Challenge of the Gauntlet

Challenge of the Gauntlet

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

Aedric begins his duties as Queen's Champion

"

29.

Challenge of the Gauntlet

 

Within a few minutes Aedric was astride his warhorse with his lance in hand, waiting for the last of the knights to gather in a circle around the Queen’s pavilion before he performed his ceremonial duties.  

 

Thorm was already in the Queen’s booth, whispering the news to her, and behind him stood Snoe in the proper place for a Knight’s squire to stand, with her cloak pulled around her to conceal herself the best that she could.

He couldn’t believe all the changes that had transpired in such a brief period of time.   At this point yesterday, they hadn’t even quite made it to King’s Reach yet, and he had spent the time smoldering in hatred toward Duke Dullerm.  

 

Now he was an ally and he felt no hatred for him, though he was still  uncomfortable around the man and his family.  

 

It all felt so odd to him, but he had no time to deeply dwell upon that now, as all the knights were now assembled and looked to him expectedly.   He glanced up at the Queen for her approval and she smiled slightly, obviously worried about the news she had received from Thorm.  Still, she nodded and he spurred his horse forward into the center of the field.

 

Raising his visor, he looked nervously about the knights eagerly watching him.   Clearing his throat, he took a deep breath and as loudly as he could, he yelled out the words told to him by the royal herald. 

“Lords and Ladies, Knights and Squires, and all who can hear my voice; in the name of Her Majesty, Queen Eioldth I of Northmarch, I bid thee welcome!”

“I am Aedric, a humble knight, the Queen’s Champion for this tournament, and I uphold the honor of The Queen and challenge any who would contest her honor!”

 

With the expected dramatic effect, he removed his right gauntlet and threw it down in front of him onto the ground, glancing about as instructed by the herald, with a look of pride.

 

He was about to move on when, to his and everyone’s surprise, a young knight rushed forward and scooped up the gauntlet, holding it in his fist, over his head, as everyone gasped and murmured in surprise.

 

Aedric glanced back at the Queen, who stood there stoically, but clearly troubled.   Quickly recalling most of the ceremonial words he had been told if there was a challenge, he rode up to the knight.

 

He was a dandy-looking man, just old enough to be knighted.   Unlike most of the knights, he had long hair that would have looked much fairer on a young lady.   He was thin and unimposing, but had an aloofness about him as he stood there holding the gauntlet in his shining silver plate armor.

“Who dares to take up the gauntlet?”  Aedric asked, lowering his lance in front of the knight as protocol dictated.

“I am Leos Redburr, son of Earl Redburr of Southgate, a Knight in good standing!” He replied proudly, also following protocol.   He wasn’t one of those who had been knighted in last night’s ceremony.

“Do you challenge the honor of the Queen?” Aedric replied, hoping that somehow the young dandy would change his mind.

 

Instead, he placed the gauntlet on the end of the lance, which was the official acceptance of the challenge.

“I do!  I challenge her honor.   She has no right to rule as Queen, for she is not of the bloodline of the royal family.    I accept your challenge, Sir Aedric!”

 

Aedric sighed in frustration, “Very well, Sir Leos, you as challenger have the selection of the type of contest.”

“I choose the Joust of Peace, with the battle to continue if unhorsed, until one side yields or dies!”

 

The crowd murmured and talked upon hearing the selection.   The ‘Joust of Peace’ was a joust where a coronel was placed upon the tip of the lance to spread out the impact and keep a knight from being impaled.   But the unusual addition of a battle on foot if unhorsed until surrender or death seemed almost to nullify it.

 

Aedric turned to the Queen, for her approval and she stood there pale, but reserved and nodded gravely.

 

“Very well, Sir Leos, you shall take as your station, the far end of the field, I shall take this end.   Make preparations for the joust and signal the royal herald in the pavilion when all is ready.   When we both are prepared, he shall, at the Queen’s signal, sound a blast by trumpet and we shall then meet in contest.   May He who is righteous in his cause be victorious!”

 

Leos saluted him and spun on his heels to hurry off to make preparations.   Aedric had no time to watch him go but turned his horse and rode over first to Snoe, who nodded when he just glanced at her.   A second later she was racing to set up his stand of lances and gather his jousting armor pieces.

 

He went up to the pavilion upon seeing Eioldth standing there waiting for him.   Bowing in the saddle, he spoke, “Your Majesty, I am most sorry for this challenge.”

“I have the greatest confidence in you, Sir Aedric.” She replied, but he could see that concern haunted her.

“I regret that I am far from the best choice for your Champion, Your Majesty.”

“You are the best choice for today, and Yesh will uphold you.”  She said, smiling slightly, “Now go and make preparations.”

 

He bowed again and turned, leading his horse over to where Snoe was already setting up his stand of four lances, while one of Thorm’s sons " Darv, he thought- carried over the heavy pieces of armor that they would have to bolt onto the plate armor that he now wore, to fortify it for the joust.

 

Across the field, Leos’ squire and pages were likewise setting up his equipment.

 

He rode over to his attendants, but before he could dismount, Snoe held up her hand to bid him to stay in the saddle.   She mumbled something to Darv, and then took the heavy breast plate pieces and throwing her cloak back, very nimbly swung up and over onto his Warhorse with one arm, while holding the pieces.  

 

The crowd watching it at first laughed when they saw her appearance, for from a distance they thought she was a clown or jester who was there to entertain them while the knights prepared for their joust.  

 

But when she gracefully mounted the horse while holding the armor, their laughter turned to applause and then, after viewing her longer, even some whistles and catcalls.  

 

She was sitting backwards directly in front of him, balancing herself with her legs as she removed the three bolts from the heavy jousting plate so she could attach it to his breastplate.  

 

As usual she had her sad little smile on her blood red lips and she was so close that he was able to really look at her closely while she was busy removing the bolts.

 

Glancing up into the Queen’s pavilion to try to ease the awkward closeness to her, he saw to the left of the Queen, Snoe’s mother, sisters and great aunt.   They were quite a lovely sight to see, even if they were Drow.  Those who fiercely hated the Dark Elves often found the females of the race enchanting, and Snoe’s female relatives were extraordinary.

 

They all shared some physical traits that were mentioned over and over by the enamored men who stared at them.   How many times had he heard the men in the taverns of Dullerm talk about the Duchess and her daughters? They always mentioned their nearly human height and flawless features.   Of course there was always lewd talk about how all of the Duchess’ older daughters (as well as her aunt) were blessed just as she had been, with very generous buxom bosoms.  All of them, except Snoe, had exotic jet black skin and lovely silvery white hair.  

 

But there were plenty of differences that Aedric had noticed.     

 

Reverend Mother Zeatt was the actual matriarch of the Drow family, though she only seemed slightly older than the Duchess.   She had bewitching bedroom eyes that seemed to contrast her piety.  Something about her hinted at the allure of the Underdark and it was intoxicating to many men.

 

Duchess Aurei had an almost penetrating beauty about her that none could help but notice.   Few men could keep from being charmed by her sweet playfulness and good-natured attitude or her sparkling red eyes. 

 

Her daughter Sirya had more of a common beauty about her and she seemed to greatly enjoy people.   She was nearly the size of a half-Elf with wide hips and she would probably have many children.

 

Aranthi was the ‘princess’ of the daughters, smaller in height but radiant in her beauty.   She knew how to use her looks to get what she wanted and did just that, with men falling all over themselves for her.

 

Her sister Amala was tall and athletic, with short hair and a tom-boyish attitude.  She did not care at all about her appearance, but in many ways, this made her much more attractive then Aranthi, for she was easily her match in comeliness.

 

Aside from their baby sister, Aidan, who had the most wonderfully fascinating orange-red eyes, there was Snoe.

 

Aedric glanced at her, trying not to make her uncomfortable by staring.   Her skin was the absolute opposite of her sisters in color, but even up close it was a flawless white.  

She was only now just entering into the flower of young womanhood, but she was graceful in form, falling between Aranthi and Amala in height.   Her hair lacked the silver tint of her sister’s hair, but was like pure white wool.   Her features were as perfect as Aranthi’s and yet like Amala, she seemed not to know or care.  

Her eyes were much like her mother’s, bright and hypnotizing, but in a shy and reserved way that only enhanced the enchantment.

 

She peeked up at him, giving him her shy look from about a foot away and he blushed, for he had been staring at her.  

 

“I’m almost done.” She said softly in her slightly deep, musical voice, “I’m sorry to do it this way, but it is quicker and you won’t have to try to mount your horse with the added weight.   I didn’t mean to embarrass you.”

“You’re not embarrassing me.” He replied uncomfortably.   She was so near he could feel her warm breath on his chin as she worked to fasten the bolts.

“These plates will absorb the force of the lance, but of course you’ll lose a lot of movement.   I’ll add the Lancer’s Shield to your saddle after I finish here.”

 

“Thanks…” He struggled to think of something to say to ease both of their nerves, “So, what do we know about my opponent?”

“I don’t know much, but Leos is not much of a knight.   He is more interested in courtly matters, mainly chasing the ladies.   I think his father actually knighted him, which is unorthodox, but allowed, I guess.”

“How long has he been a knight?”

 

“Not long, I’ve heard.   A few months, probably.  I saw him ride in with his father.   His horse is not large or very strong looking.   He has strong armor, but not nearly as strong as yours.”  

 

She smiled as she finished with the bolts.  “There!   I’ll attach your jousting helmet last, but let me work on the lancer’s shield.   I’m sure Aranthi will go on-and-on about how shamefully un-lady-like it was to help you.   ‘You embarrassed Mom and Dad’, she’ll say.”

“You aren’t doing anything embarrassing; you are just being a good squire.”

She shrugged and lowered her gaze, saying nothing as she bolted on the shield.

 

Again he hunted for something to say to help his unease, “So will they cast a detection spell for use of magic?”

“I think so; it’s supposed to be illegal to use any sort of magic during the tournament.”

“Yes, but is this actually part of the tournament, or would this fall under just a challenge before the tournament begins?”

 

Again she shrugged, “I don’t know.   Leos could have some magic, but I think you’ll unhorse him even if he has some.”

“Why do you say that?   You’ve never even seen me tilt before!”

 

She didn’t meet his gaze, but her face flushed bright red, which with her albinism, she could not hide, “I just know you’ll win.”

“I hope your confidence isn’t misplaced.” He replied.

“It’s not.   You’ll defeat him.”   She continued to flush from embarrassment and the effect was actually quite lovely.  Still, he wanted to ease her embarrassment.

 

“Why do you think he challenged the Queen’s honor?”

She shook her head, “I imagine we’ll learn soon enough.   I don’t think just discrediting her would be his plan.   If Leos wins, all he’ll get is your armor and horse… right?”

 

She glanced up at him and for an instant he just met her gaze, then, as if coming out a daydream, he answered, “Um… yeah, that is usually the custom.   The winner can choose to sell them back to the loser, or keep them as a trophy.”

 

“His armor wouldn’t fit you… you’re more muscular then him, even if he is a human.”

As soon as she said this, the poor girl began blushing again and quickly bowed over to look at the lancer’s shield more closely.

He smiled at her reaction " she was so timid, yet it also was very charming somehow.

He decided to let her off the hook, “I tell you what; if I win, I’ll give his armor to you… and his horse, if you want it.”

 

She looked up alarmed, “That wouldn’t be right!   He’ll consider it an affront if you give his stuff to a squire.”

Aedric shrugged, “Well, he offended the Queen, so perhaps that would put him in his place.”

“Yes, but don’t forget what Sam told us; his father has men and probably Ogres nearby.   We don’t want to start a battle.”

Aedric nodded, “You’re right.   Maybe I’ll just keep his armor and give him his horse back.”

“That would probably be best.   I think I have the shield attached.   Let’s get that helm bolted on.   It is mithril, so it isn’t really very heavy, but you still will not be able to quickly remove it if you are unhorsed… not that I think this will happen… but if it were, you won’t have very good vision for sword fighting.”

“I understand.   You seem very knowledgeable about all of this.”

“Both of my parents trained knights for years.   You learn a lot by watching.”

Darv, who had stood quietly as she bolted on the jousting pieces, now handed up to her a large helm with a narrow slit to see out of, known commonly as a ‘frog-mouthed helm’.   He had worn heavier steel versions of the same type of helm many times.  

 

The idea was to lean forward and look out of the narrow slit until just before you made contact with your opponent, then lean backwards, concealing your opponent, but protecting the slit from a splintered lance. 

 

Snoe gently set the helm over his head and for a moment he felt trapped in the thing.   Even breathing was a challenge, for the helm had very few, very small air holes and the enclosed feeling was somewhat unnerving, even when you were used to it.   He took several deep breaths to calm down as she reached around him and secured the helm from both the back and front.

 

She gently leaned him forward and looked through the slit, “How is it?”

“Hot and enclosed.”

“Sorry.   I will position your lance and then you’ll be ready to go.   Shall I signal the royal herald when you are ready?”

“Yes.  Thank you, Lady Snoe.”

“Just Snoe, Sir Aedric.”

“Then you must just call me Aedric.”

“That wouldn’t be proper for a squire to be that familiar with a knight.  May Yesh guide your lance.   Be careful and remember, hit him hard and let’s get this whole thing over with.”

 

He grunted his agreement and she disappeared from his view, but he felt her set a lance against his lance rest.  A moment later he felt her dismount and he took his rein in his left hand while leaning forward enough to see to position his horse at the end of the tilting lane.  

 

He didn’t have long to wait, for at the other end of the lane he could see Sir Leos astride his horse, wearing what seemed to him to be inadequate armor, but with a helm (made of steel) much like his own.  

 

He heard some chanting and saw a black robed figure beneath him, waving a staff over him, while another black robed man did the same to Leos, at the other end.  

They were checking both of them for magic, and he was pleased to learn that Leos had none about which he must worry.

 

Soon the herald’s trumpet was sounding and the crowd broke into cheering as he positioned himself to joust.



© 2014 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

So...after probably five attempts at reading this chapter...I've finally done it. Haha! Sorry it's taken me so long.

"...transpired in the past day’s period of time." I'm not entirely sure what it is about this sentence, but it just sounds odd to me. ?
"...though he still was uncomfortable..." It may sound better if you switch "still" and "was."
"...all who can hear by voice..." I think you were wanting "my" here, rather than "by." ?
"...likewise sitting up his equipment." I believe you meant "setting," rather than "sitting."
"...she seemed to not know or care..." Perhaps "...seemed not to..." instead. ?

Posted 10 Years Ago


Eddie Davis

10 Years Ago

Thank you Elina, your eyes are golden.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

282 Views
1 Review
Added on March 28, 2014
Last Updated on April 30, 2014
Tags: Drow, Elf, Albino, Fantasy, Swords and Sorcery, Knights, Paladins, revenge, Marksylvania

Storms of Contention -- Marksylvania Book 1


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis