The girl glared at him, her red eyes glowing rather sinisterly, “I knew you’d say that!   You don’t think I’m old enough to make my own decisions, do you?”

“No, in fact I don’t think you realize the danger that is involved and how something happening to you would devastate your parents.”

“But-“

“The matter is closed, Snoe.”

“But-“

“Snoe, please!   Don’t make this more difficult.   I am quite fond of you and believe me, I don’t have many friends, so I don’t want to have a falling out over this just before I leave, alright?”

 

She glared at him for a moment, then, grudgingly, nodded.

“Good.” He said with a sigh, “I’ll need your help in getting my gear selected, and then I want you to stay here and obey your father.   Help Mutt nurse Carn back to health.”

“Sure.” She said in a dejected tone, so he didn’t say any more.

 

 

 

 

***

 

A few hours later, as they all lay there trying to rest, a couple of servants startled them by suddenly appearing at the flap door to the wagon.   Each carried a bundle wrapped in wet cloaks, which they sat down next to the knight in the wagon, then left without a word.   A few minutes later, another servant arrived with a sword and scabbard, also wrapped in cloaks.   He too didn’t say a word, but handed the parcel to Aedric with a nod, then turned and left.

 

“It’s chainmail.” Mutt told them, having already unfolded the first bundle.

“This one is as well.” Snoe added, holding up a shimmering suit of Elven mail.

“Well, then I had best get ready for my journey.” He told them, and after comparing the two Elven chainmail suits, he made a selection and began donning the lightweight armor.   Snoe and Mutt assisted him, but the albino girl did not say a word, leaving all the conversation to the Goblin.

 

In no time he was arrayed in the silver mail, which fit him quite well.

“Well, aside from your hair and eye color, you look just like a typical Faesidhe soldier or ranger.”

“Good " that will help, and I’ll keep the hood of my cloak over my hair so maybe I will pass by unnoticed if they don’t get a good look at my eyes.”

“You know some of them may recognize you.” Snoe finally spoke up.

“Yes, but I’m ready for that, as I am actually going to use my identity anyway.   I’ll just be the old angry, vengeful Aedric.”

Snoe just frowned and shook her head, but didn’t say anything else.

 

***

 

It was just before the middle of the night before he felt it was the best time to leave.   Mutt bid him farewell, but Snoe just sat in the wagon and gave him a half-hearted wave, without a word.   He didn’t like her fey mood, but he had no time to try to talk to her, so he threw his hood over his head and with a last look into the wagon, crawled through the flap, then dropped down onto the stones of the King’s Highway.  

 

After finding his horse - fully equipped for the journey- just where Eleazar said it would be found, he mounted up and started off, scaling the muddy embankment on the side of the road, then riding at a half-trot across the dark open fields.   

Veering westward, he rode on, thankful that the rain had diminished to a slow but steady drizzle and wishing that the wearisome journey ahead of him was done.

 

He was nearly a mile away before a cloaked rider appeared from somewhere in the convoy and quickly followed the knight’s path, careful to keep a distance from the Elf.



© 2014 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

225 Views
Added on April 12, 2014
Last Updated on April 12, 2014
Tags: Drow, Elf, Albino, Fantasy, Swords and Sorcery, Knights, Paladins, revenge, Marksylvania

Storms of Contention -- Marksylvania Book 1


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis