Special Forces

Special Forces

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

Aedric and the others from Westmark prepare for battle as King's Reach is invaded.

"

33.

Special Forces

 

 

When they arrived, they found the suite of rooms abuzz with the Duchess of Dullerm and her daughters quickly changing into armor.    He waited in the sitting room, feeling very uncomfortable, but even more anxious about the upcoming battle.   Glancing out the window as he waited, he could see the whole city rushing around in a near panic.  

Knights and foot soldiers raced in every direction, but Redburr’s forces had withdrawn from the city to rendezvous with the two armies approaching the city.  

 

He felt so frustratingly helpless, standing there while the five lovely Drow ladies hurriedly donned armor in the rooms beyond.   He should have been out there, on his horse, with the other knights.

 

Footsteps on the stairs broke his thoughts and he turned to find his foster mother, Alis, and sister Abigae, rushing up the stairs.

“Aedric, thank heavens!”  Alis said, rushing over to him, “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine.   Aaron, however-“

Alis nodded, “I know; we just came from his room.   He’ll be alright - if he doesn’t die from embarrassment of having half a dozen young ladies fussing over him.”

He shook his head in sympathy.

“What are you doing here?”   Abigae asked, noticing his discomfort.

“Waiting for my squire to suit up.”  

“You mean Snoe?”  His sister grinned.

“Yes.”  He squirmed, glancing out of the window.   

He jumped slightly when the shadow of three large crafts swiftly passed down the street.   It was the three warships, off to intercept the six craft closing from the east.  

“The airships just passed over,” He told Alis and Abigae as a slight rumbling sound now vibrated the building.  

“They’ll be outnumbered.”   Alis told him.

“I should be out there with the other knights.   The Queen ordered me to stay here.   I feel so shameful.”

Alis patted his shoulder, “Hon, you are following orders.   I imagine Eioldth wants you nearby because you have proven your worthiness today.   I about died when I saw that Ogre.   When Aaron went down I nearly fainted.   So if both of you are out of the heart of the upcoming battle, that is fine by me.”

“I should be helping Sir Aeric and Duke Eleazar.”

“Your duty lies with Your Queen.   Don’t worry, I imagine the palace will be the focus of the attack.   Your sister and I have to put our own armor on.   You stay safe.”   She leaned in and kissed his forehead then she and her daughter hurried into their room to prepare for their parts in the conflict.

 

***

 

A few minutes later, Snoe reappeared, with twin long swords strapped to each hip.   She had a somewhat frustrated expression on her face and he soon found out why, as Duchess Aurei came behind her, wearing the first suit of Drow plate armor that he had ever seen.   She too wasn’t smiling.

“Snoe, don’t you walk away from me when I’m talking to you!”

“Mom, we don’t have time for all of this!”

“You are NOT going to join in on this fight!”

“Mom, you know I’m able to-“

“I know how skilled you are with your swords!  For Heaven’s sake, I trained you how to use them together, child!   But you are too young to be in the middle of a battle.   Besides, I need you to watch Aidan.”

“-While you and everyone else are off fighting!”

“Snoe, this isn’t some practice match!”

“Which is why you need all the help you can get!”

“My goodness, what in the world has happened to you?   You get your voice back and suddenly you are a rebellious girl!”

 

Snoe frowned and crossed her hands across her chest, “I’m Sir Aedric’s squire - a squire is supposed to assist their knight.”

Aedric didn’t want to be in the middle of the conflict, especially with the Dullerms, and he held up his hands, “Duchess, I don’t need her assistance, nor do I want to put her in danger.”

Snoe twirled to face him, her eyes glowing a frightful red, “Shut up!”

“Snoe!”   The Duchess gasped at her daughter’s rudeness.

“Well, I’m tired of this!   We don’t have time, and all of you are being stupid about this!   I can fight!   I’m a Bitter Dreg!”

 

The albino girl proudly held her chin up upon revealing the news.   The Duchess laughed for an instant, before she noticed the look on her daughter’s face as well as Aedric’s, then her mouth fell open.

“You are not!”

“I am; if you don’t believe me, ask Thorm; he’s the Dreg master.”

Aurei groaned and slapped her forehead in exasperation, “I am going to kill that Dwarf!  How dare he recruit my own daughter without informing me!   He knows I’m aware of the Dregs!”

“I’ve been a Dreg for nearly a year, Mother!”

“You are still too young to be out there in danger needlessly!   Who will watch Aidan?”

“Let Sir Aaron watch him; he’s incapacitated right now.”

“I can’t believe you are fighting me in this!   You’ve always been such an obedient child.”

“Mother, I’m not a child any more, in case you haven’t noticed!”

“Well, you are acting like a spoiled child right now!   I don’t need to worry about you as well, right now!”

“Well then don’t worry about me!   You always talk about trusting Yesh in all things - what about now?”

The Duchess’ eyes glowed as brightly red as her daughter’s, but she just took a deep calming breath and turned to Aedric.

“Alright - this is how it is going to be.   She is your squire, and I know you didn’t select her as that, but I’m going to trust her to your care.”

“But-“ He protested, but the Drow lady had already turned back to Snoe.

“As for you, young lady - you had better stick with him at all times, and do exactly what he tells you to do.   We’ll discuss this later.   For the love of Yesh, BE CAREFUL!”   She started to turn away from her, but changed her mind and leaned in and hugged her daughter, mouthing ‘watch her’ to Aedric as she embraced her.   Aedric nodded grimly.

 

“Both of you please be careful!”   The Duchess said, and quickly turned away to hide her worry from them.

 

Aedric just stood there, not quite sure what to do.   Snoe turned to him and it was as if she was a different person.   She smiled her shy smile, looking down at the floor, “Sorry you had to see that.   It’s the first time I’ve not done what my mother told me to do.”

“I’m sorry.”   He mumbled, not knowing anything else he could say.

“I’m not; it feels really, really good.  I guess I’m ready now.”

“Okay; let’s find Her Majesty and see what she wants us to do.”

“Alright.   I’m… sorry I told you to shut up.”

“Don’t worry about it; no harm done.”

“I just didn’t want her to use you to help her case against me.”

They started descending the stairs as they talked.

“She is just protective of you - you know that, don’t you?”

“She thinks I’m a child.”

“Well, you are rather young.”

She frowned slightly, “I’m not THAT young.   Gamel is younger than me, and he’s a knight.   She didn’t stop him.”

“Yes, but he’s with your father.”

“Well, I’m with you, so what’s the difference?”

“You’d be better off with your father.”

“I’d rather be with you.   He’d just make me stay back out of the way.”

“Well, what makes you think I won’t do the same thing?   I really don’t want to have your parents mad at me.”

“You won’t; I think you understand somehow.”

“Me?   Not really.”

She just gave him her shy smile but didn’t say anything else, and they weaved through couriers and guards until they found where the Queen had set up her headquarters in the basement of the palace.  

 

In front of her on a wide table was a very detailed map of the city and surrounding countryside and several men in fancy plate armor stood speaking to her and pointing things out  on the map.

“Strategic planning.” He whispered to Snoe and they stood quietly for a few minutes while she conversed with her generals.  

 

Finally the meeting seemed to end and the armored men hurried away, barking orders to adjutants as they rushed out of the room.   For a moment the Queen turned to one of her ladies-in-waiting and gave some orders, then, seeing Aedric and Snoe, she motioned for them to come over to her.

 

“Your Majesty.”  Aedric bowed and Snoe curtseyed.

“You really don’t need to worry about etiquette right now.” She said a bit crossly, but then she smiled, “I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be cross.   Sir Aedric, I am putting you in charge of protecting the members of my court.   I’ve ordered all my ladies-in-waiting, court advisors, clerks, servants and those unable to take up arms into this basement level.”

“I’ve also moved all the official records of the Kingdom into the inner vaults here, as well as the royal treasures.    This floor of the palace was once used as a dungeon, when my late husband’s father ruled Northmarch.   So it only has one entrance to defend.   It is well furnished now, but very secure.   Your task is to prevent any attacking enemy from looting the royal treasury  or harming any of my court.”

Aedric nodded, but was not thrilled with the guard duty.   Eioldth noticed his frown, “Is there a problem, Sir Knight?”

“No, Your Majesty.”

“I think there is.   Perhaps you are thinking that this is beneath your skill in arms?”

He shook his head, but somewhat hesitantly, “Not exactly, Your Majesty.   I just feel like I should play a more active part in helping defend Your Kingdom.”

 

She smiled at his diplomatic words, “Sir Aedric, perhaps I didn’t explain myself clearly.   Until we find out just what we are up against, I am using this basement as my headquarters, so I will be here during the assault.   As the Bitter Dregs have informed me that this whole terrible day is an apparent attempt at a coup, you will very likely have one of the most dangerous jobs.   I am quite sure Redburr will want to either kill or capture me and force me to relinquish the crown.    I am putting you in charge of what will be the last level of defense.   If they get past my forces, then you will have to defend my court and myself, in a basement room with only one entrance.”

Suddenly the whole thing seemed hugely important.   Too important for someone like him.

“Your Majesty, I fear I’m far too unworthy for such a task.”

“Sir Aedric, you probably are - as would any knight- and that is why I selected you.   Your apprehension makes you cautious and that gives you an edge.   Plus, you will have my household guard under your command.   They are made up of some of the sons of nobles and could certainly learn from your skill.    It is a huge task to put on a new knight, but I am confident that you are up to it.   I have seen you in action.  Your squire is also quite skilled with her swords.    Hopefully none will enter the palace grounds, but if they do, I have placed my security upon your shoulders.”

Aedric felt sick at his stomach at the thought of the Queen relying upon him in this capacity, but what could he say?    He bowed before her, feeling a strong sense of impending doom.

Eioldth smiled again, “I will leave the defenses to your discretion.  My household guard and those of my court with some skill in arms are to assemble at the room at the end of the hall.   It used to be the main guard station for the dungeon, and you shall have that as your headquarters.   Go and address your men and make your plans, and may Yesh protect us all.”

 

She turned and motioned for a pair of messengers who had arrived during her conversation with Aedric, to come forward with their messages.  

 

Aedric turned to Snoe, “Well, how do you feel about being with me now?”

She shrugged, “No different.   She is really impressed by you.   I thought she’d ask my father to defend this level.”

 

“Let’s hope she has him defending the outer courts so they won’t get to the basement.   If they can overcome your father and his knights as well as the Queen’s bodyguards, then we won’t have much of a chance to stop them.”

 

“You need to have faith.  You are a Knight of Yesh.”   The girl commented as she followed him down the hall to the guard station.

“I fear I’m not going to be one after today, either due to my failure or through my death.”

“You are not supposed to be afraid - you are a Paladin!”

He didn’t respond as they entered the former guard station right then, only to find about 15 young noblemen seated around a rectangular table looking very nervous and excited. 

 

They all stopped talking when they entered and their youthful faces told him that they were even greener then he was regarding their duties as household guards.   Most were barely teenaged and he guessed that the majority of them were still serving as pages or maybe had just become new squires to a knight. 

 

They waited for him to address them and he took a deep breath and cleared his throat, “Well, I guess I’ve been conscripted to be your leader in the coming conflict.”

 

He paused, hoping for some response from them, but the young men just waited for him to continue. 

 

“Ah… well, I am Aedric, a Knight of Her Majesty and this is my squire, Lady Snoe.   The orders I have from Her Majesty is that we are to defend this lower level of the palace if the enemy attacks the palace.   Her Majesty has told me that she plans to use this level as a base of operations, so we will have as our first priority, protecting the Queen, and then her court and finally the possessions found here.”

“I am told that this level used to be used as a dungeon and as a result, there is only one exit.   This is both an asset for us and an obstacle.   We will not be able to escape from this level if they block off the entrance.   So it is my strategy that we keep any enemy that breeches the palace walls, from accessing this level.  Since there is only one entrance, obviously we will mass our forces there.”

One of the young men in the back raised his hand, “What if they set the palace on fire to try to force us out?”

 

It was a legitimate concern and he thought about it for a moment, “If that happens, then we will surround the Queen and her court and try to fight our way out.   But we are getting away from the task at hand.   We suspect the forces coming against us are working for Earl Redburr, who will probably not want to destroy the Palace as he seeks to be King.   So I suspect he will attempt a direct assault.   He wants the crown and will want the Palace as his trophy.”

 

The talk turned to how they would defend the level and they decided on a shield wall sort of defense, using the narrow passage entrance to keep the number of attackers at a minimum.   With that decided, he dismissed them to don their armor and then reassemble in the guardroom in half an hour.  

 

After they had left, he slumped down in a chair and rubbed his head.

“Are you okay?”  Snoe asked, sitting down across from him.

“I’m stressed and still scared to death of making some sort of tactical mistake that will endanger the Queen.”

“That’s understandable.  You sounded very confident when you were talking to them.”

“It was a bluff, because I’m anything but confident.”

 

Suddenly a royal messenger appeared at the doorway, “Excuse me, sir, but Her Majesty wanted me to give you an update on what is going on outside.   The three warships are engaging the enemy and have knocked two of them from the sky, though one of Her Majesty’s ships seems crippled.   Duke Dullerm’s forces report that a score of low-flying airships have arrived from the south, stopping just outside of the city.”

“Each ship apparently is a troop transporter, for about 50 strange reptilian creatures have disembarked from each craft.   The Duke reports about 1,000 of these creatures forming ranks outside of King’s Reach, supplemented by a small cavalry force of humans and the remainder of the forces encountered at the tournament field.”

Aedric looked at Snoe, then back to the messenger, “How many are in Duke Dullerm’s forces?”

“I do not know, sir, but it is made up of the Knights of the tournament, the Queen’s bodyguards, Palace guards and what troops were in the city.   Perhaps 500 or so, I would estimate.”

Snoe stood up and began pacing, wringing her hands nervously, “Do you know where my mother and sisters - as well as Lady Alis- are?”

“My lady, Her Grace and your sisters, as well as Lady Alis are all surrounding the palace walls, with the merchants and craftsmen serving as a make-shift militia.   I was instructed by Master Thorm to inform both of you that he, Carn and Mutt are there assisting in this defense.”

Snoe nodded, but looked very troubled.   

  

“Snoe " you can go to them if you want.”   Aedric told her with an understanding smile, “I have enough men down here to be alright.   I don’t want you to worry about your mother and sisters.”

She closed her eyes for a moment, took a deep breath, then set her jaw and shook her head, “No, I’m staying here with you, at my post.   I trust Yesh.”

 

He had just dismissed the messenger and was trying to figure out how he could reassure the young woman when, just outside of the door to the guardroom, there appeared a sudden wave of blue light, like sunlight shimmering upon a pool of water.

“What is that?” He exclaimed.

“Yesh have mercy!”  Snoe cried out upon seeing the effect, “That is a teleportation spell!   Someone is about to appear!”

They both ran out into the hallway, shouting out alarm, as suddenly before them stood a man in a wizard’s robe, holding a glowing blue staff aloft.   Surrounding him were terrible dinosaur-like humanoids, about the size of a man, with dark green skin, long reptilian snouts full of sharp teeth, and darting yellow eyes.  They wore scant armor, but carried in each hand long, wicked swords that seemed to be made of bronze.

As soon as they materialized, they quickly moved forward to engage them.  The Wizard raised his staff above him and vanished as quickly as he appeared, while the reptilian creatures surged forward.


“WE ARE UNDER ATTACK!!” Aedric screamed so all the hall could hear, “THEY’RE HERE!”


© 2014 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

"...you and everyone else is off..." The "is" ought to be "are."
"...turned away to hide from them her worry." It may sound better "...to hide her worry from them."
"...and pointing out things..." Perhaps "...pointing things out..." instead. ?
"...the armored men hurried away, barking orders to adjutants as they hurried out of the room." You might change one of the "hurried" to something else...prevent redundancy.
"I’ve ordered that my household guard and those of my court with some skill in arms to assemble..." This sounds like two different ideas merged together with the "ordered that" and "to assemble."

Posted 9 Years Ago


Eddie Davis

9 Years Ago

Thanks for your review, Elina, and your proofing. I'll make the changes this evening when I'm done.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

278 Views
1 Review
Added on April 1, 2014
Last Updated on May 5, 2014
Tags: Drow, Elf, Albino, Fantasy, Swords and Sorcery, Knights, Paladins, revenge, Marksylvania

Storms of Contention -- Marksylvania Book 1


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis