Conspiracy Theory

Conspiracy Theory

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

Aedric and Snoe learn of a sinister plot against the Queen

"

28.

Conspiracy Theory

 

Sam bowed reverently to the Dwarf, who in return shook the man’s hand.

“Master Thorm, it is truly an honor to meet you sir.”  Sam addressed the elder Dwarf.   He acted as if Thorm was someone extremely important.

“Good to meet ye, too.   Ye come to us with a message from Southgate?”  

“Yes, Master Thorm.   Master Cilix sent me with a message concerning possible danger to Queen Eioldth.”

 

Thorm led the man over to one of three chairs in Aedric’s tent and both sat down, while Carn, with surprising stealth, crept over to the tent flap and stood as guard against other listeners.  

 

Aedric glanced at Mutt and Snoe, both who just shrugged and went over to hear of the news.

“Master Thorm, for the past month in Southgate, there has been a lot of activity that Master Cilix felt was worthy of monitoring.”

“What sort of activity?”

“Well there seemed to be a great deal of military drills, but not by the ducal forces.”

“Then by whom?”

“Mostly by the forces of Earl Redburr… have you heard of him?”

Thorm nodded, but glanced at Mutt, Snoe and Aedric and then explained, “Earl Montros Redburr " he’s the grandson of a younger brother of King Haroldris.   His sire was Earl Pandric Redburr " he died last year" who thought the ruler of Northmarch should be some of the kin of Haroldris, not his Elven wife.   Most think he was a ‘silent partner’ of Baron Bristane, who ye know tried to usurp the throne when Haroldris lay dyin’ a couple of years ago.   He tried to kill Prince Edwarren, and blame it on Orcs.”

 

The Dwarf turned now to address Aedric, “Lad, ‘twas Snoe’s sister Amala that foiled it, and she ain’t even a Dreg!”

 

Aedric was surprised, for he had only heard of a small Orc uprising in the south that was suppressed, as well as a couple of barons who had been against Eioldth being named Queen.   Apparently the whole affair had been kept quiet.

“She did it all by herself?”

“Aye " ‘tis a long story, but let me tell ye lad, she’s a tigress with her swords!   I’d not advise crossin’ her.”  

“I’ll remember that.” He replied with a glance at Snoe, who was amused by his expression.

 

“Go on, Sam " ye said that the forces drilling were Redburr’s own?”  Thorm turned the conversation back to the pressing matters.

“Yes; and he seems to have had a lot of mercenaries practicing for something martial at his estate.   We sent out several spies, but his men were not really trying to be secretive about it.”

“How many were there?”

“Probably a hundred, our spies guessed.   They were just going through standard militia type of drills, but the spies said they seemed very determined to perfect their skill at arms.”

“So what makes ye think they are going to put the Queen in danger?”

“Two weeks ago the training sessions abruptly stopped and the following morning the men were simply gone.   Apparently they rode off in the night with their massed arms.   One of our Rangers tracked them and they rode due north and camped in Baron Bristane’s abandoned estate, just 10 miles south of King’s Reach.”

“When did they camp there?”  Thorm now seemed greatly concerned.

“A week ago, and they are definitely keeping a low profile here, for they went to great measures to conceal their presence in Bristane’s estate.”

 

Thorm leaned back in his chair, “I hadn’t heard any news of any large force of men here " other than those a-comin’ to the tournament.”

 

Sam nodded, “We think that may have been part of the plan " to use the tournament as an excuse if they were confronted about their intentions.   But they probably figured that the crowds coming into King’s Reach would conceal them to some degree.”

“Is Redburr with them?”

Snoe interrupted them, “Excuse me, sirs, but Earl Redburr is competing in the tournament, along with his son.”

“Did he ride here with his men?”   Thorm asked both the Dreg messenger and Snoe.

“Our Rangers said he didn’t ride with his men.”  Sam answered.

“He arrived yesterday.”  Snoe added, “He came in with the group of nobles and knights from Southgate.”

“Distancing himself.”  Thorm interjected, scratching his long white beard, “But still, ‘tis no crime to ride with a force of men.”

 

Sam leaned forward in his chair, “Master Thorm, there is more to tell.   While our Ranger was tracking the mercenaries here, we had some spies snooping around for any rumors about Redburr.   It seems that he had some of his servants asking around in local taverns in Southgate for any men willing to serve as guides into the Elotrush Mountains.”

“That would be extremely dangerous, if they got out of sight of Southgate!”  Mutt exclaimed, “I know for a fact there are quite a few hostile Orcs and Ogres deep into the mountains.”

 

From the tent flap, Carn gave a growl-like sound of agreement to the Goblin’s words.

Sam turned to Mutt, “Well, we think that is exactly why they were going there " to meet with the Orcs, and, more importantly, with the Ogres.”

“Why?” Aedric asked, “Even if Redburr was enlisting their aid, surely he couldn’t conceal a force of Orcs and Ogres marching here.”

 

Sam nodded, “We know that the mercenary forces here now are all human.   But five days ago in Southgate, there came from the south, about thirty covered wagons, all guarded by horsemen who wore the badges of Earl Redburr.   They didn’t stop in Southgate, except to rest their horses, and of course they drew attention from the pass guards.   They told the guards they were taking supplies north for the Queen’s Tournament and they allowed them to pass without checking any of the wagons!”

Thorm whistled, “Someone bribed the guards " they have orders to check each wagon comin’ from the south.”

 

“That is the conclusion we reached.   I was able to personally get close enough to one of the last wagons to quickly glance inside.   It was loaded down with very large sized crude swords, axes, shields, and a huge amount of food supplies " mostly meat" as if the wagon I looked into was part of the supply train of an army.”

“But where are the Ogres and Orcs?” Snoe asked.

“Probably in the other wagons; I noticed that the horsemen guarding the convoy seemed to be mostly massed around the middle wagons instead of the lead and rear as most guards tend to do.   I suspect they were there to keep any curious person away from learning the truth.”

“How many Ogres could each wagon carry?”  Aedric asked.

“Probably only two, and they would be cramped down and uncomfortable.”

“The weapons and shields " ye said they were large sized?”  Thorm asked the Bitter Dreg messenger while still scratching his beard.

“Yes; definitely not the size an Orc would use.   Too large for humans as well.   I only saw one wagon, so they may have others with regular sized weapons, but I would guess that at the very least they are transporting a small number of Ogres, and perhaps as many as a score or so.”

“So, lad, where would they be now?” 

“Well, I reported immediately to Master Cilix with my findings, and he promptly dispatched me to ride here to warn you and the Queen.   I of course rode around the convoy and came as fast as I could, but I would say that they should be arriving about now.”

 

Thorm, Snoe, Mutt and Aedric all looked at each other in alarm.

“Sam”, Thorm said after a moment’s reflection, “Do ye think that this is an attempt by Redburr at a coup against the Queen?”

“I’d say, Master Thorm, that it would seem likely.   Redburr’s family has no love of Elves, and in fact Haroldris was hated for taking a fae wife by the members of his family.   But they still probably feel they have the best and only legitimate claim on the throne.”

 

“Redburr has a number of supporters in the South, and we know that he is good friends with several Imperial senators.    He was once heard to say that if he was King, he’d annex Northmarch into the Southern Empire and be perfectly content to serve as an Imperial governor with merely the title of King.   So this could be his plan.”

 

“He also is said to be a devout follower of Nunmontu, the heretic who has caused the serious challenge to Yesh’s church in the Southern Empire.   As it now stands, only about a quarter of the citizens of the Empire are followers of Yesh, and they worship in hiding, whereas Nunmontu has just erected his ‘Temple of the One True God’ on the very spot where the great Cathedral of Yesh the Merciful stood only seventy years ago.”

”If Redburr is indeed a Nunmontuite, then he certainly will have no love for any Yeshite here.   Master Cilix bid me to advise you extreme caution, for this could be a much larger problem than it appears.   Perhaps Redburr is just a tool by the new Emperor to take Northmarch.”

 

They all frowned at the mention of the new Emperor.  General Fortatius, upon the death of Prince Edwarren, had easily ascended to the long vacant throne as Emperor.  

While he was known to hunger for more territory and power, his legions were probably not strong enough to take Northmarch.  

 

The Kingdom had grown much more populated in the past 50 years, as multitudes of faithful followers of Yesh immigrated into Northmarch.   Now their army was a very formidable match against the diminished Imperial Legions.

 

Still, the tension between the Emperor and the stubborn Eioldth could not be denied and many feared that one day war would break out with the Southern Empire.

 

Thorm sighed deeply and stood up, “Thank ye, Sam, for your candor and advice.   I will warn the Queen and tell my men to be vigilant.   If ye feel up to it after your long ride, ye might just walk around and see if ye can hear or see any rumblings of a coup attempt.”

“What do you want us to do, boss?”  Mutt asked.

“Well, ye and Carn see if ye can locate those wagons, and if ye can, see if ye can find out what they hold.   Maybe they’ll be thrown off by your races and think ye are part of their number.   Don’t be a-goin’ and gettin’ into a fight though " just look curious and if they challenge ye, tell them ye are from East Point.   Make ‘em think ye are scurvy sailors on extended shore leave, lookin’ for weapons.   The corsairs in East Point have a number of goblins, hobgoblins and even Bugbears and Trolls on a few vessels, I’m told, so t’would make sense.” 

Thorm turned to Snoe and Aedric, “As for the two of ye, I want both of ye to just go on about your business as usual.   Snoe, ye watch for Redburr and his son and see what he is up to.  Aedric, as Queen’s Champion, ye will be able to stay close to the Queen, so watch for anything strange in the crowds or amongst the knights.”

“But I want all of ye to keep safe and low-key.   We don’t know what Redburr is plannin’, so keep on your toes, but look casual.  

 

Suddenly the loud sounds of a chorus of majestic trumpets filled the air, announcing that the tournament time was drawing near.

 

Thorm motioned for Aedric and Snoe to heed the call and the two hesitated for a moment, only to be rebuked gently by the Dwarf for their hesitation.  

“Hurry up, grab your gear and get up there, lad, ye are the Queen’s Champion and ye start the whole tourney!”  

Aedric hurriedly scooped up the add-on jousting pieces to his armor while Snoe shouldered his trio of lances.  

“Keep alert for trouble.”  Thorm called after them as they rushed out of the tent to join the other knights and squires for the opening ceremony.



© 2014 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

"...this could be much larger of a problem..." It may sound better "...this could be a much larger problem..."

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
1 Review
Added on March 28, 2014
Last Updated on April 26, 2014
Tags: Drow, Elf, Albino, Fantasy, Swords and Sorcery, Knights, Paladins, revenge, Marksylvania

Storms of Contention -- Marksylvania Book 1


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis