A Knight in the Rain

A Knight in the Rain

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

Aedric travels by night on his mission, but is being pursued.

"

44.

A Knight in the Rain

 

 

Even though the rain had diminished greatly, after a few hours riding in the dark with the steady drizzle falling, Aedric was soaked to the core and miserable.   To try to get his mind off his pathetic state, as he led the equally miserable horse northwest across the muddy open farmland, he forced himself to reflect on all that had happened in the last week and the best course forward.  

 

It didn’t take him long to come to the conclusion that everything hung on what he should do when he reached the Faesidhe forest.   He had no plans to rebel against Duke Dullerm now, but a tiny voice inside him kept asking him ‘Why not?’ over and over again.   He knew he could possibly stir up enough resentment among the more disillusioned of the Faesidhe toward the Duke and his family that they would possibly attempt an uprising.  

 

But though that idea would have thrilled him a week ago, now he was shamed to even think it.   ‘What happened to you?’ asked the same tiny voice with disdain.   He gathered his answer as if he expected to verbally give it to himself, but the exercise was enough to satisfy him.

 

He was indeed the son of the last King of the Faesidhe.   But why had he felt such pride in that status?   His mother had been more or less a political hostage to keep the Sylvan Elves passive against them.   Oh, she lived luxuriously and was treated like a Princess, but now after he had his eyes fully opened, he realized that the half smiles of the servants had been disdain toward the ‘lesser Elf’ princess.   Had she ever had leave to explore her new home, without first asking the King, and only then in the company of a handful of Faesidhe servant ladies and two royal guards?  

 

She’d spent most of her life in the concubines’ quarters and the beautiful, but high-walled gardens around it.   His father would come frequently enough to the quarters to visit her or one of his other concubines, and - less often- to see his son.   In truth, she had everything she could have wanted, except her freedom, and he now realized that the sad look in her brown eyes had been a longing for the very thing she could not gain for herself.

 

Of course he had been a Prince - but it seemed clear to him now that his status was only slightly better than his mother.   He was the half-blood prince, and while the King’s servants and court treated him with the proper respect, the same half-smile, amused look was on their faces.  

 

He had never lived with his father and half-brothers.   He had never stood behind the throne when his father held court.   He had never dined at the royal table with his father and half-brothers, but sat apart with the concubines and the lesser princess daughters.

 

Aedric wondered what his lot in life would have been had he remained as a lesser Prince.   Certainly he would have never inherited the throne, even if his brothers had all been dead.  

 

Instead, he would have probably been given some minor royal court duty or function.   Perhaps he would have been trained as an Elven knight and made a garrison commander of one of the far flung outposts at the edge of the forest.   Maybe it would have instead been a diplomacy job - perhaps sent back to his mother’s people as his father’s representative.  

 

At any rate, his status wouldn’t have changed and he would have almost been as imprisoned as his mother had been - only his jail would have been the longing to be thought of as equal as his brothers.   Never would he have made the grade and this would have fuelled his shame.

 

Had his father ever told him he loved him, or had any meaningful conversation with him at all?   Instead the brief encounters he had with the King had seemed like someone playing with a favorite pet or dullard child.   Brief, half-hearted and superficial.

 

Why hadn’t he seen it before now?   He had idolized the King and apparently had locked away in some dark corner of his mind, the memory of his father’s orders to kill everyone - men, women and children-  in Westmark.   He could still remember the frequent raving diatribes against the ‘evil Drow’ and their subjects. 

 

Then there was that vivid nightmare that he had somehow shared with Snoe.   It had been what the albino elf had gone through that terrible, terrible night - and since then he had been sickened to think of the horrible event.

 

All these things pulled the false mask off the face of his father and revealed an arrogant, cruel, evil tyrant that looked at all women as either playthings or tools to be used.  

 

When contrasted against the loving gentleness of his mother, then the equal gentleness of his foster parents, and now acceptance and respect from Duke Dullerm and his family, it tipped the balance heavily against the Faesidhe.   He had been denied a place in the Faesidhe community and acceptance, so why would he want to recreate a kingdom like that and betray the only people - aside from his late mother-  that had shown true goodness to him?  

 

Rather then do this, he would instead gladly ride in the cold rain across the plains and rolling hills of Westmark, to convince the Faesidhe to support Duke Dullerm.  He just hoped his decision wasn’t a foolish one.

 

As his mind exercised itself with thought, he vaguely became aware that it was once again daylight outside, though the amount of light was not much greater than that in the night.  A thick, wet fog covered the land and made his ride eerie and surreal.  Stopping only briefly from time to time to give his horse a rest, he travelled on, criss-crossing around the fences of scattered farms.   He saw very few people, and they never saw him as he rode the perimeters of their farms in the drizzle and mist.

 

***

 

It was late afternoon when he decided both he and his horse needed sleep.   He had to think like someone running from an enemy, just in case any of Redburr’s spies were watching him.   So he couldn’t lodge in an Inn, as he was on the edge of the duchy of Westmark and if he’d been fleeing from their Duke and Duchess, he wouldn’t stay anywhere public near their duchy.  

 

He found a huge farm, just a few miles south of his destination for today.   His goal was the winding Dwarven road that came out of the mountains from Forgestone from the north to Forge Gate, which, after going through the gate, then ran parallel to the foothills east and west on the northern border of Northmarch.   It terminated in the east after many long miles, at Nestle Rock, and in the west, after a dip southward, in Westmark.   But at Westmark it continued southward, reborn as the King’s Highway, while an unpaved path went on into the Faesidhe forest.

 

 

 

He’d have to ‘sneak’ past Westmark - in order to convince any spies watching him- then go into the forest without any of the Westmark gate guards seeing him.   But that was an obstacle he would not face for a few days.

 

For now he decided to cut into the huge corn field that bordered the Dwarven road and rely on the nearly harvestable plants to conceal him and his mount from the occasional traveler on the road or any of the local farmers, not to mention any spies.

 

After confirming that there was nobody around that he could discern, he quickly dismounted and led Rwalaer into the tall corn, attempting to move carefully so as to not leave a large path.   They tromped through the corn field on a zig-zagging path and finally settled in an area in the middle of the field, where the farmer had left a huge oak tree, along with an area free from corn that apparently was used as a resting spot by field workers.  

 

It was a perfect area for a camp and he hitched his war horse to the Oak tree and then groomed him.   Rwalaer was pleased for the food and rest under the partial cover of the old tree.

“Good boy.” He whispered to the horse, scratching behind his ears for a short while before he carried his saddle-bags a short distance away, under some of the thicker branches of the Oak, then sat down with a slight groan on the wet ground.

He wouldn’t dare a fire - and one probably wouldn't have been possible anyway in the wet air- but instead ate some crackers from his rations as he sat damp and weary, watching the rain drip from the tree branches for a long time.  

 

Leaning back against the trunk, he was beginning to think he’d be able to fall asleep in the drizzle, when, just as the grey day was fading into twilight, he heard the definite sound of a horse snorting in the direction from which he had entered the corn field.

 

Immediately he jumped to his feet, his ears fixed for the slightest sound.   He could hear something moving - the sounds of rustling and the occasional stalk of corn snapping underfoot.  It was a horse being led through the corn.   His path into the field had been found.

 

He knew he’d have no chance of quickly sneaking away with Rwalaer now, for his pursuer was too close.   Pulling his sword from its scabbard, he rushed into the corn, just to the right of where he’d entered the clearing.   Hopefully his horse tied there would make the spy enter and he could surprise them from behind.   From the sounds, it seemed that there was only one person leading a horse on foot, coming his way.

Hopefully just a farmer or hand and he could pay them for the damage to their crop as well as bribe them from telling anyone of his presence until he was long gone.

 

The sounds grew louder and he crouched down behind some corn plants, peering through the stalks in the growing darkness.

 

A moment later they crashed through into the clearing.   Even in the dark he knew immediately who it was and slapped his forehead in frustration.   For a ghostly pale arm was visible leading a horse, while the rest of her form was covered by a long grey Elven cloak.   It was Snoe.  

 

She stopped in the clearing, glancing around and he watched her for a moment, trying to decide what to do.  

He probably couldn’t escape her after dark with her Drow night vision and even if he did, she’d probably just continue following him.

 

How she had tracked him was the question burning in his mind, for he had been extremely careful in his travel and even a Ranger would have found it very difficult to track him.   But here she was, and he somehow knew that she had done this compulsively, without her parents agreeing on it.   They’d be livid about it.  

But even if he did evade her, she’d be wandering around looking for him alone.   While she certainly seemed to be much more capable of looking out for herself then he had thought, he still couldn’t stand the thought of her being out there alone.

 

With a deep breath, he stood up, causing her to spin around wide-eyed at his movement.   Her red eyes glowed in the dim light, “Sir Aedric?”

“Snoe, what in Yesh’s name are you doing here?!”

The girl smiled shyly and threw back her hood from her face, “I knew I could find you!”

“Why are you here?   Your father doesn’t know of this, does he?”

“Well, I’m sure he does by now.” She led her horse over to the tree where he had tethered Rwalaer and tied his reins to a different branch.

He just stood there stupefied at the carefree attitude of the girl.

“You ride very fast!”  She said, returning to where he stood, “I was a bit worried I wouldn’t be able to catch you.”

“That was the plan - how did you find me?”

“Well, it is easier at night because you and your horse give off heat and I can see it quite a ways off, and even find heat patterns in your boot prints.”

“That’s… unbelievable.” 

“I was amazed I was able to do it as well. I had never really used my night vision to track someone a long distance, but it worked.   By daylight, I just followed your horse’s tracks in the mud.”

“You still shouldn’t have been able to find me.   So why are you here, Snoe?”

“I’m here because you need my help.” She replied without looking directly at him.

“Snoe, you know that your father and I don’t think you should-“

“I know, I know!” She interrupted, annoyed, “Now you’re going to tell me that I should go back, right?”

“Well, no, actually, that wouldn’t be a good idea either.   I don’t want you tracing across the wild by yourself.”

“I was fine.” She replied with a hint of defiance.  

“You were lucky " if Redburr’s men had captured you, there is no telling what they would have done.”

She shrugged, “But they didn’t.”

“Snoe, that’s not the point.   This is a very dangerous time and our actions must be carefully considered.”

“Yes, this is why I am here.   You see, I considered my actions, and I disagree with you and father.   I feel I should be travelling with you to the Faesidhe.   I’m tired of not having the right to make my own decisions.”

“Snoe, this is not the right time to be a rebellious youth!   Your parents have enough to worry about, now they’ll think I let you come with me, or worse, that I forced you!”

 

She snorted, “Don’t worry, I left a note to them, and cleared you of all knowledge of my actions.”

“That doesn’t make me feel much better.   I can’t take you back to them and I’m not about to let you head off alone.”

She smiled a ‘got you’ sort of satisfied smile, “Well, I guess I’ll just have to come with you, huh?”

“To Westmark, yes.   The Dwarven road will end in Westmark, and once we reach it, you will stay behind and wait for your parents to arrive.”

She arched her eyebrows while crossing her arms across her chest, “No, I will NOT stay behind.”

“Yes you will.”

“No, I won't.”

“Snoe-“

“Don’t waste your breath, Sir Aedric; I’m going with you into the Faesidhe forest, whether you like it or not.    If you try to evade me, I’ll just follow behind you like before.”

Aedric rubbed his forehead, “Why are you being so stubborn?   Can’t you think rationally?”

“I am thinking rationally.   Your mission is to ensure the Faesidhe will support our forces against Redburr, correct?” 

“Yes.”

“Well I am part Faesidhe, you know.   If they see the Duke’s daughter with you, they’ll be more likely to see the importance of their support.”

“Snoe, you don’t know the Faesidhe people like I do.   Many are loyal to your parents; that is true, but the majority is only loyal as a result of your parents’ power and the support of the Queen.   With her gone, they will not feel so threatened, especially if they hear rumors of Redburr’s insurrection.   They may see you as a potential hostage, to regain their independence.”

 

She shrugged, “I’m not too worried - you are with me.”

“Has it ever occurred to you that I could not be what I seem?   What if I was actually going to join them in their rebellion?”

“You’re not.”

“You don’t know that!”

“Oh, sure I do.   You’re loyal to my father now, I KNOW that.”

He began to argue over how she knew this, but the confident look in her eyes made him hesitate.   It was almost as if somehow she did know his most intimate plans.   Her red eyes glowed brightly in the failing light and there was a hint of faeness about her that made him very nervous.

 

“Well, you are actually right, I am loyal to your father.” He finally said, after staring at her for a lengthy moment.

She nodded, smiling slightly.  

“Are you hungry?” He asked, hoping that conversation would dispel the uneasiness he was feeling.

“Yes, famished, actually!” She blinked as if coming out of a deep thought and resumed her charmingly shy persona.  

“Did you bring provisions for yourself and your horse?”

 

“Of course I did!” She replied, slightly annoyed, “I have it in my saddlebags.”

“How did you manage to get everything ready to follow me without your father finding out?”

“It wasn’t easy.   Mutt was the worst, for he figured out what I was doing.   He finally agreed to wait until the next morning to tell my parents that I had slipped out in the night.   He’s not much of a liar, though, so I suspect they’ll see through him.   I hope he doesn’t get into too much trouble.”

They walked back over to the horses and she groomed and fed her horse.  

“So you are just roughing it, I guess?  Sleeping in the rain and all?” She asked, looking up at the dark grey clouds in the late twilight.

He explained his reasoning about not seeking an Inn and she nodded in agreement.

“There is no Inn for probably 20 miles, anyway.” Snoe commented as she pulled out a bundle wrapped in white cloths, from the saddlebags.

“What do you have there?”

“Elven bread.”  She smiled, unrolling the cloths, “I got it from your mother, believe it or not.   I always loved Alis’ Elven bread.   I told her that I thought Carn was regaining consciousness and would be very hungry when he came to, so would she be so kind as to give me a few loaves.   I hated to lie to her.   Fortunately she made extra when she was baking your supply.   I couldn’t get any meat, but I did borrow a huge jug of nuts that we can share.”

 

A few minutes later they were seated under the oak tree in the light rain, their cloaks pulled over them, eating the honey-sweetened bread and breaking the shells of peanuts.   Though it was cold and wet Aedric found it not so miserable with the girl there sharing it with him.

 

“I wish we had a fire.” Snoe said after a while.

“It’s too dangerous here in the middle of the corn, besides, I don’t think I could get one going in this weather.”

“We’re going to freeze to death!”

“It’s not that cold, but yes, it does make for a miserable night after a long, cold, wet ride.”

The girl suddenly stood up and took her cloak off, then sat down right next to him, until they were touching.   She then threw her cloak over both of them.

“Uh… what are you-?”

“Body heat; our body heat will help keep the other one warm.   Like dogs do in the winter time; they curl up together.”

“But our clothes are wet; I don’t think it will do much good.”

“Well, it’s better than nothing; unless you want to take them off too and then our naked bodies would… no, I guess that probably wouldn’t be a good idea, huh?”

“Uh, no.” They both were blushing and laughed at their embarrassment.

“Sorry; stupid idea.” She apologized. 

“Well, it was a good idea, just not one either one of us can commit to.”

“That would be hard to explain to father.”

“Yep.”

 

They sat there, leaning back against the trunk of the tree, shivering until they finally fell asleep, wrapped in their soggy cloaks.

 

 



© 2014 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

"To try to get his mind of his pathetic state..." The "of" should be "off."
"He wouldn’t dare a fire..." I'm not sure if maybe something is missing here?

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

218 Views
1 Review
Added on April 12, 2014
Last Updated on May 9, 2014
Tags: Drow, Elf, Albino, Fantasy, Swords and Sorcery, Knights, Paladins, revenge, Marksylvania

Storms of Contention -- Marksylvania Book 1


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis