Negotiations

Negotiations

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

Aedric's solitude is interrupted by someone.

"

18.

Negotiations




 

He heard the footsteps come from behind him but wasn’t surprised or alarmed.   It had only been a matter of time before someone came, and he felt too weary to run.  Whoever it was came around the bench and stood in front of him quietly.

“Go away.” He said with a somber sigh, “I won’t cause any trouble to anyone.   I may drown myself in this lake if it is deep enough for that.”

“Please don’t do that; I’m not the best swimmer and I don’t know if I could pull you out wearing chainmail.  Then we’d both drown.”  

 

It was the monk, who came over and sat down next to him.  

“Brother Keaven, I’m not a believer in Yesh.”

“Well, that is quite obvious, really.   In fact, I’m quite certain I’m not the only one who knew.   Your Duke and Duchess are Paladins and they very likely could sense your evil, as could your foster parents.”

“I wouldn’t doubt it.”  Aedric said while he rubbed his eyes, “I certainly feel evil.”

“I’m glad of that.”

“You are?  Why?”

“Aedric, if you feel evil, then you are aware that something is wrong.”

“I know what is wrong, Brother Keaven.”   He snapped, annoyed at the monk’s presence.

“Oh yes, your father and brothers were killed by Duke Eleazar and his family.   You blame him for your father’s death and his daughter Snoe for lying about it which served as a catalyst for the whole thing.”

“I guess you heard me tell off Duke Dullerm.”

“Some of it; but actually I knew all about you before that.  You see, I was sent here tonight for you.”

 

Aedric looked over skeptically, “For me?   Do you expect me to believe that?”

“I don’t expect it, Aedric, but it is true.   Three months ago, a week before Queen Eioldth sent a message requesting that I come; I received a message from Yesh.   I was told while I was in prayer that I was to go to King’s Reach and speak to a young Elf named Aedric.   He gave me knowledge of who you were and what was tormenting you. “

Aedric sneered, “Uh huh.”

 

The Monk sighed, “You don’t believe me.   I’m not surprised.   Nevertheless, it is why I’m here now.   I don’t want you to end your life, Aedric.”

“So what DO you want, monk?   To convert me to your religion?   Make me into a monk?”

“I can’t do either thing, young man.   The decision of following Yesh is yours, and no amount of persuasion will convince someone of the validity of Yesh’s words.   No, I’m honestly not here to do either thing, Aedric.”

“Well, then why exactly are you here?”

“I want to just encourage you to live and let go of the anger and pain that consumes you.   If you never believe in Yesh at all, I would at the very least like to see you free of the anger and pain.”

“Why would you care?”

“I care because I know that you are actually a good and noble man who could do great and mighty things if you would let go of the things that are trying to control you.   Instead, take control of your own mind.”

“Ask yourself this, Aedric; if you could free yourself from the pain you feel, from your loss, and from your hatred of the Drow - what future would make you most happy?”

 

The young Elf thought for a second then snorted, shaking his head, “I can’t imagine a life without my anger.”

“I’m not surprised.   Let’s say that you were able to take your revenge and put the Duke and Duchess, as well as their children to death - what would you do then, if you successfully achieved this?”

“It wouldn’t happen, Brother Keaven.   We both know that Queen Eioldth would send her armies after me no matter where I went.”

“So in the end, it would probably end poorly for you?”

“Of course it would.”  Aedric rubbed his eyes, “I don’t have many options, monk.”

“No, you really don’t.   This is why you should try something radical.   What do you have to lose?”

“What radical thing do you think I should try?”

“First, simply talk frankly to Duke Dullerm.   Tell him just how you feel and also listen to him.”

“I already did; back in the feasting hall.”

“Well, you spoke frankly, but you didn’t go into detail, and you certainly didn’t allow him to respond.”

“I don’t care what he has to say.”

“But he does care what you have to say.”

“Sure he does.”  Aedric laughed.

“Aedric; Duke Dullerm is waiting just out of earshot for this conversation to end.   He wants to talk to you.   Now think about that for just a moment.  He could have ordered the guards to arrest you.   The Queen would have readily agreed.   But instead he quietly got up and asked me to come with him to talk to you.”

“No one except those at the table knows what happened.   He didn’t embarrass you.   He just wants to talk to you.   He even took his sword belt off, so you wouldn’t feel threatened.”

“And he sent you over to referee?”

“No, just to see if you would agree to talk with him in private.   If you agree, I’ll go back into the banquet and eat before all the good food is gone.   I’ll leave you alone with him, though I can assure you that I’ll be praying that the two of you can reach an agreement.”

“I doubt that, Brother Keaven.   But since I don’t really have many options open to me, I guess I’ll have to agree.”

“Good.   Just be brutally honest with him.   Who knows, you may find you both have a lot in common.”

 

“Yeah, sure.   Well, go on, send him over and let’s get this over with.”

“Very well; Aedric, you have the bearing of a King, you may find that your future can be wonderful if you just focus on it.”

“Right now all I can focus on is what is in front of me.   But I’ll talk to him… and listen.   I’ll give him that much.”

“Fair enough.   I know you mean it.    May Yesh give both of you wisdom.”

 

With that blessing, the Monk stood up and walked off, leaving Aedric to wait for the person he hated most in the world to come and speak with him.

 

 



© 2014 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
Added on March 17, 2014
Last Updated on April 23, 2014
Tags: Drow, Elf, Albino, Fantasy, Swords and Sorcery, Knights, Paladins, revenge, Marksylvania

Storms of Contention -- Marksylvania Book 1


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis