Courtiers

Courtiers

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

Aedric meets more family and finds himself battling jealousy and awkwardness

"

3

Courtiers

 

 

Aedric didn’t have long to wonder about Mathlyn’s departure, for her conversation to her ladies-in-waiting soon shifted as the women spoke to the Elven musicians that played music softly in the background.   Their abrupt ending to the gentle tune that they played and the smiles on the ladies’ faces told Aedric that dancing would soon commence.

But that was something he did not do.   Certainly as part of his training in courtly etiquette he had received lessons, but it was nothing he fancied.   Twirling around a giggling girl who would then think she was favored by him simply because they had danced, was insane to him.   Quickly he got up and began moving toward the door.

Glancing down the table, he was surprised to see a rather handsome young Elven man wearing the leather clothing of a Ranger, leaning over the table next to Snoe and clearly flirting with her.   He stopped his escape from the room for an instant to rudely stare at the scene, and thankfully they could not see him from where they sat.

Snoe seemed to know the young Ranger well and he was stunned to see her returning his flirts.   They laughed and he touched her arm as they sat eating fruit and nuts together.

 

The Elven band began playing some very lively dances to the delight of every one there except him.   The young Ranger’s eyes twinkled as the music began and he stood up, taking Snoe’s hand and bowing politely while gesturing to the dance floor.   Snoe smiled sweetly, curtsied, and jumped to her feet quickly to join him.

 

He backed up, hoping to escape their notice, and stepped down on the foot of someone behind him.   He heard a woman squeal in pain and he spun around to find a young lady with lovely straight brown hair, bending down to look at her foot.

“M’lady, I am so terribly sorry, I paid no attention where I was stepping.   Are you hurt?”

She wiggled her toes slightly and then stood back up with a slight smile, “Nothing broken.”

She was a pretty young Sylvan woman, slender and graceful with the typical fetching brown eyes of the people.   Her smile and look told him at once that she knew exactly who had stepped upon her foot and was not at all offended by it.

 

“Well, if you are alright then-“ He began, preparing to move past her, but she gently caught his arm and leaned in close to his ear.

“He’s Lord Mattleos, but here at court he’s known simply as ‘Lord Matt’.”

Aedric looked at her stupidly, “Who are you talking about?”

 

The girl smiled and nodded at the young Ranger who had taken Snoe out onto the dance floor, “The handsome young lord who is wooing your squire;   he’s Lord Mattleos,  the son of Lady Mattleia, the second oldest daughter of King Travin and Queen Mathlyn.   He, however, is King Travin’s oldest grandson.  His mother bore him a few years before you were born.   He’s your cousin...”

She watched him closely, as if expecting a certain reaction from him.   He shrugged.

“I didn’t meet him today when Queen Mathlyn introduced me to everyone.”

The girl’s eyebrows arched, “That’s because he just arrived with news of King Travin.   Lord Matt is one of the King’s trusted captains and he brought news of our forces arrival at Westmark.”

“Oh,” He simply replied, watching as the Elven captain began waltzing with Snoe.   They both moved with extreme grace and seemed quite harmonious together.   He found himself feeling somewhat sick inside, but he shook that off and glanced back at the young woman, “Uh, thanks for telling me all that.”

 

She smiled sweetly, “My pleasure, Prince Aedric.”

The title made him cringe, “No, it’s just Aedric, or Sir Aedric I guess, but not Prince.”

“But you are-“ She began, but he held up his hand and stopped her with a shake of his head.

“I’m nobody, really.   Now if you’ll excuse me-“

“If you’d dance with me, I’ll tell you about how Lord Matt knows your squire,” She quickly said, touching his arm again.

“Lady…um…”

“Nansea,”  She whispered.

“Lady Nansea, I’m afraid I’m a very poor dancer, and I have no right to delve into Lord Mattleos’ business.   Lady Snoe is not really my squire, either, she is the daughter of Duke and Duchess Dullerm and I have no right to gossip about her either.   Please excuse me.”

He bowed slightly and quickly spun on his heels, then rushed toward the door, certain that his rudeness to a lady of the court would create a scandal, but not caring.

 

Yet as she watched him go, Nansea was not offended, but smiled somewhat smugly, catching the eye of Mattleos from across the room and holding up a raised thumb.   The young lord nodded with a satisfied expression and turned his attention back to his dance partner.

 

***

 

Aedric had thought that Wood Elves would have lived in simple, wooden structures, probably high up in the trees.   But after a quarter of an hour of wandering around the maze of corridors and rooms of the royal palace, he realized in great frustration, that he was mistaken.

 

Having finally found a door that led outside, he was halfway exited, when a familiar female voice calling his name made him stop with trepidation and turn around.   To his great dismay, it was indeed Snoe, walking hand in hand with Lord Mattleos, but hurrying as if they had been seeking him.

Aedric kept the doorway open for a quick escape, but smiled politely as he turned toward them.

“Why aren’t you dancing?”   The albino Drow asked him as they drew near and the awkwardness nearly caused him to just bolt out the door.

“I’m not a very good dancer,” He replied, trying to sound relaxed and carefree.

“There is someone I want you to meet.”   She turned to the handsome lord.

“Lord Matt, this is Aedric.”

The Elven man released Snoe’s hand and extended it to Aedric, “I am Mattleos, one of His Majesty’s Captains of Horse, Prince Aedric, and I am most honored to meet you, Your Highness.”

 

There was no edge or malice in his voice, but immediately Aedric sensed a degree of disdain radiated by the lord.    He shook the man’s hand.

“Captain Mattleos, it is I who am honored to meet you.    I should tell you that I am not a prince and certainly am unworthy of such a title. “

His words seemed to greatly surprise the young nobleman.

“But sir, you are the oldest son of Princess Naella!   Surely you know that you are the heir to the King’s throne!”

Aedric shrugged, “So the Queen has told me, but it is not something I seek or desire.”

“You are also the son of the Faesidhe King!”  Mattleos said incredulously.

“He was an evil man who mistreated my mother, and in his eyes I was nothing other than a half-breed.    As I carry his blood in my veins, I am even more unworthy to be considered a prince in any way. “   He turned to exit, but the Elven lord grabbed his arm.

“So you have no desire to be the King’s heir?” He asked, looking at Aedric with piercing eyes.   Aedric met his gaze.

“No, Lord Mattleos, I do not desire that any more, in either Kingdom.   In fact, if Queen Mathlyn will permit it, I plan to find a horse and ride out of here tomorrow morning for Westmark.   I pledged my fidelity to Duke Dullerm and I should ride to his assistance.”   He politely pulled his arm free from the Elven lord.

“But we’ve only been here two days!”   Snoe exclaimed upon hearing his plan.

Aedric shrugged, “I plan to ride alone - stay and dance with your friends, Snoe.   I just don’t feel comfortable here.”

 

Before anyone could say anything else, he spun again on his heels and hurried out the door, hoping to get as far away from both of them as he could before he grew angry.   Briskly he walked out into the crisp autumn air of the Elven village, and did not look back until he had disappeared into the night.

 

Back in the hallway, Snoe and Mattleos both looked at each other for an instant, shaking their heads and chuckling.

“Well, I guess we were able to disprove both of our held beliefs,”   The Elven lord said to Snoe.

“Lord Matt, I should apologize for him; I didn’t think he’d be so curt to you.”

“Well clearly he is indeed jealous, Lady Snoe.   You do remember that I told you this?”

Snoe just looked at her feet, shrugging, “Well, I don’t know; perhaps he just thought I was acting childish in the midst of somber times, and this annoyed him.”

Mattleos smirked, “Snoe, how long have you known him?”

“Not long - perhaps a week or slightly longer.”

“One week?”

“Yes… I think that is about right; it has been a whirlwind period of high stress.”

“Yet in this short period of time you have developed a… fondness… for him.”

Again she just looked at her feet and shrugged.

 

Mattleos smiled, not wanting to embarrass her further, “Snoe, I’ve known you for many years and never have I seen you so… animated and… what is the word I’m looking for… how about ‘alive’?   Yes, that is it.   You seem alive now Snoe.”

“My heavens, you are even speaking to me.   Nansea and I were so thrilled to finally hear your voice.    Lady Snoe, if this temperamental Knight has brought this change about, he is indeed special.”

 

“I don’t think he was lying, either, Lord Mattleos; he really doesn’t want to rule… anywhere.”

“That did indeed surprise me, but pleasantly.   I will ask my sister what he said to her before he rushed out when he saw us dancing.   Perhaps she will confirm what we saw in him tonight.”

 

Snoe frowned, “I sure hope I didn’t hurt him too badly.   He seemed rather upset, and really I don’t know why. “

“I know why, Snoe.   Perhaps you should find him before he tries something crazy like stealing a horse and riding off without the Queen’s permission.”

 

Snoe nodded, “Yeah, that might not be a bad idea, as he has done that to me before.   Thanks, Mattleos, for helping me with that little test.   You are a good friend.   Now I just need to convince Aedric that a good friend is all that you are to me.”

“Good luck”, He called to her as she hurried out the door, “I suspect you’ll need it with him.”

 

 

***

 

Aedric was completely confused at his jealousy over the Elven Lord’s relationship with Snoe.   He hadn’t even known the girl for a month yet, but for some reason he felt challenged by Mattleos.    Too much had changed in his life too quickly, and his confusion defied the order for which he strived to live.

 

But there was no escape for him.   He couldn’t simply leave, for he did not want to insult his grandmother.    Yet he could not stand to be treated as the crown prince by the friendly Sylvan people.   They did not really know him, but seemed so enthusiastic about him anyway.   It made no sense to pin their hopes on him.   First of all, their King still lived, and secondly, no one had asked his opinion of the status with which they had showered him.

They were all watching him, monitoring him, expecting him to act the part they had given him.    But there was no escape; no time away from them to think.   It was like he was a child again in the Faesidhe Kingdom, yet instead of the respectful distain for his slightly lower status (compared to the other Princes);  here he was the golden child.

 

He found this nearly as bad as being over-looked.   He was a half-breed in either Kingdom and was at home in neither one.   

Aedric found himself outside of the Elven cemetery where the Sylvan Elves honored their dead with monuments.

Though his mother had not been buried there, the King had erected a monument for her under an old Oak tree and she was said to have an empty tomb in the royal crypt.    Mathlyn had shown him the monument earlier that day during his whirlwind tour of the woodland capital.

 

Though it only was a marker with her name upon it, Aedric found some peace standing looking down upon it in the crisp autumn air.

 

“What am I going to do, mother?”   He asked it, as if speaking to her in person, “I don’t belong here; I’m too tainted to stay here.    I made a vow to Duke Dullerm.   I should ride at once to assist him.”

“Is it not pleasant here?” A female voice replied and it chilled him for a moment, for it almost sounded like his mother’s voice.   He turned to find Queen Mathlyn standing nearby.

“Your Majesty, I apologize for my rudeness, but-“

“Ah, you address me formally again, child.    Do you fear your family?”

“No, Amilyo, I just don’t feel... comfortable, relaxing here while Westmark is in danger.    I am a Knight of Yesh and I pledged fidelity to Duke Dullerm, so it is my responsibility to ride to his aid in times of war.”

 

Mathlyn smiled knowingly, “Good reasons to leave, child.   Noble reasons, but not the only ones, I fear.”

He hung his head, “Forgive me… I just don’t feel like I belong here.   Everyone is treating me like I am a prince and…. Well, it just feels wrong to me.”

“Why, child?   You are, by the Sylvan Elves’ customs, the heir to the King.”

“Yes, but Lord Mattleos would make a far better heir.   He is older than me.”

“So you have met your cousin?”

“Yes, Snoe introduced me to him.”  He replied, with a bit of frustration slipping out in his voice.

“Aedric, do not let only that which you see convince you that you know all that lies beneath.   Mattleos is my oldest grandchild and I know his heart and mind.   Do not fear his intentions.”

“I don’t fear them, Amilyo.   He should be king of the Sylvan people some day.”

“He is not the one.”   Mathlyn flatly stated, “He knows this, Aedric.   We have long spoken of it.”

“Amilyo, I do not believe that I would be fit to serve as the King of these people, some day.   Mattleos has lived among them; he should be the proper choice.   If I forsake my claim, he would be next in line, wouldn’t he?”

 

Mathlyn sighed, “Yes, child, he would, but you shall not forsake your claim.”

 

He started to argue that point, but something in her voice told him that she had some sort of foresight and spoke those words with complete confidence.

“Amilyo, I wish to ride tomorrow morning for Westmark to aid Lord Dullerm… as well as King Travin.”

 

She shook her head, “Child, it will be over before you would even arrive.   You seek to run away from your new found destiny.”

“Don’t deny it, child, for I am older than the trees and I know the hearts of men and Elves.    I shall not stop you from leaving, Aedric.   Instead, I will even aid you in your desire.”

“ I have a scroll, Aedric, with a teleportation spell upon it.   It is the last one in my collection, and as you probably know, there has recently been a change in the flow of magic.   Where a spell - such as teleportation-used to be easily cast by one skilled in the casting, now we can only enchant devices or scrolls with the spell, and then it is a lengthy process. “

“The ring I used to transport us all here was a relic of many centuries ago, and it only transfers the wielder and her party back to Tarmard.   This last scroll can be used but once and then the enchantment is lost.   But I will cast it upon you tomorrow morning to transport you to Westmark if you so desire.   But with one condition.”


“Name it, Amilyo.”

“That you will not abandon your claim to the throne of the Sylvan people.    We will not force this upon you, but promise me that you will follow Yesh and see where God leads you to go.   If you promise that - which is indeed the central vow of a Paladin- then I will be satisfied.”

Aedric didn’t hesitate for a moment and agreed.

“Very well, child.   I will go and make preparations.   Meet me at dawn in the audience chamber and I will transport you there to fulfill your vow.”

Aedric bowed, “Thank you, Amilyo.   It is my duty to keep my vows.”

She smiled, “Indeed.   Remember this, child, for Yesh will bring you to places where you do not think you should be.”

She touched his cheek with her hand and without another word to him, turned and disappeared into the night.

 

Aedric watched her go and then hurried back to his quarters to pack what few things he had brought here and to get some rest.

 

From not far away, a cloaked form with glowing red eyes watched him go and immediately rushed off to also make plans.

 

 



© 2014 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I just enjoyed reading the Chapter, Eddie. Even this tale is something we can relate with our own stories. The jealousy. The self-doubt. The test. I like the concept.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Eddie Davis

9 Years Ago

Thanks, Dhaye.
"...instead of the respectful distain..." You should have "disdain" here.

Ah! I love the little bit of jealousy here, and Snoe's uncertainty about Aedric's feelings towards her. I really felt for poor Aedric...nicely written.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Eddie Davis

10 Years Ago

Thanks, Elina, their relationship has some surprises coming...

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

210 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 4, 2014
Last Updated on May 10, 2014
Tags: Drow, Elf, Albino, Fantasy, Swords and Sorcery, Knights, Paladins, romance, Marksylvania


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis