New Life

New Life

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

Aedric realizes a new chapter in his life has dawned

"

22.

New Life

 

As soon as the prayer ended, the assembly erupted into excited noise.   Before he could ask the albino girl about what Yesh had asked her to do, they were swarmed by those who had watched the ceremony from the back of the hall.  

 

Snoe joined her sisters and parents around Gamel to congratulate him and he went over to stand with Alis, Aeric and Aaron, who were joined by Abigae and several of their servants who had come to King’s Reach to see the ceremony.

 

They all celebrated as a family and they included Aedric, which for the first time, greatly pleased him.   He was speaking to Aaron when he felt a tap on his shoulder and found Reverend Mother Zeatt standing there.

 

“Reverend Mother,” He said with a respectful bow, “Thank you for consecrating me.”

“It was a great surprise to me, Sir Aedric.” She responded, smiling as she addressed him by his new title.

“Yes, it surprised me as well.   Matron Zeatt, I think I may need to be baptized into fellowship with Yesh now.”

The Drow lady shook her head, “No, you don’t, Sir Aedric.”

“I don’t?  But I’ve never publicly acknowledged faith in Him.”

“I realize that, child.   But you must understand that the mantle of a Paladin cannot fall upon anyone who is not a believer in Yesh.   So you must have made a decision to follow him, for He has let his mantle fall upon you.”

 

“But aren’t I supposed to be washed pure first?”

“Normally, I would say absolutely.   But He has apparently already washed you, for only the pure of heart receive his mantle.”

 

Aedric shifted nervously, “Matron Zeatt, that concerns me.   I must confess to you that only a few hours ago I was certainly not right with Yesh or with anyone.”

“Yes, in fact, you had great evil in your heart.   I sensed it in you when you came into the banquet.   But it was evil that was in the beginning stages of being purged.   Now it is completely gone.”

“I hope it has left me, Reverend Mother.   Much of it was hatred and rage focused on you and your family.”

 

He thought that would surprise or distress her, but she was not at all dismayed and nodded, “Oh, I knew that, Sir Aedric.   I also know that it may be a long time before you are comfortable around any of my family.   But the change has occurred.   Do not be fearful of it, or what it will reveal to you.   By going through it, you will be healed, but it may be very painful.”

 

“I understand - I experienced some of that this afternoon and evening.”

“But don’t you feel changed as a result?”

“Oh yes, wonderfully so.   It scares me somewhat, for it is all so new.”

“Perhaps you are uneasy at feeling normal again.”

“You may be right.”

 

At that moment, Duke Dullerm approached them.   He felt a nervous uneasiness as he neared, but he marveled that he felt absolutely no malice or evil toward him at all.

 

Duke Eleazar just gave him a reserved smile, “Sir Aedric, apparently you have spent some very intense time with Yesh since our last talk.”

 

He nodded, “Yes, Your Grace, to be frank, I am very surprised at the outcome as well.”

“Do you feel peace in your heart?”  He asked.

 

Aedric thought about it for a moment, “Yes, I guess I do.  I feel rather confused at everything that has happened, but something has been lifted from me.   I feel… I guess I feel like I can think clearly now.”

“I am very glad of that.   I must say that I was surprised that my daughter agreed to act as your squire tonight.   When did you ask her?”

“I didn’t ask her, sir.    I thought you had asked her to do that since I didn’t have time to select one.”

“I didn’t ask her, Sir Aedric.   She was sitting with her sisters in the back.   Have you spoken to her?”

“Yes, briefly; she said Yesh told her to do it.”

“Then I am glad that she obeyed.   It has been an evening of great surprises and changes.   I am very glad for you, Sir Aedric.”

“Thank you, Your Grace.”

“The tournaments will begin tomorrow, so I’d recommend that you get some rest.   It is a pity that you are not going to compete on my team.”

“Well, I have already spoken to Master Thorm.”

 

The Duke nodded, “That’s quite alright, young man.   I will be cheering you on - except when you come against any of my knights or my son.”

“I’ll try not to embarrass them or you too badly.” He jested and the Duke laughed, patting him on the shoulder as he followed Matron Zeatt back to where his family stood talking around Gamel.

 



© 2014 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

223 Views
Added on March 21, 2014
Last Updated on April 23, 2014
Tags: Drow, Elf, Albino, Fantasy, Swords and Sorcery, Knights, Paladins, revenge, Marksylvania

Storms of Contention -- Marksylvania Book 1


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis